What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you wish you had purchased the 64gb?(32gb owners)

Jenny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As everyone has said, it really depends what you will be using your ipad for. No one knows but you what size you'll need.

I had planned to get the 64gb but got the 16gb instead as I found a 16 at best buy, and i decided to buy it rather than waiting 2-3 weeks for apple. I made a deal with a friend who will be buying this from me this fall for $400 so i can upgrade to the 64gb at that time. However, over these laat few weeks I have found out that for my needs,16gb is plenty.

As long as I am selective with what goes on my ipad, 16 gb is perfect. I am a full time student, so i mostly use my ipad at school. All I need is some music, a few ebooks, and some apps. Right now I have 10gb free, and I have no doubt I won't be filling it anytime soon.

If you plan to put lots of music and videos on your ipad, get the 64.

If you plan to just use apps with streaming video with a minimal music collection, get the 16.

Or, just get something in between.

Personally, I am perfectly happy with 16gb.

OP
G

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As everyone has said, it really depends what you will be using your ipad for. No one knows but you what size you'll need.

I had planned to get the 64gb but got the 16gb instead as I found a 16 at best buy, and i decided to buy it rather than waiting 2-3 weeks for apple. I made a deal with a friend who will be buying this from me this fall for $400 so i can upgrade to the 64gb at that time. However, over these laat few weeks I have found out that for my needs,16gb is plenty.

As long as I am selective with what goes on my ipad, 16 gb is perfect. I am a full time student, so i mostly use my ipad at school. All I need is some music, a few ebooks, and some apps. Right now I have 10gb free, and I have no doubt I won't be filling it anytime soon.

If you plan to put lots of music and videos on your ipad, get the 64.

If you plan to just use apps with streaming video with a minimal music collection, get the 16.

Or, just get something in between.

Personally, I am perfectly happy with 16gb.

I mentioned above that I would be using it as a mobile internet device first, game/app player second, movies third, music last.

At most, I may put 500 songs on it. There are some albums that will always be on there no matter what for repeated listening. At most maybe 10 movies, though I'll keep many more on the itunes, and swap out as needed. That's really not a big deal, just takes a few minutes to look through my collection, and pick out whatever I feel like watching.

Judging by the responses here, I think the 32gb will be a happy medium. The $100 saved on the 64, I'll load up on some apps. Thanks everyone for responding!!

Lgchris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the 32 gig 3G because the 16 & 64 gig ones were sold out, I have no regrets. I'm over 16 gigs, prob around 19 now. I have a lot of apps they only take up 2 gigs, the rest is music and movies that I can put back on my laptop anytime if need be to free up space, I really don't need 50,000 songs on my iPad.

psmoore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had intentions of buying the 16gb, decided on the 32gb and ended up with the 64 because that's all the Best Buy had when I got there. Will I ever use it? I doubt it, but I can remember saying that I would NEVER EVER fill up a 500mb hard drive too! Memory usage is only gonna get higher and higher. Get the most you can afford!

IPad-Fan-64

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depends how much you want to spend but I went with the 64GB 3G. I am glad I chose the 64GB then the 32GB.

I would go with 64GB

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I still have 11-12 GB free on the 32GB. The 64GB would have been a waste of money. I dont really watch a lot of TV and videos - just music and pictures.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had intentions of buying the 16gb, decided on the 32gb and ended up with the 64 because that's all the Best Buy had when I got there. Will I ever use it? I doubt it, but I can remember saying that I would NEVER EVER fill up a 500mb hard drive too! Memory usage is only gonna get higher and higher. Get the most you can afford!

I agree, people you have only been using the iPad for less than 4 months and many of you are 3/4 full already. For 200 bucks you can go to 4 times the memory.

Developers have had a few months to develop apps if you have 40 apps now will you have 80 in a year and of course some of these apps will be getting larger and larger. There are many apps you use only once a week but they are handy and there when you need them.

Books, Magazines, movies, stuff we have not even thouight about yet.

Get the most memory you can afford.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
75-80% of my used storage is music. I dont think my music library has grown more than 20% in the last 5-6 years. Most apps are tiny. I think all my apps are less that 2GB and I have a lot of junk I need to delete. Books might grow in the future, but the Kindle app allows you to archive and just keep current stuff on the iPad. I really don't expect to fill up my 32GB before I replace it with something else.

ProPhotoGA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a professional photographer so I got the 64gb. I have found that I have
about 30gb of images at times on my iPad along with 4 or 5 videos, music and
the aviation apps and wow... I still have almost 16gbs free.. glad that BB only
had 64gb models..

Gene

Bogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I agree, people you have only been using the iPad for less than 4 months and many of you are 3/4 full already. For 200 bucks you can go to 4 times the memory.

Developers have had a few months to develop apps if you have 40 apps now will you have 80 in a year and of course some of these apps will be getting larger and larger. There are many apps you use only once a week but they are handy and there when you need them.

Books, Magazines, movies, stuff we have not even thouight about yet.

Get the most memory you can afford.
I also agree. I was going to get the 32, but the Apple Store only had the 64, and I really wanted it that day to take on a trip. Very glad I did. I have a couple of movies, a bunch of tv shows, lots of books, one magazine sub so far (and I will be downloading more back issues from my zinio library as they are available), I will also be subscribing to National Geographic interactive when my print sub runs out, lots of work related documents, and apps to read and edit those documents, plus lots of games. After six weeks I gave about half my memory filled and can see the day coming when I will have to do some pruning. Very glad I got the 64. You should always get the most memory you can afford.

OP
G

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doesn't the ability to sync in and out your media as you see fit, somewhat nullify the 'get the most memory you can afford' argument? I suppose it depends on whether or not one wants to 'inconvenience' themselves by swapping out apps, movies, etc in the name of space conservation? I don't see myself buying huge numbers of apps( of course, I say that now lol).

iDharma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...as a movie watcher with a 16GB I can attest that I am very happy with my decision.

I also have a 16GB and it suits my needs just fine. I have 880 songs (many of them 6+ min progressive rock/metal "Stairway to Freebird" pieces) and one fulll-length (3 hour) concert film on mine and I've still got 2 GB free.

I think 64GB is way, way more than most (~95% of) people will ever need.

iDharma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doesn't the ability to sync in and out your media as you see fit, somewhat nullify the 'get the most memory you can afford' argument? I suppose it depends on whether or not one wants to 'inconvenience' themselves by swapping out apps, movies, etc in the name of space conservation?

Yes...I suppose if you burn through movies/TV shows quickly but sync up rarely, then you might find value in 64GB.

Most reactions