What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dictation on the Mini

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How does dictation work on the Mini? Does it need training in voice recognition or is it straightforward?
Does the Nexus 7 have a dictation feature?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When you use dictation on the mini a recording of your voice is sent to Apple's servers. The servers convert the recording into text and then it sent back to your iPad as text. Dictation works best when there is very little background noise. I am using it now to make this reply.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
now I'm using my Nexus 7 to dictate this post. It works differently than the iPad mini version of dictation. This 1 translate your words that you speak them. It feels a little bit different but you can see what is being translated as you speak. I have to admit, this works a little bit better than dictation on the mini. well the dictation maybe better
on the Nexus 7, using the keyboard to type of a post here is horrible on the Nexus 7. I cannot really explain why is such a bad experience to type on this Android tablet on forums. but dictation seems to work better on the next 7 than on the mini.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Neither one of them seem to require "training", though it maybe happening behind the scenes. The user doesn't notice if training is occuring, but I image it is in some form or fashion. Millions of users are training these speech-to-text systems over time.

I have to admit that I rarely use dictation. I'm decent at typing and I'd rather type than talk. And dictation feels wrong to me if/when others are around. And background noise tends to cause a lot of errors, IME.

OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dictation etc.

Thanks for all that info. When you say Nexus keyboard is 'funny' to type on, exactly what do you mean? Is it one that second guesses what your next word will be and types it? I intend to use dictation on all my emails so it is important to me. My typing has become a bit of a problem, some stiff fingers....,..By the way, have you tried to download books from ePub or other book sources on either iPad Mini or Nexus 7? I have heard one cannot do it.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for all that info. When you say Nexus keyboard is 'funny' to type on, exactly what do you mean? Is it one that second guesses what your next word will be and types it? I intend to use dictation on all my emails so it is important to me. My typing has become a bit of a problem, some stiff fingers....,..By the way, have you tried to download books from ePub or other book sources on either iPad Mini or Nexus 7? I have heard one cannot do it.

Nexus 7 does have that swipe style typing which I hate...and it does guess your next word...but I simply cannot respond to a forum post using either of those keyboards. For me, they work in a horrible way. You may have to test it for yourself, but I find them unusable.

No, I have not downloaded any books from ePub or otherwise. I stick to Amazon Kindle for all of my ebooks and I listen to a lot of audiobooks as I commute 80 miles/day.

OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank all of you for your generous sharing of knowledge. It really has helped. Now if I can download Dropbox, I should be able to get books from different free sites and drag/drop onto the Mini.... I hope.,

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use SIRI to dictate emails and have to make some corrections but probably fewer than when I type. I use google search in the voice mode and it works even better the few times I have used it. I only see these voice recognition programs getting better but you do need that internet connection for it to work.

mrmayor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, do you just turn the iPad on and begin dictating? Are you able to put in a text processor that can be transferred to Word? How does one accomplish this?

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad can dictate to any app that has a text field. When the option is turned on, a dictation key appears on the default keyboard. You tap this to start speaking, and tap again to stop. Alternately you can tap and hold while speaking. It will stop when you release the key.

I admit the Nexus 7's dictation does seem a bit better. But both often need a bit of correction. It can be distracting watching it appear as you speak, because it's constantly changing as it refines it's response, so I tend to ignore the live feedback.

Here is a thread on some of the tips and tricks for dictation on the iPad. In my experience (limited) most of these commands also work in Google's dictation. I believe they are both based on the same speech engine as Dragon Dictation, a third company.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-3-forum/81750-dictation-tips-tricks.html

Most reactions

Latest posts