What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY Moleskine/Dodocase with a twist

unyi3lding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I posted this link to my DIY iPad case project in another thread, but I figured this would be more search-friendly.

I wanted a case similar to the Smart Cover's folding functions, but also wanted protection on front and back of the device. The result is my own custom case, which is call the Doduo Case

Details of the project (and full-scale drawings) are here: A is for Alfredo, Z is for Zonda: Project Doduo: The Making of My Own iPad Case

P1030299.JPG

(think of this as a first-gen attempt at a case. There is def room for improvement, like adding a hole for the camera :p happy to hear your suggestions!)

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nicely done.
I'd love to have your possibilities when it comes to machining parts.
Only thing I never liked on any case are the straps that hold the iPad in place, so I went for elastic foam at the sides for my iPad 1 last year.
I also put up an instructable here:
DIY Book-like iPad Case (Dodo / Moleskin style)

Good thing about this book case is, now that I have an iPad2 also and having bought a thin plastic case for it, it completely fits into my book cover for transportation. For home use I still love to take the iPad out of the book :)

Medic35

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What kind of magnets did you use? The one I have puts the iPad to sleep when I fold my cover over to the back...and that's the most common way I hold my iPad lol. Have you encountered this problem?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
U

unyi3lding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. :) The projects are really good and well done! glad to see i'm not the only one crazy enough to go to such lengths to make my own case :p

I used small neodymium magnets (about 5 mm in diameter). I haven't noticed this problem of shutting off the iPad when folded behind... How big/strong is the magnet? :confused:

Medic35

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's about the size of an American quarter, just a little bit bigger but about half as thick. It's pretty strong. It was just a magnet I had lying around, one from work that they wanted us to wear on our uniform. It's fairly strong.

Any idea where I can just get one or two magnets relatively cheap that are your size?

OP
U

unyi3lding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hmm I see. I can see how it'd behave that way..
Not sure if they sell little magnets individually like that (check crafts store?) Also, I'd be interested in seeing if magnetic tape is strong enough to activate the sensor. It's much weaker then neod, and cheaper too (a roll for ~$3?)

Most reactions

Latest posts