What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dropbox Confusion-HELP

gapman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have downloaded Dropbox on my PC and moved some files into the Dropbox folder. When I sych my Ipad up to the Itunes website, I look unnder "my IUpad". , Apps and then scroll down to the bottom of the page. Dropbox is NOT there, but Pages, PDF Reader and GroupMail apps are.

Q: How do I get the Dropbox app to appear in this section, so I can add files to it while I am connected to Itunes*by USB connection). I can add files to Pages, PDF Reader and other aps, but no Dropbox. When I go to dropbox on my Ipad I ca't figure out how to retrieve files from my PC either.

Thanks

Note: I do not use the Cloud feature, as I prefer to synch up through my PC for my IPad

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand your question or problem...but you need to get the dropbox app on your iPad...through the App store. Open it, enter your info, then it will let you see the files that are in your dropbox. You can then download files to your iPad selectively. Using the sync cable to load files into dropbox really defeated the entire idea of using Cloud storage. You should not need to use iTunes at all.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have downloaded Dropbox on my PC and moved some files into the Dropbox folder. When I sych my Ipad up to the Itunes website, I look unnder "my IUpad". , Apps and then scroll down to the bottom of the page. Dropbox is NOT there, but Pages, PDF Reader and GroupMail apps are.

Q: How do I get the Dropbox app to appear in this section, so I can add files to it while I am connected to Itunes*by USB connection). I can add files to Pages, PDF Reader and other aps, but no Dropbox. When I go to dropbox on my Ipad I ca't figure out how to retrieve files from my PC either.

Thanks

Note: I do not use the Cloud feature, as I prefer to synch up through my PC for my IPad

Dropbox doesn't work that way (where you can drag-n-drop files using iTunes. What you need to do is go to the Dropbox web site and install a program from them onto your PC. This program will then create a Windows Explorer-like folder on your PC. Then, you can move files into the folder and it will automatically sync with your online Dropbox account - which means you can access the files from within the Dropbox app on your iPad.

I hope this makes sense. If not, go to www.dropbox.com and they'll have tutorials and such to help. Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
G

gapman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK-I created a Cloud account for my Ipad and IPhone. I downloaded the Dropbox program to both my PC and my Ipad and my IPhone. I then moved a variety of files into the folders on the Dropbox program Directory(watched some youtube tutorials) on my PC. Now:

Now: How do I get these files to transfer to my IPad Dropbox program ? I see some of the files(in my IPad Dopbox) I transferred on my PC, but not all of them. Should I drag all the files into the "pblic folder" on my PC first ? Or, should I create new folder called "Ipad" in my Dropbox Directory on my PC and drag all files there ?

I tried to sign on t my Dropbox Accoun from my Ipad, but when I got to the site there was no prompt to sign into my account with my password(just the screen to download the program again) !

Any suggestions ? Thanks a lot

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK-I created a Cloud account for my Ipad and IPhone. I downloaded the Dropbox program to both my PC and my Ipad and my IPhone. I then moved a variety of files into the folders on the Dropbox program Directory(watched some youtube tutorials) on my PC. Now:

Now: How do I get these files to transfer to my IPad Dropbox program ? I see some of the files(in my IPad Dopbox) I transferred on my PC, but not all of them. Should I drag all the files into the "pblic folder" on my PC first ? Or, should I create new folder called "Ipad" in my Dropbox Directory on my PC and drag all files there ?

I tried to sign on t my Dropbox Accoun from my Ipad, but when I got to the site there was no prompt to sign into my account with my password(just the screen to download the program again) !

Any suggestions ? Thanks a lot

The Dropbox app on your iPad and iPhone should show all the folders and files you have loaded into Dropbox via the computer. The only time it may not show is if it is still uploading to the Dropbox servers. As Dropbox is a cloud service, it does take time to transfer everything over the Internet from your PC to Dropbox.

I don't understand what you mean by trying to run the Dropbox account on your iPad. Did you download the [free] app from the App Store? Then, when you first launch the app, you put in your Dropbox account details (the same Dropbox your PC is linked to). Then, you should be able to use the app on your iPad (and your iPhone).

Hope that clarified things. Holler back if you've still got questions.

Marilyn

OP
G

gapman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think putting in my Dropbox Account Settils in my IPad Dropbox app is where the problem is. Where, precisely, do I enter my Dopbox uername and password on the IPad Dropbox settings(same sata as on my PC account) ? I can see my e-mail address in IPad Dropbox settings, but I don' see a field to put my passwaord in. What am I missing ? Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you first downloaded the Dropbox app, you should have gotten this screen the first time you opened it:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345405463.009479.jpg

Enter the e-mail and password for your account (which should be the same one that you use on the computer)

Now, if it got messed up, or you have two different accounts, open your Dropbox app and go to the Settings tab (in the left column, last icon on the right). Scroll down until you see a red button that reads "Unlink Dropbox from this iPad. Like this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345405590.398002.jpg

Once that action's complete, you should then get the screen as in the first picture I posted. Essentially, start over from the beginning.

Hope that helps.

Marilyn

OP
G

gapman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That did it !! Worked gret after I deleted the first install and activated it over again. Thanks a LOT for your help. This forum is just terrific for a new Ipad user(with helpfu, patient l folks like you).

Most reactions

Latest posts