What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disappointing for Photographers

Knuck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was really hoping the iPad Pro would be suitable for professional photographers on the go. Unfortunately, so far it has proven to be extremely inadequate. Not only are the available apps lacking including Adobe's mobile apps, but downloads using the new lightning to SD camera card is painfully slow.

Hopefully I am doing something wrong but not only can I not access and edit raw images but the download of these images is taking over 2 hours where it only takes about 4 minutes on computer.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad doesn't show RAW files, and you can't edit them:
Using RAW images with iPhoto for iOS - Apple Support

Importing the images to your iPad shouldn't take hours. When I import my photos taken with my DSLR, it needs a few minutes, if there are a lot of them (JPEG and RAW).

There's a Lightroom app, afaik, but, like many apps, it's features are limited.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Do you have the brand new version of Apple's Lightning to SD card reader? Only the newest one supports USB 3 speeds, and it's only been avialable for a few days?

Just curious.

Which Adobe mobile apps are misssing? Anything that works with the older iPads should work with the iPad Pro, though they won't look as nice or take advantage of the extra screen space if not optimized.

Last I heard Adobe was commited to supporting the iPad Pro, so the few apps that are not yet available should be soon. Hold in mind Adobe's stratagy for iOS is a lot of specialized apps, rather than mobile versions of their full desktop apps.

They expect your iPad to be a tool in combination with your desktop, rather than a full featured workflow. Though from what I've seen/read (so far) amatures and semi-pros could probably use the just iPad Pro if they really wanted to. Probably not 'just' with the Adobe apps though. Lots of other great apps to play with.

OP
K

Knuck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have the brand new version of Apple's Lightning to SD card reader? Only the newest one supports USB 3 speeds, and it's only been avialable for a few days?

I was only aware of one version, just released, of the Lightning to SD card reader. I didn't realize there was a previous version. I will have to check on that.

Just curious.

Which Adobe mobile apps are misssing? Anything that works with the older iPads should work with the iPad Pro, though they won't look as nice or take advantage of the extra screen space if not optimized.

The issue isn't which apps are missing, the issue is that the available apps are simplistic. They are great for the recreational photographer who has no desire or need to learn the intricacies of Photoshop or Premiere Pro but they are extremely limited in functionality. Not supporting raw files makes professional work impossible.

Last I heard Adobe was commited to supporting the iPad Pro, so the few apps that are not yet available should be soon. Hold in mind Adobe's stratagy for iOS is a lot of specialized apps, rather than mobile versions of their full desktop apps.

Time will tell whether Adobe will commit to fuller versions of programs such as Photoshop and Premiere Pro although it is highly unlikely. Given the lack of a hard drive, 128 Gbs is a fraction of space required for full versions of these resource hungry applications and streaming from the cloud would simply not work.

They expect your iPad to be a tool in combination with your desktop, rather than a full featured workflow. Though from what I've seen/read (so far) amatures and semi-pros could probably use the just iPad Pro if they really wanted to. Probably not 'just' with the Adobe apps though. Lots of other great apps to play with.

I am not sure what Apple expects but they should be aware that their competitors, Microsoft and Vaio to name a few offer much better on-the-road solutions. I think Apple has created this product more for the enterprise user than the creative professional. Large corporations may be interested in outfitting their staff wth larger presentation tools that can be completely controlled by the company and easily utilized by the salesforce. I don't see this finding its way into the hands of the mainstream user.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts