What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downloading it now

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an original iPad Air and a Pro 9.7.

I'm installing iOS 10 on the Air to try out. If there aren't any problems that might have been missed during the beta testing, I'll do my Pro next.

It's coming down REALLY slow right now. I imagine the servers are groaning away with the massive load :)

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Downloaded to my iPad Air, over the air (as has been done with every update starting way back with iPad 2), with no problems.
Did a reboot. Everything seems to be working OK.
Next is exploration of newbies.

OP
jwt873

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It took me about 35 minutes all together. (I did it over the air as well).

Kind of a letdown... Not that different on the surface from 9.x.x There's a Home Icon now. But you need homekit accessories to use it. The Photos app can display photos you took by location on a map.

SIRI seems a lot faster and smarter. I ran it through a bunch of questions. There is much less "here are some web pages" answers.

Otherwise, I'm going to have to hunt for differences.......

Last edited:

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting, many are having issues with OTA, freezing the device. Message is to install with itunes--most are having install time out. Since I was out when 1 AM EDT came I got message from friend that her ipad pro had frozen--Apple Care walked her thru iTune install which wasn't working for her--said Apple Care woman helped her see what was happening and give it time. Two of her devices are now 10.0.1--I'll wait a few days LOL

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I downloaded pre-release 10.0.1 under the Apple Beta program at the weekend. Will I. be able to download the release version ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I downloaded pre-release 10.0.1 under the Apple Beta program at the weekend. Will I. be able to download the release version ?

The iOS 10 Gold Master release has the same build number (14A403) as the public release earlier today so that is, in effect, identical to the public release version. You won't be able to download the public release version because this Gold Master is the public release version in all but name.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

If you upgrade using iTunes on the computer using recover mode, it should allow you to download and update to the official/public version. You should backup the iPad before upgrading, just incase.

Eventually you'll have to do it anyway, since public betas expire.

Here's Apple's page on iOS betas, including a short section on how to move from the beta to the final, public release.

About iOS beta software - Apple Support

OP
jwt873

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score

The release version I got was 10.0.1.. I wonder if the release versions and beta versions numbered the same?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The release version I got was 10.0.1.. I wonder if the release versions and beta versions numbered the same?
The iOS 10.0.1 Gold Master has the same build number as the public release version, meaning that they're effectively identical.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you upgrade using iTunes on the computer using recover mode, it should allow you to download and update to the official/public version. You should backup the iPad before upgrading, just incase.

Eventually you'll have to do it anyway, since public betas expire.

Here's Apple's page on iOS betas, including a short section on how to move from the beta to the final, public release.

About iOS beta software - Apple Support

Yes ! It worked using the information on the twerppoet link above. With the pre-release version I could not post comments on the app store as pre-release comments are blocked by Apple. All now OK, and I have withdrawn from the Beta program. Thanks TP.

Vacadean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It took me about 35 minutes all together. (I did it over the air as well).

Kind of a letdown... Not that different on the surface from 9.x.x There's a Home Icon now. But you need homekit accessories to use it. The Photos app can display photos you took by location on a map.

SIRI seems a lot faster and smarter. I ran it through a bunch of questions. There is much less "here are some web pages" answers.

Otherwise, I'm going to have to hunt for differences.......

My first post on any forum. This is scary for me, I downloaded 10 last night and everything went well. . . . . . Except iBooks. I have over 600 books on my iPad Pro (all in the cloud except what I'm reading) and to my horror iBooks no longer supports 2 page layout in landscape I spent 40 min with tech support and finally a senior advisor told me that the 2 page option is not available. Not happy at all

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My first post on any forum. This is scary for me, I downloaded 10 last night and everything went well. . . . . . Except iBooks. I have over 600 books on my iPad Pro (all in the cloud except what I'm reading) and to my horror iBooks no longer supports 2 page layout in landscape I spent 40 min with tech support and finally a senior advisor told me that the 2 page option is not available. Not happy at all
I checked iBooks on my iPad Pro as soon as I read your post and I see 2 page layout in iOS 10.
IMG_0655.PNG

That senior advisor didn't know what he was talking about.

Vacadean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks scifan57, you are correct but I am in my 70's and use a little bigger font and I just found out that the problem is the font size. If you use a very small font you get your 2 page setup back. Using one that I can read it doesn't work. I've tried it with 6 books are it proved out
Thanks again

Most reactions

Latest posts