What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Download sites

S

Shimano

I have been looking into joining a download site in order to get ebooks but I have been told that there are some fake sites out there and others that will apply hidden charges to the one time membership fee

Does anyone know of a reputable download site ( I have been looking at the ones that charge an annual fee for unlimited downloads ) or are these promises of totally unlimited downloads a bit exaggerated

Any help appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I understand you correctly, you're considering "joining" a site that promises to provide you with downloads of copyrighted material without paying for it. In a way, this is analogous to "joining" Pandora or another music site that enables you to stream music to your device without paying for individual songs. There is, however, a huge difference. In the latter case, your "membership fee" is then repaid to the owner of a song for its use. If I understand you correctly, you're talking about a site that will re-sell you stolen material without compensating those who created the content in the first place. If this is the case, whether the "promises of totally unlimited downloads a bit exaggerated" or not, you're a thief. Moreover, I strongly suspect that the lifespan of such sites is likely to be very limited.

Furthermore, there are hundreds of thousands of books published before 1923 that are in the public domain. These books can be downloaded free of charge from legitimate sites, e.g. Amazon, B&N, Kobo, iTunes, etc. If these books constitute the "totally unlimited" downloads, there is no need to pay a "membership fee" to access them.

OP
S

Shimano

I think that before you start making accusations and calling people thieves you should do a little homework ,this way you would be able to make an informed and factual comment rather than calling people thieves

There are many download sites that offer LEGAL downloads ,one of which has been recommended to me by an Apple guru ,also you only need to use good old google to find many of them being reviewed by computer mags etc, do you think that a mainstream glossy would offer reviews and recommendations of illegal download sites, no I don't either

When I asked if any member had any sites that they use I was not suggesting scam or illegal websites ,again do you think I would use a reputable forum to do this ( I am Admin for a forum with in excess of 25000 members and am only to aware of the repercussions )

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
If I understand you correctly, you're considering "joining" a site that promises to provide you with downloads of copyrighted material without paying for it. In a way, this is analogous to "joining" Pandora or another music site that enables you to stream music to your device without paying for individual songs. There is, however, a huge difference. In the latter case, your "membership fee" is then repaid to the owner of a song for its use. If I understand you correctly, you're talking about a site that will re-sell you stolen material without compensating those who created the content in the first place. If this is the case, whether the "promises of totally unlimited downloads a bit exaggerated" or not, you're a thief. Moreover, I strongly suspect that the lifespan of such sites is likely to be very limited.

Furthermore, there are hundreds of thousands of books published before 1923 that are in the public domain. These books can be downloaded free of charge from legitimate sites, e.g. Amazon, B&N, Kobo, iTunes, etc. If these books constitute the "totally unlimited" downloads, there is no need to pay a "membership fee" to access them.

Sorry, but your condescending tone led me to report this post. =/ This was, IMO, a great way to turn away members. As admin of my own forums over the years, I believe I speak for this forum when I say we want members to stay and feel welcome. Not everybody is a wannabe pirate.

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My local library has downloads available for audio books that you can check out for seven days. No fees. Some of the files are Apple device ready, or mp3 ready. Many can be burned to CD. Another county's library system has ebooks available for check out. When the lending period is up the downloaded book goes away. No late fees.

<BR /><FONT size=-1>Sent from my <FONT COLOR= 'RED'>iPad</FONT> using iPF - Peace</FONT>

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that before you start making accusations and calling people thieves you should do a little homework ,this way you would be able to make an informed and factual comment rather than calling people thieves

There are many download sites that offer LEGAL downloads ,one of which has been recommended to me by an Apple guru ,also you only need to use good old google to find many of them being reviewed by computer mags etc, do you think that a mainstream glossy would offer reviews and recommendations of illegal download sites, no I don't either

When I asked if any member had any sites that they use I was not suggesting scam or illegal websites ,again do you think I would use a reputable forum to do this ( I am Admin for a forum with in excess of 25000 members and am only to aware of the repercussions )

Shimano,

My apologies. I thought that the qualifications in my post (e.g. "If I understand you correctly..."; "if that's the case..." ) made it clear I was referring to 'torrent-like' download sites. And it was in that context that I used the word "thief." Since that was not your intention, my comment should have been worded more carefully.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, but your condescending tone led me to report this post. =/ This was, IMO, a great way to turn away members. As admin of my own forums over the years, I believe I speak for this forum when I say we want members to stay and feel welcome. Not everybody is a wannabe pirate.

We got it.

Shimano,

My apologies. I thought that the qualifications in my post (e.g. "If I understand you correctly..."; "if that's the case..." ) made it clear I was referring to 'torrent-like' download sites. And it was in that context that I used the word "thief." Since that was not your intention, my comment should have been worded more carefully.

Apologies have been offered ~ Let's us remember to tread carefully when dealing with what you perceive to be a pirate. It is best to just hit that report button.

Let us move on now, folks!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What type of ebooks are you looking to download? The only ones that major publishers currently participate in are via libraries and Amazon Prime, which requires membership and a Kindle device.

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is also the Baen free library which offers free Science Fiction, and Fantasy ebooks.
There are possibly other publishers that do the same.

Sent from my iPad using iPF - Peace

Most reactions

Latest posts