What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragonvale Tips & Tricks! (NO Friend Requests!)

Aries1979

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This forum is very quiet at the moment. Thank you everyone for your gifts of gems every day. That at least shows me that you are still playing. I am having no luck with breeding the dragons I am after. Please Wizards send the magic our way.

I can't gift as often as I'd like as my game keeps crashing. All I need is a Winter display egg at the moment. Come on Wizards and give Jo her dragons! :)

ms sparkle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This forum is very quiet at the moment. Thank you everyone for your gifts of gems every day. That at least shows me that you are still playing. I am having no luck with breeding the dragons I am after. Please Wizards send the magic our way.
I ams till playing yes, but I am fortunate in that I have all the dragons already. So all I can do atm is giving gifts which I do every day. And collecting gems from my gems dragons too of course ;-)

Happy breeding everyone! ✨✨✨✨✨

Mossyman87

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still here :). Well almost got at least 1 of all the limited dragons from the bring it back event (excluding the gemstone). Just need rose dragon and spring dragon. Also manage to get my second mistletoe and a second panlong that I never got. So I would call it a successful event for me :) hope everyone else is doing well.

GC ID: Mossyman87

marie6065

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As for me, it's the winter dragon. I have had 50 + fails now. I managed to breed one last week, however even my level 20 dragons can't snag one. 2 lunar eclipse and many many fails. Is it just me, or is it getting harder?

I was very happy to get my Celtic with the bring them back dragons. The dilemma was, hatch it, or get the egg pedestal? Went for hatching. When the magic is finally lifted from our breeding caves, there are a few dragons I need to breed.

Happy New Year everyone. May 2014 be an awesome year for you, filled with an abundance of blessings.

It's not going to happen Di, Apparently they have fixed the glitch in the game that allowed us to breed 100% from the same dragons. I was reading it yesterday on the DV forum but for the life of me I cannot find it now. :(

GC ID: ~ mari3c ~ Patience & Perseverance

Natgnat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not going to happen Di, Apparently they have fixed the glitch in the game that allowed us to breed 100% from the same dragons. I was reading it yesterday on the DV forum but for the life of me I cannot find it now. :( GC ID: ~ mari3c ~ Patience & Perseverance

I just bred 2 centuries and 2 mistletoe yesterday and got a century and mistletoe! It is still doable right now.

Natgnat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bred 2 centuries and 2 mistletoe yesterday and got a century and mistletoe! It is still doable right now.

Or maybe I'm not understanding what you mean, Marie. Do u mean they are never going to lift the magic from the breeding caves?

marie6065

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Or maybe I'm not understanding what you mean, Marie. Do u mean they are never going to lift the magic from the breeding caves?

Found it!

Quote:

Emandbuddy wrote to BFS to find out why x+x=x doesn't work anymore.

This is their response.

Bryan Mashinter (BACKFLIP STUDIOS)

Oct 24 12:26 (CDT)

Hi there,

We received your email expressing frustration with the recent changes to the breeding rules in DragonVale. Please allow me to explain why, as the game's developers (and personally as the Producer on the game), we felt it was an important and necessary change.

The truth is the old breeding rule that allowed 100% chance of breeding Rainbow + Rainbow = Rainbow was a bug that made it into the game. We refrained from fixing the 100% bug mostly because of the belief that it would make the community angry.

So why decide to change it now? Why risk the anger of the community? We believe it's important for the overall health and fun of the game, as well as an important step for the future. Let me explain...

When a player has unlimited access to Rainbow, Leap Year or Panlong Dragons (as an example), they essentially have access to unlimited resource generation. Not everyone does this, but a number of people then get rid of every other dragon and habitat and churn out DragonCash so that it becomes a semi-useless resource. Then they can make as much food as possible, quickly level all dragons and then the fun of collecting, raising and nurturing the dragons is diminished.

Secondarily, one of the most fun things about the game (in my opinion) is breeding. You mix a Plant and a Fire Dragon...and who knows what you'll get. Forest? Poison? Flower? The not knowing is part of the fun. When we guarantee a result we're essentially removing the fun from breeding.

Lastly, changing the automatic breeding rule was an important first step toward allowing Epic Dragon Breeding. Imagine the cool combinations of allowing a Rainbow + Sun Dragon to breed. Gold Olympus + Leap Year? We have plans for the future of DragonVale to allow for some really cool new combinations and possibilities...but the only way to make that possible is to break the 100% rule.

