What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

does any one still have a ipad 1?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an iPad one and have been happy but it is crashing more frequently. I have gone through the steps of clearing cookies and history and turning off and on, with no help. I know this is considered old technology, so which one should I upgrade to?

Well it's a personal choice and depends on your finances also......I always go for the latest iPad and have now upgraded from the iPad 2 to the Air.
I also have the first mini and consider this a great device.....there's also the new mini with retina screen which from what I've heard is even better. If you have good eyes then the mini would be a great choice also.

If you buy the latest technology, it will serve you longer, but the choice is yours.

Bobandsylvia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
Www.bobandsylvia.org
We sill use the original IPAD. We purchased it to display music lyrics when we play gospel concerts. We use goodreader to display pdf files.
We also use it for gps, email, web browsing, contacts, calendar, facebook, and playing music. We have the at&t plan of unlimited data for $30 per month.

jweakley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still use my iPad 1, and it works perfectly. I use it for Internet research and email. I also use iThoughtsHD for analyzing homicide cases, Pages for word processing, and Numbers for spreadsheets. When my Windows XP computer goes out of service I may not bother to replace it because my iPad 1 does it all.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

barbieb12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well it's a personal choice and depends on your finances also......I always go for the latest iPad and have now upgraded from the iPad 2 to the Air.
I also have the first mini and consider this a great device.....there's also the new mini with retina screen which from what I've heard is even better. If you have good eyes then the mini would be a great choice also.

If you buy the latest technology, it will serve you longer, but the choice is yours.

Thanks for the response, so you are happy with the Air? I was thinking of going to the iPad 2 only because the Air is so new and all the kinks so to speak are not worked out...the iPad 1 I have has been a champ and it was purchased as a refurbished one back about 4 yrs ago.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, so you are happy with the Air? I was thinking of going to the iPad 2 only because the Air is so new and all the kinks so to speak are not worked out...the iPad 1 I have has been a champ and it was purchased as a refurbished one back about 4 yrs ago.

I'm loving the Air right now.....it's a big jump from the iPad 2 (the iPad 2 was also a big step up from the iPad 1). The air is just so much lighter and quicker and the screen is wonderful, so much easier for my eyes with the retina screen. I do agree there have been kinks but they're more to do with OS issues rather than hardware related and will/are rectified with updates. We go through a teething period so to speak whenever a new update is released, identifying glitches in the OS and also with apps that must be updated also.

There are rumours surfacing now that Apple are ceasing production of the iPad 2. It is hampered by only having 512mb of ram as opposed to the newer iPads having 1gb of ram. It is beginning it's decline as did the iPad 1 but will still be a great device for quite some time to come.

If it were me I would be upgrading to at least an iPad which has 1gb of ram, finances permitting. As technology advances Apps will be getting bigger (graphics) and will take up more ram to run smoothly.

Good luck with whatever you do decide!

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've been debating the same thing. When and what to upgrade my iPad1, which has been faithfully working since day 1 with daily use. Perhaps it comes down to three choices:
. iPad3. Occasionally, one can be bought for around $250 thru local Craigslist or paper aids. Not my preferred choice, but this may appeal to some.
. iPad4. They have been available thru some discount outlets recently. The 128GB version was around $600. I'd think that this is a good choice, with performance, reliability and comparable cost saving.
. iPad Air. This belongs to the well-to-do club, versus the iPad1 owners who belong to the poor-men club :eek: (just kidding). The hardware is great. The OS not yet pleases everyone. By the time the OS stabilizes, would this model would be replaced by newer generations by then. So, the latest may not be the greatest :confused:

Although I love my iPad, as it never freeze, forces close, slows down, bloats, gets virus or anything else that I experienced with android tablets and Windows PC's. But I am disappointed for the failure to connect and stream from our HP Media Smart Server. I don't want to have to install additional apps, or leave a PC on. Other devices can do it nicely, but not the iPad. iTunes does show up the server, but clicking on it only shows endless trying. Can the newer iPads do it or not, I'm not sure. Any pointer would be much appreciated. Or else, the excitement of having a new toy would follow with another disappointment.
Another thing, if it is alright, I or someone else, could start a post where links to good deal on newer iPad could be found.

