What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do iPad 3G work with other carrier than ATT

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi all folk’s can one of you told me if the 3G iPad work with Verizon or Spring, or if it’s lock to ATT ….

during the time i am waiting my (2 days more) i can prepare a micro sim if i can be sure it work

Thanks in advance

CPMS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Verizon and Sprint don't use sim cards, different technology so I doubt you'd be able to force it to work without some major surgery. I think its the same reason why you could hack an iPhone to work on T-Mobile but not V or S. If you do get it to work reliably and cheaply you may be able to make a chunk of change though. Good luck...

dmittleman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about Europe?

Yes, T-Mobile but not Verizon or Sprint. You should be able to Google info on how it was done on T-Mobile.

My question is similar: Can I put a European SIM card in mine to get 3G when I go to Europe in June? Asked another way, will GSM work?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Europe should do fine, but I have not heard anything about any testing done. That T-Mobile works was indication to the pros about the Euro-usage.

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Come on folks, we are not talking CDMA any more. It is GPRS, EDGE, UMTS and HSDPA. All international standards working on 900/950/1800/1900/2100 MHz. That's why it's called tri-band.

The iPad-3G should work with any GSM mobile operator.

rowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rowan.us
Still the question remains (I'm also going to Europe this summer): Do you need a different SIM card or do you somehow just go into settings and subscribe using the Cellular Data tab? (That can't be right.)

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You would need a sim card for the carrier you want to use. They should be plenty of carriers that will support the iPad.

CPMS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I've read that you can use the ATT card overseas but you'll be hit with some stiff roaming fees. Overseas sim cards are supposed to work but unless you already have an account in say England, I can't see how it'll be feasible to open a new account while there on vacation (different story if you're fortunate enough to go to Europe regularly for business though).

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still the question remains (I'm also going to Europe this summer): Do you need a different SIM card or do you somehow just go into settings and subscribe using the Cellular Data tab? (That can't be right.)

If you travel abroad, then check out, what pre-paid data services are available in that country and get yourself a SIM at the airport, once you land. Or ask a colleague to get one card before you arrive.

Otherwise roaming fees will kill you. Data roaming is still outrageous.
It's way cheaper to get two or three SIMs on a months flatrate.....do a little bit of google research.

Here is some advice:

UK - TESCO
Germany - Simyo or Aldi-Talk
CH - Sunrise or Lebara

You usually don't pay more than €2,50 per day flatrate, or €9,90/1GB flat or €19,90 flat/month.

george

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 3G works great in Europe - Spain at least

Hi everyone. I got my wife ;) a new iPad 3G for her birthday. It was pre-ordered in California and it arrived last week. Its her birthday today so we opened it and fell in love all over again - although this time not with each other.

I had ordered an extra SIM card for MOVISTAR (Spanish Telecom operator) and I cut it down to size and put it in the SIM slot. At first I got only the 3G symbol but no internet but then I went into Settings and Cellular Data and then entered the following:

APN: movistar.es
username: movistar
password: movistar

It then worked like a dream - super fast internet at home on 5Ghz wifi and outside using 3G.

Word of warning. I had to go to the local shop again this morning for another card because I was hasty and cut some of the metal part of the SIM card. DO NOT DO THIS! You will regret it. Fortunately a new SIM is only 6 euros.

Also, I found the APN info by googling. So should work for other countries as well.

Hope this helps
/George

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi all folk’s can one of you told me if the 3G iPad work with Verizon or Spring, or if it’s lock to ATT ….

during the time i am waiting my (2 days more) i can prepare a micro sim if i can be sure it work

Thanks in advance

Tell me,,, why you want to do that??

Most reactions