What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dropbox and saving files to IPad for manipulation...

Mattbombhead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum,

I wonder if anyone could answer a question...

I've taken some video on my iPhone 4, and wish to move them to my iPad via Dropbox.

The files are in Dropbox on my iPad, but I can't access them to edit using iMovie... Is there something I'm missing?

Saving the files as favourites makes them available for 'offline viewing', but not for editing.

Anyone got any ideas?

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What is the format of the video? Some formats are not compatible with the iPad, or with iMovie.

Kricke

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Maybe this workaround might help.
From dropbox or other storages I copy the movie file via PC/iTunes to the photo library/camera roll of the iPad.
And from there, iMovie will be able to open the file.

If you do not have access to iTunes or do not want to use it, well, then I have no solution.
I tried goodreader, but I could not open the movie with "open in" in iMovie.
And I think I read somewhere that iMovie will only open files from photo library.

If someone else has a solution, would be great.

Hope this helps.

Knut

OP
M

Mattbombhead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help so far...

The video is .mov, and was taken on an iPhone 4. I can open the files in iMovie on the iPhone, but obvious.y, it's easier to play with the video on the iPad.

I don't have access to iTunes, so any pc solutions are out.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iMovie can only access video files if they are in the Camera Roll on the iPad (or elsewhere in the Photos app).

From a hardware standpoint it is possible to use the iPhone's cable and the Camera Connection Kit to import movies and photos from the iPhone to the iPad.

There are several apps that can also do this via wi-fi or bluetooth. May favorite is PhotoSync (no spaces). The app is universal. You download and start it on both devices. They will find each other. You can then select and transfer photos or videos (in Photos) between them.

There are other solutions. These are the two I use.

OP
M

Mattbombhead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iMovie can only access video files if they are in the Camera Roll on the iPad (or elsewhere in the Photos app).

There are several apps that can also do this via wi-fi or bluetooth. May favorite is PhotoSync (no spaces). The app is universal. You download and start it on both devices. They will find each other. You can then select and transfer photos or videos (in Photos) between them.

There are other solutions. These are the two I use.

To be honest, this is the kind of thing I'm looking at... However, even though both devices are connected to the same network connection. I can't get them to 'see' each other...

Bluetooth also doesn't seem to be working... I have Bluetooth devices connected to my iPhone, but have never (until now) needed to connect anything via Bluetooth to the iPad...

Both devices are running iOS 5.1 if that helps anyone...

OP
M

Mattbombhead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought this app 2 or 3 hours ago, installed it on an iPad2, iPod Touch and iPhone, all on iOS 5.1, and wow, works like it is supposed to work.

Knut

I bought it this morning, installed on iPad 2 and IPhone 4, devices won't connect to each other...

Am gonna try deleting and renown loading...

OP
M

Mattbombhead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, all sorted, just moved files across no dramas, after reinstall.

Thanks for the help :)

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I actually use my iPhone 4 to shoot video then move them to my iPad via my PC. I drag them off my iPhone to a folder called "iPhone videos" and have that folder set-up as a folder to sync to my iPad via the photos settings. That folder shows up in the photos app, which I can access from Avid.

Also, if you've already got the video off of the iPhone, you can sync directly to the app via File Sharing in iTunes whilst your iPad is connected. file Sharing is under the apps list in the Apps tab after you have selected your device on the left.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I bought it this morning, installed on iPad 2 and IPhone 4, devices won't connect to each other...

Am gonna try deleting and renown loading...

Make sure you got the right app. There is one called Photo-Sync and the one you want named PhotoSync. I guess I should have said (no dash) instead of (no space). Sorry.

DayZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Download Dropbox Movie to iPad iMovie

Upload movie to Dropbox from iPhone
Open movie in Dropbox on iPad
The "Download" icon will be dimmed (unavailable)
Make movie a "Favorite"; select the "Star" icon
Dropbox will do some background processing that will eventually make the "Download" icon available
Select "Download" icon an save movie to "Photo Library"
The movie will now be available in iMovie for editing

Most reactions