What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you password lock your Ipad

Lavenderlady*w*iPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No don't use a password. I am the only one in the house, work from home, and 90% of the time I go out, I don't take my iPad. Don't really see the need.

Sent from my 16G wifi iPad using iPF

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. The 4 digit passlock is sufficient for me. I don't keep anything so secretive that I need to password protect it.

Squirrel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I lock mine. I have a family member/roommate who like to touch my stuff without asking;).

snakattak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, our iPad gets the secure treatment!
Just curious about the next Gen II iPad going into production as I write..."including a forward facing camera" so the inevitable "face recognition" app should surface? With the current model it did occur to me that the it could use the microphone for voice recognition to validate user(/s)? Given that it would have to occur after the home button is pressed it's probably something Apple would have to instigate....

Splix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there anyway to Disable the password when I am at home? Like when I'm connected to my Wireless internet it disables the passwordcheck and maybe chenges other settings as well (like timeout for the screen)?

//splix

TheX

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes stops face book rape lol pluss if it was stolen useless to any one I hope

Speaking of facebook rape.... this isn't facebook, but still funny:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For another view, a friend of mind left her's on a table at a conference. She got it back as it wasn't locked and Safari was still on her Facebook, and the person posted Facebook message on her account that they'd found it and was leaving it at the conference hotel front desk asking one of her friends to call her and let her know. :D

BigBlue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My grand plan for the iPad2 (on order from the online store) is to replace our Windows netbook on our travels (now down to about a total of six weeks or so per year) throughout the world and to do our banking from wherever we are. In order to do that we will have to set some favorites (bookmarks) and some cookies on the iPad2 which some of the banking websites require in advance in order to recognize the device. Therefore, it seems that locking ours would be a good idea.

For sensitive information, I subscribe on my desktop to eWallet which will sync with the iPad2 without issue so credit card numbers and those sorts of things are safe.

If I understand correctly mobile.me costs $99 per year and I can't justify that kind of fixed cost for what I regard to be very low return. I'm very much like one of the sad souls who replied to my introduction thread saying that he hasn't been mugged, doesn't lose things, etc., in other words, a belt and suspenders guy who is keenly aware of his surroundings.

Any insight into any comments on mobile.me and on my other points would be appreciated.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a super long password that's over 25 digits/letters long, and a 2 minute auto lock.

iChuckNorris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm an IT security guy, so I definitely lock mine just out of principle. ;)

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
My grand plan for the iPad2 (on order from the online store) is to replace our Windows netbook on our travels (now down to about a total of six weeks or so per year) throughout the world and to do our banking from wherever we are. In order to do that we will have to set some favorites (bookmarks) and some cookies on the iPad2 which some of the banking websites require in advance in order to recognize the device. Therefore, it seems that locking ours would be a good idea.

For sensitive information, I subscribe on my desktop to eWallet which will sync with the iPad2 without issue so credit card numbers and those sorts of things are safe.

If I understand correctly mobile.me costs $99 per year and I can't justify that kind of fixed cost for what I regard to be very low return. I'm very much like one of the sad souls who replied to my introduction thread saying that he hasn't been mugged, doesn't lose things, etc., in other words, a belt and suspenders guy who is keenly aware of his surroundings.

Any insight into any comments on mobile.me and on my other points would be appreciated.

The Find My iPhone app is a free app and service that allows you to locate your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch on a map, display a message for two minutes and play a sound at the highest volume even if the device is set to silent, remote set a passcode, or remotely wipe your device permantly. Did I mention it's free? This sort of situation (never been mugged or lost anything) reminds me of watching an NFL football game where the color commentator says, "This kicker hasn't missed a field goal in over 500 games!" Guess what's going to happen?

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to let everyone who locks it so if it's stolen it's useless, all it takes is a restore and setup as new iPad to make it basically factory stock. So password is basically pointless. PIN would suffice for most, to keep kids out of it, but for someone stealing it, you could have a 286345273864873 character password and it will be usable in the same time as a PIN

Most reactions