Best to all,

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been debating the same thing. When and what to upgrade my iPad1, which has been faithfully working since day 1 with daily use. Perhaps it comes down to three choices: . iPad3. Occasionally, one can be bought for around $250 thru local Craigslist or paper aids. Not my preferred choice, but this may appeal to some. . iPad4. They have been available thru some discount outlets recently. The 128GB version was around $600. I'd think that this is a good choice, with performance, reliability and comparable cost saving. . iPad Air. This belongs to the well-to-do club, versus the iPad1 owners who belong to the poor-men club :eek: (just kidding). The hardware is great. The OS not yet pleases everyone. By the time the OS stabilizes, would this model would be replaced by newer generations by then. So, the latest may not be the greatest :confused: Although I love my iPad, as it never freeze, forces close, slows down, bloats, gets virus or anything else that I experienced with android tablets and Windows PC's. But I am disappointed for the failure to connect and stream from our HP Media Smart Server. I don't want to have to install additional apps, or leave a PC on. Other devices can do it nicely, but not the iPad. iTunes does show up the server, but clicking on it only shows endless trying. Can the newer iPads do it or not, I'm not sure. Any pointer would be much appreciated. Or else, the excitement of having a new toy would follow with another disappointment. Another thing, if it is alright, I or someone else, could start a post where links to good deal on newer iPad could be found. Best to all,

We certainly do have a good choice of iPads to upgrade to right now!

To any buying an iPad second hand, if it has been upgraded to OS 7, please make sure the Find My IPad feature has been disabled......the Apple ID of the past owner is needed to do this. Settings - ICloud - Find My iPad. It's best for the iPad to have been restored to 'as new' factory conditions.

I can't help you with your HP Media Server issue, hopefully others can answer this for you. It would be best to open a new thread for this issue though, so as not to interrupt this thread!

A very good idea for a thread on good deals for an iPad and I have taken the liberty of opening one here:-
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/119124-ipads-sale-post-best-deals-coupons.html

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Take a look at the performance differences between the iPad 2 and the iPad Air

This may help you make your decision.

Last edited by a moderator:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Take a look at the performance differences between the iPad 2 and the iPad Air YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq2cYqlHKxc&feature=youtube_gdata_player This may help you make your decision.

Great link! I knew the Air was a lot faster and that vid really demonstrates this well!

Here's a another good link comparing iPad 2 with the Air and also both minis
http://www.apple.com/au/ipad/compare/

But we really need to get this thread back on track.......who still has an iPad 1?

mpin67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do got it at launch can't believe i can't install flappy birds on this!!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I do got it at launch can't believe i can't install flappy birds on this!!

You're one of the lucky ones to have this app now. If you can't install through itunes then I would say the game is for a later OS.

Sorry there is nothing that can be done for this issue short of buying a newer iPad.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're one of the lucky ones to have this app now. If you can't install through itunes then I would say the game is for a later OS. Sorry there is nothing that can be done for this issue short of buying a newer iPad.
Flappy Birds needs at least iOS 6. That's one of the drawbacks of owning a legacy device like the iPad 1. While it still works quite well if you use it within it's limitations, there are a growing number of newer apps and games that will not work because their minimum iOS requirement is greater than iOS 5.1.1.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Flappy Birds needs at least iOS 6. That's one of the drawbacks of owning a legacy device like the iPad 1. While it still works quite well if you use it within it's limitations, there are a growing number of newer apps and games that will not work because their minimum iOS requirement is greater than iOS 5.1.1.

Oh....just knew it must have been for a later OS......thanks for the verification Sci!

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still have that model. I recently purchased a iPad 4 128GB. Currently selling iPad 1.

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

mlawless4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just sold an iPad 1 that still worked like new. Now I am using and iPad 2 32GB and 16 GB, both working also like new.

Most reactions

Latest posts