What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

digitizer replacement...where do you get good parts?

clammster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After letting my girl use the ipad the digitizer is broken. I am confident I can do the replacement...the issue is I can't find any replacements on ebay or amazon that seem to be legit. They all are very deceptive in their descriptions. I am interested in purchasing the real deal...not a cheap immitation. So that being said does anyone know a place that sells the real thing.

Sorry but 90% on ebay and amazon are knockoffs and are not the same quality.

I had one vendor tell me that his are original and he buys them as original...futher questioning found it wasn't but he passed the buck to his supplier saying they advertise as original. I think he knew.... so much deception with this part... where are the real ones.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only way to positively guarantee that the parts used in the repair of your iPad are genuine is to have Apple or an authorized repair centre service your iPad. Apple is not in the business of selling repair parts on the open market. This doesn't mean that you will never be able to buy genuine repair parts on the open market, it just means that it is more likely that you'll end up with counterfeit parts.

OP
C

clammster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thats pretty much what I am thinking. Might just shell out the 250.00 for a new one

OP
C

clammster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I found out that digiexpress.us is local to me and they have a walk in service. So I took the Ipad with me and headed to the mall. They were friendly. The tech were very young, but hey if they are trained...who am I to judge...Their eye sight is probably better then mine. So I went through the documentation and everything and was trying to decide...go for it or not. I decided to go for it. I can tell you that physically I can't tell their was a repair done. Nothing was damaged, scratched, etc... So I was happy with that part.

The digitizer they say is "OEM quality" if you press them they will tell you its not the exact same as apple. I asked if I could see the part before hand.. They agreed and I found it similar enough that I really couldn't tell much of a difference. Again so I gave the green light and my credit card. Now...I have heard negative review about this place with their advertising...they say its a 25.00 repair service...which it is.. They part cost 109.00. I think the reason they do that is because they state they will refund the cost of service...they wont refund the cost of the part they tried...so that is why its so expensive. Clever and effective marketing there...I digress..I came into with the attitude that most people are trying to scam me...so I asked alot of questions and they were entirely upfront on the cost of the repair... they didn't clearly define their warrenty. I found one pamplet that said 30 day warrenty, and another that said lifetime warrenty. I asked for a written copy of their warrenty policy but was not given one.... anyway...I still allowed them to do the repair.

Now once I got home I could really critique it. There is one area of the touchscreen that doesn't quite respond as well as the rest...but again im being picky. Also in that same area if you swipe it sometimes see it the wrong way. Then the 2nd item is Their is a small hotspot in the bottom right corner in the display. The pixels still work but you can see the backlight in that area...I noticed this once I got home and could see the apple power on screen.

So...

Was this repair effective. Yes. I no longer have to worry about shards of glass.
Was the repair perfect...well no..but I think I am being too critical considering I gave them a turd (ipad with broken glass) and expected a diamond.

The repair cost was 147 ish out the door. It took about 45 mins. 100 more I could have got a new ipad 2 so thats something to think about.

So I will update this thread with any future developments. Im not thrilled but not disappointed either. The real test will be with time and how long it holds up. Anyone know if apple has a upsell program...might trade it towards a 3 down the road....

Most reactions

Latest posts