What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I really need coverage for back/sides if kept in neoprene case when not in use?

jpayne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been through several cases and haven't been overjoyed with any of them, so I'm thinking about just getting an Apple Smart Cover and being done with it. I don't envision using it near any non-carpeted surfaces to where I could drop it on rocks, cement, etc; generally I'm sitting whenever it's in use. I put it in a neoprene zip case when not in use. Would a Smart Cover likely be sufficient for me?

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It depends. The short answer is yes. But if you want to protect the bottom from scratches, you likely will find you need some kind of back cover to go along with the SC. If you don't mind a scratch or two over time, then the SC is fine. Many of us like to sell the old to upgrade to the new..you get more back if there are no scratches.

j joy j

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just for safety's sake I would throw protection on it. I actually put a Zagg protector on the back of my iPads to save them from scratches for a couple reasons - resale and just maybe a touch of OCD (I like it to look nice, it's so pretty!). When I'm using my Smart Cover I actually use the Incipio SmartFeather. It doesn't add bulk or weight, it comes in many different colors to match the SM and even clear ones too I believe. It covers the back and corners a little so it's not too noticeable actually. Good Luck!

fausley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been through several cases and haven't been overjoyed with any of them, so I'm thinking about just getting an Apple Smart Cover and being done with it. I don't envision using it near any non-carpeted surfaces to where I could drop it on rocks, cement, etc; generally I'm sitting whenever it's in use. I put it in a neoprene zip case when not in use. Would a Smart Cover likely be sufficient for me?

I suggest you buy a back case. the iPad back is just too easy to be scratched, even by the zippers of the sleeve. You can buy a KaysCase back case:

http://www.amazon.com/KaysCase-Smart-Solution-Compatible-Generation/dp/B007LBY93A

It's extremely thin, and I'm sure you can put on it with the smart cover, and your iPad will still fit most of the sleeves.

I just posted some photos in this thread: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-acce...-case-kayscase-smart-solution.html#post540849

OP
J

jpayne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suggest you buy a back case. the iPad back is just too easy to be scratched, even by the zippers of the sleeve. You can buy a KaysCase back case:

It's extremely thin, and I'm sure you can put on it with the smart cover, and your iPad will still fit most of the sleeves.

Those look great, thanks! I think I'll go that route - the black hard case is only $9.99 and with free Prime shipping (thanks, Amazon Mom! :D) it looks like a great deal. Does the magnetic strip you have on the back cause it to shut off when it shouldn't (when held like a paperback book)?

fausley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Those look great, thanks! I think I'll go that route - the black hard case is only $9.99 and with free Prime shipping (thanks, Amazon Mom! :D) it looks like a great deal. Does the magnetic strip you have on the back cause it to shut off when it shouldn't (when held like a paperback book)?

No I have never experienced that.

OP
J

jpayne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No I have never experienced that.

Thanks; that was the only problem I had with a few of my cases. I ended up going with the KaysCase soft gel in clear. It's out for delivery already - gotta love free Prime and living a state away from their main shipping facility. :D

Most reactions

Latest posts