What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downloaded files.......

mrjaffa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys.....

I use an app called Filebrowser to browse my PC and Media player from the iPad and yesterday I tried streaming a video file. The file has been downloaded to the iPad but it wouldn't actually play through the Filebrowser app and I actually want to delete it but there is no option to do so via the app.

Where would the files have downloaded to? I have the iFile app but couldn't find the video anywhere although I didn't know where to look.

The file must be there somewhere as it has used up memory so I need to delete.

Any ideas?

PadMan2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You may be better off deleting Filebrowser, Anything associated with the app will be deleted, Then just reinstall the app to get you back to square one.

OP
M

mrjaffa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good idea. Will try that and see if the free space increases. Cheers.

OP
M

mrjaffa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That worked. Thanks.

Frustrating that there doesn't seem to be an option within the app to delete the file......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try clicking the edit button in the top right, then you can check the file (the circle to the left of the file name) and hit delete button at the bottom.

OP
M

mrjaffa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah i thought of that but I think that will just delete it from the hard drive on the PC which I don't want to do. Just off the iPad :-/

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mrjaffa said:
Yeah i thought of that but I think that will just delete it from the hard drive on the PC which I don't want to do. Just off the iPad :-/

If the file is showing in the PC side folder/share then it does not "mirror" a copy to the iPad. Probably the reason you cannot find it is because it is not there. The app is only "showing" you what is on the drive, it is not moving copies to your iPad unless you actually move them to a local folder.

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
If the file is showing in the PC side folder/share then it does not "mirror" a copy to the iPad. Probably the reason you cannot find it is because it is not there. The app is only "showing" you what is on the drive, it is not moving copies to your iPad unless you actually move them to a local folder.

+1
the files only get stored locally on your iPad if you select the File on the pc, then choose copy, then browse to " My Files" then paste, " My Files " is the iPad folder within File-browser

OP
M

mrjaffa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah right. When I was selecting the file and hitting 'open in', in then started what seemed to be a transfer as it would take a few minutes. So if I was able to watch it via the iPad, it was just streaming it? But I was certain my available storage did drop, and then of course when I deleted the app, I had an extra couple of gig.

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mrjaffa said:
Ah right. When I was selecting the file and hitting 'open in', in then started what seemed to be a transfer as it would take a few minutes. So if I was able to watch it via the iPad, it was just streaming it? But I was certain my available storage did drop, and then of course when I deleted the app, I had an extra couple of gig.

It will cache some data while streaming , never really bothered to look myself, to check usage per app go to settings , general, then usage , top one is the app storage.

Most reactions