We understand that a number of players have become accustomed to the 100% chance breeding rules and planned around them. We would like to find a way to help those players feel better about the current changes, but in order to do what we have planned for the future, we can't guarantee that X + X = X. I encourage you to submit some feedback and engage in the discussion of how to solve this issue by writing an email to [email protected]

I can't promise we'll use everyone's ideas, but I can promise we'll listen to the community and try and find a solution that both benefits the future of the game as well as the amazing community of players we have built.

Cheers,

BRYAN MASHINTER
PRODUCER
BACKFLIP STUDIOS

Hope this helps explain it.

Natgnat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Found it! Quote: Emandbuddy wrote to BFS to find out why x+x=x doesn't work anymore. This is their response. Bryan Mashinter (BACKFLIP STUDIOS) Oct 24 12:26 (CDT) Hi there, We received your email expressing frustration with the recent changes to the breeding rules in DragonVale. Please allow me to explain why, as the game's developers (and personally as the Producer on the game), we felt it was an important and necessary change. The truth is the old breeding rule that allowed 100% chance of breeding Rainbow + Rainbow = Rainbow was a bug that made it into the game. We refrained from fixing the 100% bug mostly because of the belief that it would make the community angry. So why decide to change it now? Why risk the anger of the community? We believe it's important for the overall health and fun of the game, as well as an important step for the future. Let me explain... When a player has unlimited access to Rainbow, Leap Year or Panlong Dragons (as an example), they essentially have access to unlimited resource generation. Not everyone does this, but a number of people then get rid of every other dragon and habitat and churn out DragonCash so that it becomes a semi-useless resource. Then they can make as much food as possible, quickly level all dragons and then the fun of collecting, raising and nurturing the dragons is diminished. Secondarily, one of the most fun things about the game (in my opinion) is breeding. You mix a Plant and a Fire Dragon...and who knows what you'll get. Forest? Poison? Flower? The not knowing is part of the fun. When we guarantee a result we're essentially removing the fun from breeding. Lastly, changing the automatic breeding rule was an important first step toward allowing Epic Dragon Breeding. Imagine the cool combinations of allowing a Rainbow + Sun Dragon to breed. Gold Olympus + Leap Year? We have plans for the future of DragonVale to allow for some really cool new combinations and possibilities...but the only way to make that possible is to break the 100% rule. We understand that a number of players have become accustomed to the 100% chance breeding rules and planned around them. We would like to find a way to help those players feel better about the current changes, but in order to do what we have planned for the future, we can't guarantee that X + X = X. I encourage you to submit some feedback and engage in the discussion of how to solve this issue by writing an email to [email protected] I can't promise we'll use everyone's ideas, but I can promise we'll listen to the community and try and find a solution that both benefits the future of the game as well as the amazing community of players we have built. Cheers, BRYAN MASHINTER PRODUCER BACKFLIP STUDIOS Hope this helps explain it. GC ID: ~ mari3c ~ Patience & Perseverance

Thanks for the information! I just put in cyclops + cyclops just to meet one of my goals. Let's see what happens. :)

Suzabella

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I haven't checked but I wouldn't be surprised if they ended the time to breed by February 1. Good luck! If we could gift dragons, I'd gift one to you ;)

Thx, nat!

I don't have mistletoe or winter yet. Plus I'm pretty clueless as to s
What I am missing since we got light and dark! I'm out of the DV loop!

