What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deleting apps

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Press and hold the app until it starts to shake and then press the "x" that appears in the upper corner of the app.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Press and hold the app until it starts to shake and then press the "x" that appears in the upper corner of the app.

Just for further clarification, if you have an app which was sync to iTunes on your computer - if deleted off the iPad by the method suggested - will the app either re-load once a new sync to iTunes is performed or will the option be given to delete the app from the computer?

Might be of interest to those who want to 'permanently' delete an app from their collection regardless of where the program is store? :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Just for further clarification, if you have an app which was sync to iTunes on your computer - if deleted off the iPad by the method suggested - will the app either re-load once a new sync to iTunes is performed or will the option be given to delete the app from the computer?

Might be of interest to those who want to 'permanently' delete an app from their collection regardless of where the program is store? :)

Typically the app will stay in iTunes if it is already there, but will not be marked for syncing (check mark next to it) with the device that deleted it.

The app may sync with other devices automatically, depending on your settings for them.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can also delete the app from your personal iTunes by selecting "Delete" when you right-click on an app. I usually elect to "send to the Recycle Bin" because, after all, I didn't decide to delete it and then leave it on my system...

It'll still show up in the App Store under the Purchases tab. And, it'll still show "install" versus "FREE" or the price, but there's nothing you can do about that.

There! Now you know more about deleting apps than you ever thought you needed (or wanted! :D).

Marilyn

scottnsf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
You can also delete the app from your personal iTunes by selecting "Delete" when you right-click on an app. I usually elect to "send to the Recycle Bin" because, after all, I didn't decide to delete it and then leave it on my system...

It'll still show up in the App Store under the Purchases tab. And, it'll still show "install" versus "FREE" or the price, but there's nothing you can do about that.

There! Now you know more about deleting apps than you ever thought you needed (or wanted! :D).

Marilyn

i am assuming you're speaking of deleting apps from the mobile apps folder in the itunes library on the computer the ipad gets synced with, yes? i would like to weed-out, permanently, some apps which proved to be junk but only temporarily get rid of those i'm not currently using for one reason or another. i'd HATE to have to sort thru them all if i get a new ipad or need to reset this one. i did that twice already back when i had only half the apps i have now and it was a nightmare!
scottnsf

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i am assuming you're speaking of deleting apps from the mobile apps folder in the itunes library on the computer the ipad gets synced with, yes? i would like to weed-out, permanently, some apps which proved to be junk but only temporarily get rid of those i'm not currently using for one reason or another. i'd HATE to have to sort thru them all if i get a new ipad or need to reset this one. i did that twice already back when i had only half the apps i have now and it was a nightmare!
scottnsf

Exactly.

You do this under the Apps listed on the left side of iTunes (up towards the top of that left column - under Library). You don't have to have the iPad connected.

And, I so get what you're saying ... which is why I delete apps. I am an appaholic, so anything I can do to keep my list smaller... :)

Heck, you could delete all the ones that you don't have on your iPad right now. With the App Store's new "purchased" tab - you can always re-look at your list and re-download whatever/whenever you wish. I've just not gone that far, yet - I'm happy for now just deleting the ones I find to be worthless. YMMV.

Marilyn

akaroads

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had apps removed from the app store that I have been using and there is no way to get another copy such as Wififofum which I find very useful. Is there a way to save apps outside of iTunes?

Sent from my iPad 32/3G using iPF

Most reactions