What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Device names

jkingrph

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have several i devices, iphone and a couple of ipads, a pro and mini. Sometimes I look and will see something like the name of my iphone, which should be Jeff's iphone changed to jeff's ipad. Is there any way to stop this from happening, I have not initiated such changes and they seem to occur randomly.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The only place to change the name of your devices is in Settings > General > About > Name. There is no automatic or remote way, that I know of, for it to be changed.

Where are you seeing the sometimes changing device names? If they are all using the same Apple ID and iCloud account it’s possible you are seeing the different devices reporting eachother’s names for some shared functions.

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Check your iCloud settings to see what devices you have that are registered to iCloud.
Settings > Your Name > Scroll down to see iCloud registered devices. They should be registered under the name you gave them. As twerppoet say’s, there’s no way for the system to change a devices name.

If you see a device(s) that you don’t recognise or don’t use any more you can select it there and remove it from the account, but make sure you don’t select a device you recognise or you’ll have to reregister it with iCloud.

OP
J

jkingrph

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know about naming the device in settings general about names. I can set it to the proper name and it will sometimes change. In fact I just looked at my iphone which was named jeff's iphone and while typing this if flashed and changed to jeff's ipad. No idea why! They all share the same apple id, and account

Last edited:

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As I said above try looking at Settings>iCloud, not Settings>General, and see what your device names are that you’ve registered for iCloud.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Where were you looking when it changed, and what were you doing. Be specific, the app where the device name was displayed when it changed, and where in the app/screen the name was dispalyed.

I’m having trouble visualizing this, since the device name is not normally displayed outside the settings app, or a hand full of places that give you information on your devices. if I can see what you are seeing, and duplicate the task I might be able to figure something out. Otherwise, I’m clueless.

Screenshots (suitably censored) would also be welcome.

Most reactions

Latest posts