Found it! Quote: Emandbuddy wrote to BFS to find out why x+x=x doesn't work anymore. This is their response. Bryan Mashinter (BACKFLIP STUDIOS) Oct 24 12:26 (CDT) Hi there, We received your email expressing frustration with the recent changes to the breeding rules in DragonVale. Please allow me to explain why, as the game's developers (and personally as the Producer on the game), we felt it was an important and necessary change. The truth is the old breeding rule that allowed 100% chance of breeding Rainbow + Rainbow = Rainbow was a bug that made it into the game. We refrained from fixing the 100% bug mostly because of the belief that it would make the community angry. So why decide to change it now? Why risk the anger of the community? We believe it's important for the overall health and fun of the game, as well as an important step for the future. Let me explain... When a player has unlimited access to Rainbow, Leap Year or Panlong Dragons (as an example), they essentially have access to unlimited resource generation. Not everyone does this, but a number of people then get rid of every other dragon and habitat and churn out DragonCash so that it becomes a semi-useless resource. Then they can make as much food as possible, quickly level all dragons and then the fun of collecting, raising and nurturing the dragons is diminished. Secondarily, one of the most fun things about the game (in my opinion) is breeding. You mix a Plant and a Fire Dragon...and who knows what you'll get. Forest? Poison? Flower? The not knowing is part of the fun. When we guarantee a result we're essentially removing the fun from breeding. Lastly, changing the automatic breeding rule was an important first step toward allowing Epic Dragon Breeding. Imagine the cool combinations of allowing a Rainbow + Sun Dragon to breed. Gold Olympus + Leap Year? We have plans for the future of DragonVale to allow for some really cool new combinations and possibilities...but the only way to make that possible is to break the 100% rule. We understand that a number of players have become accustomed to the 100% chance breeding rules and planned around them. We would like to find a way to help those players feel better about the current changes, but in order to do what we have planned for the future, we can't guarantee that X + X = X. I encourage you to submit some feedback and engage in the discussion of how to solve this issue by writing an email to [email protected] I can't promise we'll use everyone's ideas, but I can promise we'll listen to the community and try and find a solution that both benefits the future of the game as well as the amazing community of players we have built. Cheers, BRYAN MASHINTER PRODUCER BACKFLIP STUDIOS Hope this helps explain it. GC ID: ~ mari3c ~ Patience & Perseverance

Thx for re post! Interesting!

GCID: princesssuzabella

dizdizdizzy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marie. I seriously think they have made a mistake on the 100% rule. I personally like the guarantee every now and again of getting what I want by being intentional - breeding the same dragons - to get the same dragon in return. I have been playing for so long, I found it difficult to read the change of rules. I've been hanging out for the magic to leave the market. I was sadly mistaken.

And still no winter dragon. What's with that? My levels 20 air and mountain are breeding everything but a winter dragon. Clearly they have changed the ruling on level 20 dragons too.

So, to all who can't get what they want or need, seems like it's going to get a little bit frustrating. Good luck everyone!

oldsmol

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Found it!

Quote:

Emandbuddy wrote to BFS to find out why x+x=x doesn't work anymore.

This is their response.

Bryan Mashinter (BACKFLIP STUDIOS)

Oct 24 12:26 (CDT)

Hi there,

We received your email expressing frustration with the recent changes to the breeding rules in DragonVale. Please allow me to explain why, as the game's developers (and personally as the Producer on the game), we felt it was an important and necessary change.

The truth is the old breeding rule that allowed 100% chance of breeding Rainbow + Rainbow = Rainbow was a bug that made it into the game. We refrained from fixing the 100% bug mostly because of the belief that it would make the community angry.

So why decide to change it now? Why risk the anger of the community? We believe it's important for the overall health and fun of the game, as well as an important step for the future. Let me explain...

When a player has unlimited access to Rainbow, Leap Year or Panlong Dragons (as an example), they essentially have access to unlimited resource generation. Not everyone does this, but a number of people then get rid of every other dragon and habitat and churn out DragonCash so that it becomes a semi-useless resource. Then they can make as much food as possible, quickly level all dragons and then the fun of collecting, raising and nurturing the dragons is diminished.

Secondarily, one of the most fun things about the game (in my opinion) is breeding. You mix a Plant and a Fire Dragon...and who knows what you'll get. Forest? Poison? Flower? The not knowing is part of the fun. When we guarantee a result we're essentially removing the fun from breeding.

Lastly, changing the automatic breeding rule was an important first step toward allowing Epic Dragon Breeding. Imagine the cool combinations of allowing a Rainbow + Sun Dragon to breed. Gold Olympus + Leap Year? We have plans for the future of DragonVale to allow for some really cool new combinations and possibilities...but the only way to make that possible is to break the 100% rule.

We understand that a number of players have become accustomed to the 100% chance breeding rules and planned around them. We would like to find a way to help those players feel better about the current changes, but in order to do what we have planned for the future, we can't guarantee that X + X = X. I encourage you to submit some feedback and engage in the discussion of how to solve this issue by writing an email to [email protected]

I can't promise we'll use everyone's ideas, but I can promise we'll listen to the community and try and find a solution that both benefits the future of the game as well as the amazing community of players we have built.

