What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Different AT&T Data Plan Question

ColtsSN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't want to highjack the other thread.

Here's my question - on the AT&T website it states: "Usage in excess of 250 MB for the 250 MB plan, or 2GB for 2GB plan, during any 30 day period to be billed at $14.99 for each additional 250 MB, and $10 for each additional 1 GB, respectively."

However, that option doesn't seem to be available. My only option when I run out of data (after expending the 2G plan) is to order another 2G for $25.

The website does also say: "Offer not available for on-tablet activation."

Does that mean you only have the extra 1G/$10 option if you ordered your ipad from AT&T?

Thanks!

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Here's my question - on the AT&T website it states: "Usage in excess of 250 MB for the 250 MB plan, or 2GB for 2GB plan, during any 30 day period to be billed at $14.99 for each additional 250 MB, and $10 for each additional 1 GB, respectively."

However, that option doesn't seem to be available. My only option when I run out of data (after expending the 2G plan) is to order another 2G for $25.

Does that mean you only have the extra 1G/$10 option if you ordered your ipad from AT&T?

Thanks!

That's the postpaid plan available for the iPad 2 through AT&T. If you have the iPad 2, I believe you can switch over by contacting a customer rep at AT&T....but you have to have purchased the iPad 2 with AT&T coverage. Makes no difference where you purchased it.

For further reading see: Verizon vs AT&T iPad 2 data plans. Which one is cheaper? - Mar. 11, 2011

OP
C

ColtsSN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have called AT&T before posting. After guiding the customer service rep to the web page I was talking about, she said the 1G/$10 add on was only for POST PAID accounts, not pre-paid.

It says nothing of the sort on their website.

OP
C

ColtsSN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks!

That's the postpaid plan available for the iPad 2 through AT&T. If you have the iPad 2, I believe you can switch over by contacting a customer rep at AT&T....but you have to have purchased the iPad 2 with AT&T coverage. Makes no difference where you purchased it.

For further reading see: Verizon vs AT&T iPad 2 data plans. Which one is cheaper? - Mar. 11, 2011

That article is correct, I'm now really confused.

If neither the pre or post paid plans require a contract, and the post paid plan has the favorable charge for extra monthly data, why would anyone want the Pre-paid plan?

This wouldn't be an issue for me normally since I'm usually on WiFi, but we were without power for a week (in Alabama) and I used a lot a 3G to keep up with events.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Convenience, maybe. You have to call AT&T to set up the postpaid plan - they run an instant credit check. Then there's the odd little issue of the password if you want to manage your account online. A cell number is assigned to your iPad and they want to text the password to that number. Problem is the iPad's not a phone and doesn't receive text messages. So it's snail mailed (takes up to ten days), which I still find hilarious in light of the technology being enabled. Ordering the service directly through your iPad is quicker and if you stay within the limits of the plan selected, going that route makes sense.

Or, could be that people just don't know about the postpaid option. I don't think it was widely advertised.

Glad your power is back on; the scenes from Alabama are heartbreaking.

OP
C

ColtsSN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Convenience, maybe. You have to call AT&T to set up the postpaid plan - they run an instant credit check. Then there's the odd little issue of the password if you want to manage your account online. A cell number is assigned to your iPad and they want to text the password to that number. Problem is the iPad's not a phone and doesn't receive text messages. So it's snail mailed (takes up to ten days), which I still find hilarious in light of the technology being enabled. Ordering the service directly through your iPad is quicker and if you stay within the limits of the plan selected, going that route makes sense.

Or, could be that people just don't know about the postpaid option. I don't think it was widely advertised.

That's hilarious! Thanks for the info.

We were extremely lucky, no damage (except for the food loss). It makes you really appreciate what you have.

hjsimpson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Postpaid vs Prepaid Options from AT&T

Differences are marked in maroon.

Postpaid Plan
  • 30 day period
  • $14.99 - 250MB
  • $25.00 - 2GB
  • AT&T customers on a postpaid plan are charged $10 per 1GB of data after they go over their initial limit.
  • No Contract
  • Customer will receive regular AT&T bills for the data access. This is useful if you already have AT&T wireless service as it allows everything to be on one statement.
  • You cannot view your data usage via settings for cellular data settings on the iPad so alternatively you will have to log into the at&t website via Safari to do so or use the AT&T app.
Prepaid Plan
  • 30 day period
  • $14.99 - 250MB
  • $25.00 - 2GB
  • Prepaid customers who go over their limit are required to buy an additional 2GB of data access for $25.
  • No Contract
  • Charges appear on a customer's credit card statement.
  • You can see your data usage via settings for cellular data settings on the iPad.
I agree with Aspasia that most people do not know about the post paid option, me being one of them I wasn't aware of it till I talked to a AT&T rep.

I currently have the post paid option and if I were to switch to a prepaid I would have to go to an AT&T store to get a entirely new SIM card. Also depending on the store you may or may not have to pay for that new SIM.

I just wish that these companies (AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizion, etc.) would come up with a data plan structure for ALL of your devices, similar to how voice minutes are handled.

I'd pay $75 for 6GB for the ability for them to pull from one bulk container of data (and set data limits on each device) rather than have to pay for separate data plans for 2 iPhones and an iPad 2.

Who knows maybe one day. ..

Last edited:

bettafan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds expensive! Glad I got WiFi only. I have wireless at home, at work and most places I go have free WiFi. I have the $30. a month unlimited data plan with ATT on my iPhone. Don't think they offer unlimited anymore. I used my iPhone to keep in touch when my power was out for 5 days due to a snow storm. Alabama, so glad you are alright. The storm damage looked awful.

hjsimpson

iPF Noob
Reaction score

When I went to the store and they put me on a post paid plan, I never ran into the issue about the password. Did you activate the post paid plan over the phone?

schmidtj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Prepaid:
Each data purchase gives you a new 30 day period in which to consume the data.
No additional fees are tacked onto the plan cost.
Postpaid:
You are billed every month. If you go over in the month and elect additional data you have only until the end of the current month to use it.
Additional fees are tacked onto the cost similar to those extra fees on your wireless phone plan.
For the 250MB plan the fees in my area are $1.68 on top of the $14.99.

J

k7lvo

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't have personal experience with this, but I understand you can start/stop/change your postpaid plan anytime. Example: if you have the 200 mb plan and see that you're going over, you can change to the 2gb plan and get another 1.8 gb for $10 instead of another 200 mb for $15. Then, when your next billing cycle starts you can go back to the 200 mb plan.

Something that I've noticed is that my iPad transmits large amounts of data (~50 mb) in the early morning hours when 1) it - and myself! - are in the sleep mode, and 2) I'm at home on wifi. S-o-o-o... my new policy is to keep cellular data turned off except when I'm using it.

I got my iPad from an Apple dealer and took it to an AT&T store where they added it to my AT&T account - no muss, no fuss...

Last edited:

mrphantuan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Most reactions