What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Data Plan Question.

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am soon to come into possession of my very first electronic tablet - a IPad with WiFi/3G capabilities. My decision to go with the dual option was because of reading that an unlimited data plan for it would be $30/mo through AT&T. I then (after having the order submitted) happened across some information stating that (as of June 7, 2010) the unlimited data plan would not be available to newcomers. In its place would be a 2GB plan, at $25/mo.

I don't know as to what would constitute the biggest 'bite' from that, and hope that I can get some ideas here (my internet activity, for the greater part, would be just for surfing & emailing). The dual usage models are $160 more than than the WiFi only units, and I don't want to find that I might have to shell out $50 (or more) per month, because of exceeding the 2GB limit. If that were to indeed be the likely scenario, I will send the unit back - unopened - for a singular (WiFi only) model.

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The question will be how much of the time will you use it with a wifi source as opposed to needing cellular? I only pay for the 3G when I know I am going to be traveling. Last year it was only 2 months. The rest of the time this is a wifi only iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .I don't want to find that I might have to shell out $50 (or more) per month, because of exceeding the 2GB limit. If that were to indeed be the likely scenario, I will send the unit back - unopened - for a singular (WiFi only) model.

It won't let you exceed the limit. When you reach the limit it will stop working until you purchase more data or the plan auto-renews at the end of 30 days cycle.

Apple iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G - AT&T iPad Plans - Wireless from AT&T

pricej636

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you can afford the 3G model then go for it. For me its nice to know I can just pay for the month and have data on the ipad when I travel or just need to flexibility of not being on wifi. I certainly dont pay for it every month.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thanks everyone. I appreciate your input.

Yellow109r

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So does it automatically renew and u have to cancel it or each month u have to renew it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SBHOKC said:
You have to cancel it.

What if it won't renew?

One option is to call AT&T and find out if the problem is on their end. Better yet, if there's an AT&T store near you, stop by, explain the problem and they can check the status of your account.

I recently purchased the postpaid plan and the folks at my local AT&T store told me they could easily handle any changes I'd like to make. Much better than hanging on the phone for hours waiting for "customer service."

Bouvmom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Aspasia said:
One option is to call AT&T and find out if the problem is on their end. Better yet, if there's an AT&T store near you, stop by, explain the problem and they can check the status of your account.

I recently purchased the postpaid plan and the folks at my local AT&T store told me they could easily handle any changes I'd like to make. Much better than hanging on the phone for hours waiting for "customer service."

I ended up calling the apple help line....you can have them call you back immediately, and they were wonderful. They called me back right away and when what they suggested didn't work, they connected me immediately with ATT help line and they walked me through to resolution.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
The $30 unlimited plan is no longer and option.
also if you have the $30 plan and cancle it, you must pick from the $14 or $25 plans.

as for an idea on data usage, I watch a streaming movie from netflix and it used up around 250MB.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Aspasia said:

I ended up calling the apple help line....you can have them call you back immediately, and they were wonderful. They called me back right away and when what they suggested didn't work, they connected me immediately with ATT help line and they walked me through to resolution.

That's great to hear. I had a rather goofy experience with AT&T - since I have the postpaid plan, I want to manage it online so I set up an online account.....until I came to the part where it said it was going to text my password to my device.

Oh dear. I wound up calling AT&T, explained that my device was an iPad and that it didn't receive text messages. For security reasons they could not give it to me over the phone nor could they send me the password via my email address. In these days of magical technology, AT&T has to send my password via snail mail! The customer rep and I had a good laugh about it. And I've yet to receive it.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless you're mostly streaming movies on your iPad you might be surprised how much data you actually use. I'm on the web all day long, on 3G, and I send quite a few large photo and movie files. When I end up streaming Netflix movies I'm on wifi (airport, home, most any retail space or place of business).

When I sold my ATT iPad I checked my data usage for the year. I was surprised that I never went much over 700mb. So I saved $10 a month by going with Verizon's $20 1GB plan.

I'll admit I was a bit nervous because my data speed is much faster now, and I've really used my new iPad 2 a lot (new toy syndrome). But I just now checked my account for the first month and I still have 309mb left for the remaining 1 day! :)

linheli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So does it automatically renew and u have to cancel it or each month u have to renew it
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions