What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Differences between 16 and 32 GB

rell123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Purchasing an IPAD 2 for daughter. She will load it with pics and music and use it for the usual-e-mailing etc. Approximately how much does each hold or what are the differences?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
rell123 said:
Purchasing an IPAD 2 for daughter. She will load it with pics and music and use it for the usual-e-mailing etc. Approximately how much does each hold or what are the differences?

The usable storage capacity of a 16GB iPad is about 14.28GB. The 32GB iPad has a storage capacity of about 28GB. Other than the storage capacity, the two are identical.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most teenagers will fill up a 16GB with tons of music and pictures in about a week if their conservative and only put on their version of the absolute essentials. The only way to upgrade is to buy the 32GB or 64GB model, you can't just purchase extra memory and install it, your stuck with what you buy. I'm almost 71 years old, and I have a 64GB iPad and I only have 25GB available, and thats just video, apps, photos, and no music on it. My iPhone 5 (32GB) has 16GB of music on it with only 8.5GB available. Things add up quickly. Resale is much better for the 32GB and 64GB units, because many people fill up their 16GB units and want a bigger one. Down side, they are more expensive. Also, make sure your get her a good protective case and insurance on the iPad you buy, teenagers break a lot of iDevices like the iPad and repair is very expensive. Good Luck!

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can always use cloud drives also to add extra storage.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iJamesH said:
You can always use cloud drives also to add extra storage.

The only drawback being that any item in cloud storage has to be downloaded to the iPad's internal memory before it can be used. It's not for anything you need instant access to, but is fine for anything where the download time isn't an issue.

waah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only drawback being that any item in cloud storage has to be downloaded to the iPad's internal memory before it can be used. It's not for anything you need instant access to, but is fine for anything where the download time isn't an issue.

Totally agreed! That is why I went for the 64gb version. I hate to wait for my data!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
rell123 said:

We bought my daughter a 16GB model and she is using hers for the same thing. No movies or big stuff, just some apps and music. She's been good at managing the space by removing apps she no longer uses and all that stuff. It's been working well for her but everyone is different. For basic use, the 16 GB model can work just fine.

OP
R

rell123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most teenagers will fill up a 16GB with tons of music and pictures in about a week if their conservative and only put on their version of the absolute essentials. The only way to upgrade is to buy the 32GB or 64GB model, you can't just purchase extra memory and install it, your stuck with what you buy. I'm almost 71 years old, and I have a 64GB iPad and I only have 25GB available, and thats just video, apps, photos, and no music on it. My iPhone 5 (32GB) has 16GB of music on it with only 8.5GB available. Things add up quickly. Resale is much better for the 32GB and 64GB units, because many people fill up their 16GB units and want a bigger one. Down side, they are more expensive. Also, make sure your get her a good protective case and insurance on the iPad you buy, teenagers break a lot of iDevices like the iPad and repair is very expensive. Good Luck!
Can you suggest a good protective cover ? I'm thinking of purchasing Squaretrade for insurance.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
rell123 said:
Can you suggest a good protective cover ? I'm thinking of purchasing Squaretrade for insurance.

You could consider AppleCare + which extends the basic warranty to two years and provides coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage. Te cost is $99.00 plus$49.00 for each damage claim made.

Most reactions