What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

do i have a deffective battery?

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi, i got myself a new ipad last week. it seemed to be discharging quite fast so i decided to do a battery test.
here are my movie playback results:
- 5% battery loss after 20 minutes of movie playback with sound muted, 100% brightness.

do you guys think something is off? or do you guys also get the same drainage?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The batteries in the iPad have proven to be pretty reliable (so far!) and have been living up to the 10 hour (average) use time, but what has been known to be a little "flakey" at times is the battery usage indicator!

This is why Apple suggests letting your battery drain to the point where the iPad shuts off then recharging it to 100% to re-calibrate the battery usage indicator.

From the Apple website --

ipad_battery.jpg

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The correct answer is, "As long as it takes!" It all depends on how much battery you have left when you start the process. To intentionally run the battery down, I usually start one of my streaming audio apps (like PocketTunes). This does two things: It keeps the screen on and maintains constant WiFi activity - two things that use the most power (except for 3G, but I don't have that on my iPad).

OP
M

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok i will run it down to zero and let you guys know.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You may need to set your Auto Lock in Settings to Never so your screen does not shut off.

ipad21.jpg

ipad22.jpg

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Damn...I didn't know this! I always top it off and rarely get below 30%...going to drain the sucker now with clock radio.

OP
M

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok 7 hours into a movie playback and my batter is at 10%. i doubt that i will make 10 hours advertised by apple. do you guys think apple will still exchange this device for me. i bought it 10 days ago... i don't really have time to send it to service because i will be out of the country in few days.
UPDATE: ok 8 hours and the battery has 3% left with no volume. is this expected?

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok 7 hours into a movie playback and my batter is at 10%. i doubt that i will make 10 hours advertised by apple. do you guys think apple will still exchange this device for me. i bought it 10 days ago... i don't really have time to send it to service because i will be out of the country in few days.
UPDATE: ok 8 hours and the battery has 3% left with no volume. is this expected?

You must have the brightness CRANKED! I keep mine at the lowest brightness and get about 14-16 hours out of it. And thats listening to music, watching movies (netflix, air video) browsing, email, chat, etc.

When I'm working I use it all day while I work so I charge every 2 days...sometimes nightly depending on how long I can use it straight or how long im working.

When I'm not working I charge it once a week.

OP
M

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You must have the brightness CRANKED! I keep mine at the lowest brightness and get about 14-16 hours out of it. And thats listening to music, watching movies (netflix, air video) browsing, email, chat, etc.

When I'm working I use it all day while I work so I charge every 2 days...sometimes nightly depending on how long I can use it straight or how long im working.

yes i do have brightness at 100%. but is apple's claim of 10 hour battery life on 100% brightness or something lower? am i just be paranoid here or do i have a battery problem (8hours video 100% brightness with muted volume). i want to be sure because i have 2 more days to return this thing.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

yes i do have brightness at 100%. but is apple's claim of 10 hour battery life on 100% brightness or something lower? am i just be paranoid here or do i have a battery problem (8hours video 100% brightness with muted volume). i want to be sure because i have 2 more days to return this thing.

When most companies say 10 hr battery life they mean at the lowest possible usage settings. If you have the brightness at 100% it is your fault that its not lasting. There was NEVER a claim to last 10 hrs at 100% brightness. Why would you expect that to be possible. The fact that it lasted 8 hrs is EXTREMELY impressive considering how excessively bright it gets (almost blinding!) Now put the brightness at a comfortable level and try again.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmm reading this thread made me check my own brightness settings and I was surprised to find the slider at 65%. Just have a rough rule of thumb that 10% is an hour of battery life. Seems to work fine in practise regardless of the app.

Most reactions