What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downloading Music

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, I meant GoodReader and did restart after installing. The GoodReader instructions even mention the Open-In technique for directing the file to an app but it doesn't work for me....:(

Well, from my previous post, I was able to get an MP3 file from from Mail app into GoodReader which placed the file in 'My Documents' - when I simply press on the file, it plays; when I select 'Manage Files' and then press the circle which appears to the left of the MP3 listing, the menu options light up in the right panel - there is an 'Open In...' choice, and when pressed a drop down box offers me three choices, i.e. AVPlayerHD, Dropbox, & Evernote (your choices will depend on which apps are available on your iPad).

But none of this is going to get your goal(s) accomplished as far as I can see and from the other comments made? If you do find a solution, post back please & good luck! :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
...So now, I suspect there is a bug in the code associated with Open-In processing for mp3 files. How can I get tech support to take a serious look at this problem?...

I, too, have no trouble using the "Open In..." function to open an MP3 file in GoodReader that I e-mailed to myself. So, I'm no help there...

However, I just wanted to point out your highlighted sentence. We are an UNofficial iPad forum - we have nothing to do with Apple. Hence, there ain't no such thing as a "tech support" here. We are just a bunch of iPad enthusiasts who work with each other to get the best possible experience with our iPads.

That said, may I suggest you do take the iPad in to the Apple Geniuses (at an Apple Store) and have them look at it. Cause, that "Open In..." function should work (edit to say: For Goodreader). From reading this thread, none of us can duplicate your problem, so maybe they can help.

Sorry about your troubles.

Marilyn

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Meanwhile, I need a workable method to bring music files from the PC into iMovie (for iPad 2). Is mp3 the right encoding? Does anyone have a workaround for the Open-In problem?

The only way to use music in iMovie is to have it in the iPod app. This is where iMovie imports music from (and no where else). The only way to get music into the iPod app is through iTunes or a third party program (none of which I know enough about to recommend). You can not use Open In... to copy music to the iPod app.

OP
jchunter

jchunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all who replied. You were a big help. The good news is that I finally got the mp3 files into iMovie and onto my movie timeline. :D

I found help at www.apple.com/support/, which was very well organized, fast, and helpful for new Apple product users (90 days). A live person called me immediately after I typed in my serial number. +10 for Apple!

They convinced me that the only way to get mp3 files into iMovie was through iTunes on the PC and that they could prevent it from trying to transfer my entire (home) video/audio library to the iPad. (Remember, my first experience with iTunes tried to transfer 9000 old emails to the iPad :().

Syncing still did not go without a hitch. The PC said sync was complete but the iPad couldn't display the files. Couldn't find them anywhere. I had to sync again to get them to show up in the iPod and iMovie apps. Hmmm. However, after they appeared in iMovie, getting them onto the audio track was smooth and seamless. +10 for iMovie!

Bottom line: Stuff that could have been difficult (iMovie) was easy and stuff that should have been easy (file transfer) was convoluted and difficult. Its a shame because the iPad is so seamless and so perfect in so many other ways!

Most reactions