What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital rights management and video issue

Mattdonino

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, I have a ViewSonic digital projector that I want to use to play movies from my iPad. I went to my local Apple store with iPad and projector (and VGA cable) in hand and was told by my very helpful store employee that a VGA adapter was available, excellent.

I asked to try it out and was told yes, of course, by said helpful employee. Two minutes of fiddling and up pops Avatar ( which I just bought on iTunes ) on the wall in full glory, excellent! And then... The video freezes and an error message pops up that says I'm not "authorized" to play this video on this device. Not that it can't, it won't.

Now, let me reiterate:
iPad paid for - check.
Movie, paid for - check.
Projector, paid for - check.
VGA adaptor, paid for - check.

Why can't I watch my movie on my iPad with my projector instead of the built-in screen?

YouTube plays fine, but iTunes stubbornly refuses. After determining that, yes, all the hardware is fine, yes the movie is legit, the employee consensus is: Apple is in their mind enforcing DRM a tad too ferociously and I will have to wait until it is addressed somewhere down the road.

Everyone in the store (full) thought it was a very cool idea and was impressed (momentarily anyway) with the quality of the video, all my geek friends were sitting around my house waiting to be wowed, too bad I couldn't make it go. If anyone can suggest a work around, I'd appreciate it.

Please Apple, ease up the reins a smidge I want to show off your cool technology...

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
try removing it from the device and putting it back on...I had a feature I had purchased on iTunes pop up as I wasn't authorized to view it on my iPod Touch for some reason, I put it on my iPad and it plays fine...not sure.

I have a component cable and it plays movies just fine.

OP
M

Mattdonino

iPF Noob
Reaction score
try removing it from the device and putting it back on...I had a feature I had purchased on iTunes pop up as I wasn't authorized to view it on my iPod Touch for some reason, I put it on my iPad and it plays fine...not sure.

Yup, I tried it 6-7 times, the best I could get was about a minute before the error message came back.

I tried the RCA and component cables that I have for my 3GS, but all they would play was the audio. Where did you get your cable, the store employees told me the VGA cable was my best (and only) hope for now, anyway...?

Thanks.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yup, I tried it 6-7 times, the best I could get was about a minute before the error message came back.

I tried the RCA and component cables that I have for my 3GS, but all they would play was the audio. Where did you get your cable, the store employees told me the VGA cable was my best (and only) hope for now, anyway...?

Thanks.

I bought my component cable at the apple store. You did get the white apple one right?

Oh btw, 3rd party cables might not work with the iPad...I tried to plug it into my car stereo and it said that accessory is not supported.

OP
M

Mattdonino

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup, that's the VGA cable, it works, slideshows and YouTube project fine, just no iTunes.

Looks like I'll be going back to the Apple store today to see if they have that componenT cable, thanks for the help. :)

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to make sure I wasnt losing my mind I just tested with a movie, a tv show, a video podcast streamed thru itunes and a photo slideshow and all of them played thru the component cable fine.

OP
M

Mattdonino

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The plot thickens...

Clipped from a mildly obscure Apple support page:

"Additional Information
iTunes Store movies (SD and HD) and TV shows (HD) require an HDCP digital connection. If you attempt to play this content using the iPad Dock Connector to VGA Adapter, an alert will appear to let you know that an HDCP-compatible device is required. To view iTunes Store content, sync the SD version of the TV show or use the Apple Component AV cable to play the HD version at 480p.

You cannot preview iTunes Store video content when using iPad Dock Connector to VGA Adapter."

Apparently the composite cable is the only option... Silly, it clearly works on the VGA cable just fine...

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Clipped from a mildly obscure Apple support page:

"Additional Information
iTunes Store movies (SD and HD) and TV shows (HD) require an HDCP digital connection. If you attempt to play this content using the iPad Dock Connector to VGA Adapter, an alert will appear to let you know that an HDCP-compatible device is required. To view iTunes Store content, sync the SD version of the TV show or use the Apple Component AV cable to play the HD version at 480p.

You cannot preview iTunes Store video content when using iPad Dock Connector to VGA Adapter."

Apparently the composite cable is the only option... Silly, it clearly works on the VGA cable just fine...

You mean component?

Most reactions

Latest posts