What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I really require the Ipad 2 or is Ipad good enough?

Gpodes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, 1st time posting - I picked up the iphone when it finally came to verizon so to keep my life simple I want an Ipad as my tablet.

I just picked up a 16gb wifi Ipad for my wife and daughter to share and it is my 1st time I am really using it other than in a store. I love it, I think it is awesom and I want one.

I was planning on getting the 64gb wifi, 3g verizon Ipad 2 but didn't wait online and now this whole 2 month wait time is just bumming me out. I want one now. Can I wait, of course but I really don't want to.

So with that said, is an Ipad 64gb wifi, 3g ATT Ipad suitable for what I want it for? I wasn't going on contract as I will use wifi 90% of the time and can use my phone as a hot spot when needed but I like the security of having 3g on demand if for some reason I need it. So ATT vs Verizon isn't a huge issue.

My main purpose for the Ipad is to watch TV shows, movies, email, document reviewing/editing for work, surf the web, check youtube, play games - games like Angry Birds, Cut the rope, the fruit slicing ninja game, etc...not those graphic intensive type real life games.

When I was in the store I was holding the Ipad 2 and really couldn't tell the difference from the original Ipad...I am sure if held one in one hand and one in the other the thinner/lighter would be more noticable but it wasn't too me just holding the one Ipad 2.

So for all of you experienced Ipad folks - based on my above info would you just save the $100 and get the original or is it really worth it for me to wait the 2 months and hold out for the "2"....oh yeah...I can't ever see myself using the cameras and I am the type of person who will be getting the Ipad 3 on launch day based on the lesson learned from Ipad 2 launch.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, what could I do on the Ipad 2 that wouldn't be able to do on the Original Ipad????

Thanks in advance

Splinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, At&t has slashed the prices on that Ipad 1 model. It's pretty attractive.

Part of me has thought about getting that one and just being done with it. But I purposely waited because I knew the new one was coming out. I just need to be patient.

That's not really going to help you.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad 2 has more functions and sooner or later apps will have more support for the iPad 3 which probably will have more RAM and all, so then the iPad will be outdated. I advise you to get the iPad 2 rather than the iPad 1 because more apps will look more into the iPad 2 rather than the iPad 1 and the camera is a great time killer.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Many thanks for your interesting post. I've had my iPad for about 4 months now and I'm in exactly the same quandry - to keep the existing iPad1 or upgrade to an iPad2 - and they don't even go on sale in the UK until Friday, so I haven't had the chance to hold one in my hand and see for myself. Although the iPad2 has a faster processor and much faster graphics and twice the system memory (RAM) it will need new apps to take advantage of those before we see the benefit in any tangeable form. That's clearly going to take some time and I'm sure that app designers won't want to overlook the substantial iPad1 market, either, so they're going to be in a difficult position. So my (personal) feeling is that the new iPad will make a difference in the games and video arena - where its much better graphics performance will give it the chance to differentiate itself - but will have less of an impact in the business sector - word processing, spread sheets etc.

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oops, forgot to welcome you! Well, welcome to the iPad forums, and hope you'll love the awesome iPad 1/iPad 2!!!!

realistdreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad 2 has more functions and sooner or later apps will have more support for the iPad 3 which probably will have more RAM and all, so then the iPad will be outdated. I advise you to get the iPad 2 rather than the iPad 1 because more apps will look more into the iPad 2 rather than the iPad 1 and the camera is a great time killer.

If you're gonna keep it past when iPad3 arrives, you'll want the two. Otherwise, for the needs that have been expressed, I'd get the iPad1.

For me, I know I'm not getting another one until maybe iPad 4, so I went with the 2. Probably won't use Facetime, but I bet the GPU speed will come in handy for some things.

OP
G

Gpodes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I think the AT&T price drop made my decision for me. I can get the 64gb 3g for $529 today. The $100 difference was nice but the $300 difference is really nice...enough so that when when the Ipad 3 comes out in a year or so it won't hurt so much to upgrade. If was a big gamer or face time user it would be different but work related items, web surfing and angry bird type gaming I think the Original for the price is the way to go.

thanks again for some insight

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Many thanks for your interesting post. I've had my iPad for about 4 months now and I'm in exactly the same quandry - to keep the existing iPad1 or upgrade to an iPad2 - and they don't even go on sale in the UK until Friday, so I haven't had the chance to hold one in my hand and see for myself. Although the iPad2 has a faster processor and much faster graphics and twice the system memory (RAM) it will need new apps to take advantage of those before we see the benefit in any tangeable form. That's clearly going to take some time and I'm sure that app designers won't want to overlook the substantial iPad1 market, either, so they're going to be in a difficult position. So my (personal) feeling is that the new iPad will make a difference in the games and video arena - where its much better graphics performance will give it the chance to differentiate itself - but will have less of an impact in the business sector - word processing, spread sheets etc.

Spooky. I've had my a little over 4 months as well and was thinking the same but I have decided to go for the new one. I think the 'experience' will be better with the new model, at least for me. I hate the slightest delay in browsing, page rendering etc. and video performance from the likes of OPlayer which I use will be much improved too. I also want the softer clicking home button (a small thing but something that has always annoyed me about the 1st gen) so I have reason enough for the upgrade. Roll on Friday.

Reaction score
My only question would be does hulu work better on iswifter (you did mention TV watching) on the 2 than the 1? Moot point now as you got a great deal on a 1
Welcome to the forum
I'm a newb here myself and to Ipad and have found this place marvelous

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Choice is clear to me

iPad2 64 gig wifi 3G AT&T. No contract on the 3G service is required, you may go month to month. I too use my iPhone as a hotspot so 3G is just insurance for connectivity. AT&T has much faster data service so that part was easy. 64 Gig as I have over 40 gig in my iPad.

Really, the only choice left to make is color and I made mine white as my iPad was black.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For the things you described you want to do, ipad1 can do all those things and more very easily. If you want the latest device with extra bells n whistles, go with the ipad2. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Ache_Brown

iPF Noob
Reaction score
photographs and not much else

Although it is hard to say what you will use the thing for in the end the main thing I want the ipad for is to show photographs on, I won't be editing them on the ipad I am not doing much with apps son my iphone4 so doubt i will be doing more on this now do i play video games, movies is something else again and browsing the web a little no doubt.

But my main reason for getting one is to use it as a portfolio to put in front of potential clients so they can go through photographs. (I am a photographer)
Do I need the ipad2 or will the first one do the same job and just as well?
The difference in money is about Ă‚ÂŁ110 or Ă‚ÂŁ160 for a used one.

Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts