What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dictionary ?

LSC9901

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've recently noticed that when I sign my name to email or a form of some type that it is adding an "A" just before my last name. I have tried to find a dictionary in my iPad Air but no luck. Is there some way that I can eliminate this problem from occurring ?

Thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a thought: did you create a shortcut with the wrong information?

Check this in Settings - General - Keyboard - Text Replacement.

OP
L

LSC9901

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks but that is not the problem.

Next ???

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's possible you're name is getting autocorrected.

Once place that might cause this is if you have this name (with the A) entered in Contacts.

This is even more important if you have the problem contact selected under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > My Info (in the Contacts settings). Also, for web forms, look under Settings > Safari > AutoFill. See if it is turned on, and what contact you have selected.

Or it could be that your name ending in an 'a' is a valid name or word, and the spelling dictionary is being helpful. :(

In iOS 9 you are supposed to be able to override autocorrect by making an entry in the Text Replacement list that Johanna mentioned. Add a new item, enter your name in the Phrase field, leave the Shortcut field blank.

I don't know if this works in earlier version of iOS. I only saw it explicitly mentioned in an article about iOS 9.

Or you could try what I do, and just turn autocorrect off. I'm a terrible speller, but I find I'm less embarrassed by my obvious spelling mistakes than the sometimes outlandish results that I get in autocorrect.

I do leave it on on my iPhone. The small keyboard makes correcting mistakes more of a chore, and the shortness of most messages make it less likely I won't notice bad autocorrects.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"I do leave it on on my iPhone. The small keyboard makes correcting mistakes more of a chore, and the shortness of most messages make it less likely I won't notice bad autocorrects."

I find the Swype keyboard very useful on my phone for this reason. Not so much on the iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I tried a few third party keyboards, but found their limitations (mostly switching betwen keyboards) more frustrating than their utility, at least ont he iPad where I traditionally keep a couple of languages active.

I may give them another go with iOS 9 and see if things have improved.

I keep a couple of third party keyboards on my iPhone, but I'm more interested in totally different input methods, like drawing, gifs, and handwriting. The built in keyboard is good enough for me, epsecially since I make h eavy use of Siri and Dictation on the iPhone.

I've used swype type keyboards in the past, even kept with it long enough to get half way proficient; but I've never grown to like them.

Most reactions

Latest posts