What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

does any one still have a ipad 1?

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Still using mine. Doesn't hold a charge, battery drains quickly especially when reading books (which I do a lot). Basically I have to charge every night. Thinking about a trip to the Apple store to see what my options are for an inexpensive fix to hold me over for a while.

I find if all I am doing is reading a downloaded book the battery lasts me several days. But I do make sure I turn "airplane mode" on and turn off notifications as well as shut down any other opened applications to save power.

Sent from my early Christmas prezzie (Mini)

Rachel01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my ipad1 everyday but have been playing Big Business which keeps crashing on it. I can't afford to get a newer one so will just have to give up playing BB! I bought mine when they first came out in UK and I still love it.

SeanR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my ipad1 everyday but have been playing Big Business which keeps crashing on it. I can't afford to get a newer one so will just have to give up playing BB! I bought mine when they first came out in UK and I still love it.

I had the same thing happen with The Tribez a few months ago. :(

Sent from my iPad using iPF

chingching

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love my iPad 1 64GB :) original AT&T
I use my iPad 1 at 5 year oooooo...
Pls support ios6 at iPad 1 and flash player run in ios device without jailbreak , I love original :) dislike jailbreak,
Put flash ,,,,,,

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love my iPad 1 64GB :) original AT&T
I use my iPad 1 at 5 year oooooo...
Pls support ios6 at iPad 1 and flash player run in ios device without jailbreak , I love original :) dislike jailbreak,
Put flash ,,,,,,

I'm afraid that the iPad 1 will not be receiving any more updates with the last being 5.1.1

Flash also will never be available for an iPad and Adobe has now also stopped any development for this. Have a look here for more info on Flash.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-faq/54703-flash-ipad.html

chingching

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm afraid that the iPad 1 will not be receiving any more updates with the last being 5.1.1

Flash also will never be available for an iPad and Adobe has now also stopped any development for this. Have a look here for more info on Flash.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-faq/54703-flash-ipad.html
Theres sad , if android no flash , I move to windows phone :D
Android won because their adobe flash player..
Because everyone have Facebook
One tablet I love is acer new tablet.
Acer will fight with apple
Huh

FosterEdens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just joined the IPad I Forum and appreciate reading many of the posts. Hope I can be helpful to other IPad I users as I learn to use the re-furbished IPad I just bought.

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My son uses my old iPad 1 to play games. For the most part, he doesn't have any problems but (in my opinion) it's only a matter of time before most of the "in" games start requiring iOS 6 or higher.

Rovingnome

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 64g wifi only, that my wife gave me for christmas a couple of years ago. I find it still very useful, i watch tv shows and movies via hulu and netflix, works very well. Just keep in mind that the ipad 1 is limited now, in what it can do. I for one can live with the limitations for now, and will use it until it stops working...

Anna Z

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hate appear ignorant, but what are you referring to when you say "jailbreak"??

I have the original iPad............It seems like lately when I am playing Candy Crush it doesn't "crash", per se, but will go back to the "home" screen. I suppose technically it IS crashing. Any suggestions?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hate appear ignorant, but what are you referring to when you say "jailbreak"?? I have the original iPad............It seems like lately when I am playing Candy Crush it doesn't "crash", per se, but will go back to the "home" screen. I suppose technically it IS crashing. Any suggestions?
The iPad 1 only has 256MB of RAM, 1/4 of what the current iPads have, making it harder to run graphic intensive games without crashing.

This thread explains about jailbreaking. http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2838-jailbreaking-explained.html

Drew wal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Our three daughters have an ipad 1 each, two of them have a 16gb black model and the other has a 64gb black 1st generation.
They all use netflix, games, music, reading material on them and using them with Apple TV and they manage very well.
Myself I have a 3 rd gen 64gb and every now and then our eldest will use it and realize that there are some apps she enjoys playing that are not available to the first gen model, but on the whole they're happy to have them and still be able to use their own devices within the limitations and restrictions we heavily impose upon them . All three iPads for the kids are maxed out on restrictions with password enabled security , no app downloads, deletion, no web browsing , no material over 12yrs .

Our kids love the iPads , they feel a part of technology which they use in school as well as at home . They're too young to have iPhones so the ipad fills the void perfectly.
I personally would even buy a 64gb 1st gen and use it for music or media player on the wall wireless to a dock , they're still cracking devices and not to be knocked, considering their age, and how quickly technology has progressed through the models I have to admit they're still doing alright and holding their own , you get what you pay for really. Besides its possible to buy a 1st gen 64gb + cellular for less than £150 , a bargain at that and probably less than most iPods of the same memory.

We've never been disappointed with our iPads, each and everyone of them are used frequently and differently by our whole family .

Sent from my iPad 3 64gb using iPF

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hate appear ignorant, but what are you referring to when you say "jailbreak"?? I have the original iPad............It seems like lately when I am playing Candy Crush it doesn't "crash", per se, but will go back to the "home" screen. I suppose technically it IS crashing. Any suggestions?

Your iPad is crashing because of a lack of ram. As Scifan has said the iPad 1 has only 256mb of ram compared to the ipad2 which has 512mb and the newer iPads which have 1 GB of ram. As apps are only getting bigger with advancing technology the iPad 1 will continue to struggle more and more to keep up. Any sites you may visit through Safari which are graphic intensive will cause crashes also.

There are some steps you can take which will limit this happening as much and these steps will also free up ram.

Limit your location services to the apps you are using now.

Close apps regularly (all apps in your multi task bar are using some ram, even though they are not running and closing them completely will free up this ram) - From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. Long press an app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, now press the home button to return to your home screen

Go to Settings - Safari and Clear your History and also Clear your Cookies and Data. Safari retains bits of info from every site you visit.....if you would like to have a look first before clearing your History etc. go to Settings - Safari - Advanced - Website Data - Show All Sites.

After doing this, it would be a good idea to do a reset of your iPad just to allow everything to settle in nicely. Apple have now ceased updates for the iPad 1 as it is really quite old now in technology terms and although it will still continue to be a great device for certain tasks, it may be time to upgrade to a newer iPad!

Reset - Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you may see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.

I do hope these steps help you.

barbieb12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad one and have been happy but it is crashing more frequently. I have gone through the steps of clearing cookies and history and turning off and on, with no help. I know this is considered old technology, so which one should I upgrade to?

Most reactions

Latest posts