What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing a word from the dictionary

Mikemetham

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I try to type my name in most documents, it is auto corrected to
"Mike Ethan" this is not close to my name and it is annoying to have to remove the autocorrection.. I found the instructions for removing a word from the dictionary but the instructions are incorrect as there is no field in the general page of Setting/keyboard corresponding to "modify dictionary" Help would be appreciated. Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no good way to remove words. Tim suggests adding words to you Contacts app, in the Name fields. It won't correct those. So if you have a contact for yourself, it should stop trying to auto correct your name.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that. A good idea and I'll try it! Thought I was being incompetent.

The poet is being too generous, as it wasn't originally my idea but I have been suggesting it!! In fact, of course, it works for any words - so if you have special technical or business terms in what you're writing, just enter them as 'spoof' contacts and they won't get corrected.

Tim

Reaction score
It is not possible to remove autocorrections, but it is possible to manually add words to the dictionary. However, this option only appears when one of the asian languages is choosen as a possible keyboard layout. So you would go to Settings->General->Keyboard->International keyboard->Select Japanese (Romanji). Than go back one level and it will show a new option 'Edit User Dictionary'. Any words inserted there should not be autocorrected.nz

Most reactions

Latest posts