What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does the mail app download everything in the first instance?

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When the mail app does an update, does it download all the attached and embedded documents including the images in one go?

Sometimes I find the attached doucments only get downloaded when it is clicked on.

When I try to read some attached documents without Internet connection, it doesn't work.

How can I make sure that complete email messages get downloaded in the first place?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When the mail app does an update, does it download all the attached and embedded documents including the images in one go?

Sometimes I find the attached doucments only get downloaded when it is clicked on.

When I try to read some attached documents without Internet connection, it doesn't work.

How can I make sure that complete email messages get downloaded in the first place?

Is your Mail set up to download attachments automatically? To check (or change), go to the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" tab in your Settings app. Then, scroll down to the Mail block and look for the line "Load Remote Images" - make sure it is ON.

If it was already on, it may be that the file was too big and you'll still have to press on it. But, hopefully, this'll take care of most of them.

Marilyn

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is your Mail set up to download attachments automatically? To check (or change), go to the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" tab in your Settings app. Then, scroll down to the Mail block and look for the line "Load Remote Images" - make sure it is ON.

If it was already on, it may be that the file was too big and you'll still have to press on it. But, hopefully, this'll take care of most of them.

Marilyn

Load Remote Images is showing ON. There is no setting referring to attachment.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it just happens at a certain size - you have to download the attachments separately. I don't think there is anything we can do as its a "limitation" of a mobile device. I can only assume its to ensure the user is not using too much data when connecting to WiFi. If you have to choose to download a file that's over size, you are making a conscious decision to use that much data.

Sorry, but I believe you've done all you can do.

Marilyn

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think it just happens at a certain size - you have to download the attachments separately. I don't think there is anything we can do as its a "limitation" of a mobile device. I can only assume its to ensure the user is not using too much data when connecting to WiFi. If you have to choose to download a file that's over size, you are making a conscious decision to use that much data.

Sorry, but I believe you've done all you can do.

Marilyn

Thanks a lot for taking the trouble to help me.

Most reactions

Latest posts