Cheers,

BRYAN MASHINTER
PRODUCER
BACKFLIP STUDIOS

Hope this helps explain it.

This is a very interesting reading.

If you put it on the stowe and reduce it, I think you can find this:

- we do not earn any money on those old players, who has succeded in getting pairs, and are able to breed for example Rainbow dragons, just to get money from those. They are no good customers. They don't buy any longer, even if they put quite a lot of money in this play many months ago.
- we don't give a **** for those oldies, but let them come with suggestions ... We still don't give a ****.
- we know they are not people who has played on jailbraked devices, but never mind - they do not buy enough.

;)

Last edited:

dizdizdizzy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey olds! I think that there may be an element of truth in your message. Some of my islands have all rare habitats and I like it that way, because when I can't check in as often as I would like (because of work) I love it that those habitats earn big $ so that I can in turn buy treats to feed the hungry dragons. I have about 30 dragons now that are level 20. It's simply the only thing that is keeping me playing the game - working towards crowns. The breeding caves for me have become a real disappointment. I am breeding and breeding and breeding and I get more and more frustrated as I can't breed what I need. As for me, I started playing not long after the game hit the market. I've spent real money in the early days of the game, but I don't need to nor will I now. What is wrong with players having their islands how they want them? We are all individuals. I'm just hanging in there.

Last edited:

Jonew10

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey olds! I think that there may be an element of truth in your message. Some of my islands have all rare habitats and I like it that way, because when I can't check in as often as I would like (because of work) I love it that those habitats earn big $ so that I can in turn buy treats to feed the hungry dragons. I have about 30 dragons now that are level 20. It's simply the only thing that is keeping me playing the game - working towards crowns. The breeding caves for me have become a real disappointment. I am breeding and breeding and breeding and I get more and more frustrated as I can't breed what I need. As for me, I started playing not long after the game hit the market. I've spent real money in the early days of the game, but I don't need to nor will I now. What is wrong with players having their islands how they want them? We are all individuals. I'm just hanging in there.

Well said Diz. I agree with you that we keep playing because we have our own goals now that we have achieved most of the dragons. Now that we have more islands, storage and some space to change the look of our islands, I like just changing everything around and don't need to buy anything more.

I concentrated on collecting dragons and it wasn't until I had been playing for a year that I started collecting eggs. I am wondering if I will complete my collection as I can't directly breed my dragon pairs. Good luck and keep playing.

Suzabella

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Marie. I seriously think they have made a mistake on the 100% rule. I personally like the guarantee every now and again of getting what I want by being intentional - breeding the same dragons - to get the same dragon in return. I have been playing for so long, I found it difficult to read the change of rules. I've been hanging out for the magic to leave the market. I was sadly mistaken. And still no winter dragon. What's with that? My levels 20 air and mountain are breeding everything but a winter dragon. Clearly they have changed the ruling on level 20 dragons too. So, to all who can't get what they want or need, seems like it's going to get a little bit frustrating. Good luck everyone!
This is a very interesting reading. If you put it on the stowe and reduce it, I think you can find this: - we do not earn any money on those old players, who has succeded in getting pairs, and are able to breed for example Rainbow dragons, just to get money from those. They are no good customers. They don't buy any longer, even if they put quite a lot of money in this play many months ago. - we don't give a **** for those oldies, but let them come with suggestions ... We still don't give a ****. - we know they are not people who has played on jailbraked devices, but never mind - they do not buy enough. ;)

I read that message from BFS too. And I heard what Olds heard - they need to make money. We did spend real money! But now we want to play the way we want to play! If we want to lose the surprise element of 100% then that's our business. I have not gotten mistletoe nor winter. I'm sort of losing interest. :-(

GCID: princesssuzabella

Natgnat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay..here is what I have learned since Marie gave us the information. I bred 2 centuries which yelled a century and I did it 2x. One time was a mistake, I just accidentally hit retry and got another century. Now, I started trying to breed a cyclops for my goal and egg collection. After getting a lightning dragon 2x, the third retry got me a cyclops. I am now on my second retry for a leap year for a gold egg for my goals. It still works, it just takes a little longer.

Dizzy.. Sorry about you not getting your winter yet. I managed to get at least one but got frustrated trying for a second and moved on. I hope u get her!

Most reactions