What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

deleting URL history in Safari...

hai_mao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Ladies and Gents....

I'm new to the forum and have a problem.

I want to delete my safari URL history. Sounds easy right? It really isn't.

So i've gone into Settings>Safari>... then i've clicked 'Clear History' & the 'Clear Cookies and Data' button. This doesn't work.

Ive also opened up Safari and clicked on the Booked shaped button at the top left, and clicked cleared history... This has only cleared the browsing history but has not cleared the URL auto predict history.

For example when i want to visit YouTube in Safari..... i click on the Safari App... Then i would click on the URL bar to input youtube.com...
So i type Y first... then it would still list all the sites i have previously visit starting with Y....

Thats what i want to delete. So how do i delete the predicted URL or the URL history?

Hope someone can help with my dilemma.

Thanks for your time.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go to the bookmarks icon at the top left of the screen in Safari, and clear history from there. You can also go to advanced in Settings/Safari and clear out any website data that survives clearing cookies and cache.

Once you've done that lot, Safari will no longer predict URLs based on your history.

OP
H

hai_mao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to the bookmarks icon at the top left of the screen in Safari, and clear history from there. You can also go to advanced in Settings/Safari and clear out any website data that survives clearing cookies and cache.

Once you've done that lot, Safari will no longer predict URLs based on your history.

I have no bookmarks.

Also I've gone into advanced settings and there's nothing to clear there either....

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Before answering your question, I did this myself. I have just deleted iPF from my bookmarks, and as you can see from the screenshot, iPF no longer shows, even though I spend half my life on here.

image-1482916339.jpg

The only predictions when I type the letter "I" are those for which I still have bookmarks. In the Bookmarks drop down, select the Clock symbol. That will show you your history of typed URLs.

OP
H

hai_mao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before answering your question, I did this myself. I have just deleted iPF from my bookmarks, and as you can see from the screenshot, iPF no longer shows, even though I spend half my life on here.

View attachment 34694

The only predictions when I type the letter "I" are those for which I still have bookmarks. In the Bookmarks drop down, select the Clock symbol. That will show you your history of typed URLs.

Like I've said there are no book marks, (I've deleted them all), I've clicked clear history, I've clicked clear cookies and data, I've powered down after all of these checks and when I reboot up I still get the predictions. I've also closed every app that's open in the background.

Why am I the only one with this problem? Surely someone who knows the solution?

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try resetting the iPad and see if that does the trick:

Settings > General > Reset, and choose Erase All Content and Settings

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iJamesH said:

A bit drastic, don't you think?

OP
H

hai_mao

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I think this is my only option as ALL ELSE has failed! Why does apple have to be so retarded and hard to use?
Not user friendly at all!

No1 has the solution. Thanks anyway

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I think this is my only option as ALL ELSE has failed! Why does apple have to be so retarded and hard to use?
Not user friendly at all!

No1 has the solution. Thanks anyway

A reset is not drastic. It does not delete any information on the iPad. Just hold down the Home and Power button until the Apple Logo appears (10 to 15 seconds, usually).

A restore, that's drastic. It takes your device back to out of the box condition.

Before you do a restore, you should try going to Settings > General > Reset, and choose Reset All Settings. This is an in-between option, reset vs restore. It does not delete any data or remove any accounts, but you'll have to re-tweak most of your other settings.

I doubt any of this is going to make much of a difference. Kevin's solution should have worked, or we're misunderstanding the actual issue.

OP
H

hai_mao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
a reset is not drastic. It does not delete any information on the ipad. Just hold down the home and power button until the apple logo appears (10 to 15 seconds, usually).

A restore, that's drastic. It takes your device back to out of the box condition.

Before you do a restore, you should try going to settings > general > reset, and choose reset all settings. This is an in-between option, reset vs restore. It does not delete any data or remove any accounts, but you'll have to re-tweak most of your other settings.

I doubt any of this is going to make much of a difference. Kevin's solution should have worked, or we're misunderstanding the actual issue.

full factory restore to defaults has solved the problem. The only way to solve this dilemma it seemed.

OP
H

hai_mao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, yes. That generally fixes anything but a hardware failure.

Did you try the Reset All Settings? Just curious.

I tried that but still didn't work. Now I think it could been something to do with the backup made on the computer?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No idea, really.

When Kevin posted his answer, I didn't think it would work. I seemed to remember it not working before; so I tested it.

It worked, leaving me no problem to experiment with. ;)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
No idea, really.

When Kevin posted his answer, I didn't think it would work. I seemed to remember it not working before; so I tested it.

It worked, leaving me no problem to experiment with. ;)

I checked prior to posting. Only thing I can think of is that I have Safari turned off in iCloud.

Most reactions