What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem on dictionary on IPad Mini

takuro1103

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm just new in this forum and nice to talk to you all, I have some problem on the built-in dictionary and would like to have some help here, thanks so much for helping.

the problem is, I would like to add a Japanese dictionary into the built-in dictionary, this is what I did: hold on any words until the "COPY/DEFINE" come out, click on DEFINE, than MANAGE at the corner and download the Japanese Dictionary I want, it works great after I download it, but if I kill the apps from background, the Japanese dictionary gone and I need to re-download it from iCloud (I was OK for translating Japanese from iBook BEFORE I Kill it from background), can any brother here teach me how I can fix the Japanese dictionary so I do not have to re-download it every time after I kill the apps? As when I'm not connecting to wifi, I cannot download the dictionary....thanks so much for your help and hope you guys can understand my poor english.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm just new in this forum and nice to talk to you all, I have some problem on the built-in dictionary and would like to have some help here, thanks so much for helping. the problem is, I would like to add a Japanese dictionary into the built-in dictionary, this is what I did: hold on any words until the "COPY/DEFINE" come out, click on DEFINE, than MANAGE at the corner and download the Japanese Dictionary I want, it works great after I download it, but if I kill the apps from background, the Japanese dictionary gone and I need to re-download it from iCloud (I was OK for translating Japanese from iBook BEFORE I Kill it from background), can any brother here teach me how I can fix the Japanese dictionary so I do not have to re-download it every time after I kill the apps? As when I'm not connecting to wifi, I cannot download the dictionary....thanks so much for your help and hope you guys can understand my poor english.
Hi, takuro1103! Welcome to iPF!

This didn't happen to me. When I read your post, I downloaded a few dictionaries, force closed all apps, deleted Safari history, reset and restarted my iPad. The dictionaries are still there every time I open them, even though more than 10 hours are gone now. Just tried: they work offline as well.

My question: where did you perform these steps (define - manage - download)? If it was in iBooks, try the same in Safari. Open a random website, tap a word and choose "Define" as before. Follow the procedure as usual. Maybe this will solve your problem.

If it still exists, reset your iPad: press and hold Home and Power button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, release both and let your device power up on it's own.

Btw: your English is way better than you think. :)

Last edited:
OP
T

takuro1103

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, takuro1103! Welcome to iPF!

This didn't happen to me. When I read your post, I downloaded a few dictionaries, force closed all apps, deleted Safari history, reset and restarted my iPad. The dictionaries are still there every time I open them, even though more than 10 hours are gone now. Just tried: they work offline as well.

My question: where did you perform these steps (define - manage - download)? If it was in iBooks, try the same in Safari. Open a random website, tap a word and choose "Define" as before. Follow the procedure as usual. Maybe this will solve your problem.

If it still exists, reset your iPad: press and hold Home and Power button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, release both and let your device power up on it's own.

Btw: your English is way better than you think. :)

Thanks so much for your reply, and yes, I downloaded the dictionary by define - manage - download, and I have tried this on iBook, Safari, and other apps that contain words, but the dictionary still disappear after I closed all apps. I have already added Japanese Keyboard but its still happened :(
Thanks for your advice and I think I should go for resetting of my iPad, poor me.... ><

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply, and yes, I downloaded the dictionary by define - manage - download, and I have tried this on iBook, Safari, and other apps that contain words, but the dictionary still disappear after I closed all apps. I have already added Japanese Keyboard but its still happened :( Thanks for your advice and I think I should go for resetting of my iPad, poor me.... ><
There's no need to worry. The reset I suggested will not remove anything. Some would call it "reboot".

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A quick search of the internet shows other users complaining about this. All the ones I saw were for the Japanese-English dictionary. I found no solution, other than to offer Apple feedback to make sure they got it fixed.

Are you're other dictionaries staying downloaded, or are all of them disappearing?

Here is the feedback link for Apple.

Apple - iPad - Feedback

Rumors are that iOS 7.1 will be out soon(ish). Since the problem has been reported we can hope it will be fixed with that update, but it wouldn't hurt to add one more straw to the pile.

OP
T

takuro1103

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A quick search of the internet shows other users complaining about this. All the ones I saw were for the Japanese-English dictionary. I found no solution, other than to offer Apple feedback to make sure they got it fixed.

Are you're other dictionaries staying downloaded, or are all of them disappearing?

Here is the feedback link for Apple.

Apple - iPad - Feedback

Rumors are that iOS 7.1 will be out soon(ish). Since the problem has been reported we can hope it will be fixed with that update, but it wouldn't hurt to add one more straw to the pile.

Yes, all other dictionaries work fine except those related to Japanese, and thanks for tell me that this caused by IOS rather than my phone (I have searched for this problem before on the net but I just couldn't find anything about this...). So what I can do is to wait for IOS 7.1 and hope this will be fixed :(

Thanks everyone for helping me here!

Most reactions

Latest posts