What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DirecTV streaming to iPad?

taudelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did anyone catch the new DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket commercial that ran last night during "The Closer"? They highlighted: "DirecTV has also launched a new mobile version of its NFL Sunday Ticket package called NFL Sunday Ticket To-Go, which promises live game streaming on iPhone, iPad, "select Android, Blackberry smartphone and Windows Mobile devices," and Palm Pre handsets.

Does anyone know how this will work? Is it through an app or HTML5?

I'd love to watch live TV on my iPad when I'm on the road and my Hava Monsoon does not stream to the iPad...

Thanks!

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did anyone catch the new DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket commercial that ran last night during "The Closer"? They highlighted: "DirecTV has also launched a new mobile version of its NFL Sunday Ticket package called NFL Sunday Ticket To-Go, which promises live game streaming on iPhone, iPad, "select Android, Blackberry smartphone and Windows Mobile devices," and Palm Pre handsets.

Does anyone know how this will work? Is it through an app or HTML5?

I'd love to watch live TV on my iPad when I'm on the road and my Hava Monsoon does not stream to the iPad...

Thanks!
There's an app link at the bottom left corner. I couldn't open the description page, must be US only...

mjeagent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, DirecTV introduced this service last year for the IPhone. I have had the Sunday Ticket Package ever since it was first introduced and quite honestly it is the only reason why I keep DirecTV and don't change over to Verizon FIOS. From what I recall, in order to get/use the app you have to have the HD/Premium Sunday Ticket Package which I believe is an additional $10 (or so) per month. I did use it a few times last year. Worked out great over WIFI - although it will almost always blackout your local team. Worked ok over 3G - but most of the time had that heavy pixelated look to it.

scarlettohara1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, DirecTV introduced this service last year for the IPhone. I have had the Sunday Ticket Package ever since it was first introduced and quite honestly it is the only reason why I keep DirecTV and don't change over to Verizon FIOS. From what I recall, in order to get/use the app you have to have the HD/Premium Sunday Ticket Package which I believe is an additional $10 (or so) per month. I did use it a few times last year. Worked out great over WIFI - although it will almost always blackout your local team. Worked ok over 3G - but most of the time had that heavy pixelated look to it.

Direct Tv renamed the entire NFL package and left off the Premium. For 6 payments of $49.99 you get the NFL Sunday Ticket. This year it includes the NFL Superfan. To use the app you have to also subscribe to the additional plan called NFL Sunday Ticket to GO. It is 6 payments of $9.99. I thought the view on my iPhone was great! Can't wait to watch it on the iPad!

battech2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is a beautiful TV!

I watch all the live programming I'm subscribed to on my iPad and I don't pay anything extra for this service on my monthly bill. I also don't have Directv. I switched to DISH Network when I started working for them, and I'm very pleased that I get my hands on cool gadgets like the Sling Adapter before people who are subscribed to other providers. I'm looking forward to the iPad2's release to give my TV viewing a better look!

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
taudelt, you could get a slingbox and the slingplayer app for the ipad. You would be able to stream any of the channels you are subscribed to and there will be no monthly payments after the equipment purchase (just your cable subscription). I had a slingbox AV which worked on my iPhone (even though it said it wasn't supported it still worked) but did not work on my iPad. You have to have the Solo or Pro-HD, so I went down to BestBuy and picked up a Solo and now I'm a happy camper. My iPad is wifi only so I can't comment on streaming over 3G but over wif it is pretty darn good.

Last edited:

bbell2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I second the Slingbox. I travel a lot to Canada where the TV programming -- how should I say this -- sucks! Took me a while to get it working inside my firewall, but it was well worth the effort. As for DirecTv, the only things they support AFIK is Sunday ticket, HBOGO and MAXGO. I haven't found a way to watch network TV or the other movie channels.

bbell2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes we Canadians lack the media savvy to create such masterful work as "Dwayne The Dog Bounty Hunter", "Storage Wars"
"Jersey Shore" and the critically acclaimed
"Keeping Up With The Kardashians".

AA

OMG, I've never even heard of those. But yes, there's a lot of stupid stuff on US television too... it may be that the number of channels in hotels are limited. I just know that when I'm in Canada, I can only find only one channel airing shows I enjoy (like Bones, CSI or NCIS).

bbell2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Curious to know what programs you're missing in Canada since we import a lot of U.S. content.
AA

I've been using my Slingbox on my Canadian trips for so long now that I can't even remember the specific shows... but it was definitely something in the detective/investigative drama genre. One of the ones I mentioned, or maybe The Mentalist or Medium?

As I said, it could well be that those shows were on a channel not normally subscribed to by the hotels. It could also be that they get shows now that weren't available a couple of years ago.

That said, there are definitely a few other things I take full advantage of when I'm visiting our friends across the border -- I find that much of the seafood is high quality and well prepared, and I'd take a Bloody Caesar over its US counterpart any day :)

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
bbell2000 said:
I've been using my Slingbox on my Canadian trips for so long now that I can't even remember the specific shows... but it was definitely something in the detective/investigative drama genre. One of the ones I mentioned, or maybe The Mentalist or Medium?

As I said, it could well be that those shows were on a channel not normally subscribed to by the hotels. It could also be that they get shows now that weren't available a couple of years ago.

That said, there are definitely a few other things I take full advantage of when I'm visiting our friends across the border -- I find that much of the seafood is high quality and well prepared, and I'd take a Bloody Caesar over its US counterpart any day :)

I'll drink to that. Welcome to the forum.

AA

bbell2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What a coincidence...

DirecTv just added limited streaming to their iPad app a couple of days ago. Mostly news, but maybe additional channels are just a matter of making the right deals with the rest of the free channels.

Chuck6264

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DirecTv just added limited streaming to their iPad app a couple of days ago. Mostly news, but maybe additional channels are just a matter of making the right deals with the rest of the free channels.

Way more than news channels. Only two out of the 30 are news CNN and Fox News. NFL,NHL,NBA, MLB,Tennis, Golf, Bravo,USA, SYFY,TNT just to name a few.

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chuck6264 said:
Way more than news channels. Only two out of the 30 are news CNN and Fox News. NFL,NHL,NBA, MLB,Tennis, Golf, Bravo,USA, SYFY,TNT just to name a few.

Just been trying it out. Pretty cool. It's like having picture-in-picture while holding one in your hands. :) Add my wife's and it's picture-in-picture-in-picture. Could come in very handy on football Saturdays and Sundays. LOL

Most reactions