What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dark or light background for better battery life?

Reaction score
I know the iPad gets very good battery life but I do a lot of reading and am wondering if the iPad gets better battery life with the light or dark background. I keep my brightness all the way down on either except when I go outside.
On my Incredible with AMOLED display the blacker the background the better the battery life on a very noticeable level and it's easier to read with a dark background.
I am wondering which background is better for battery life,if either, as either is comfortable to use.
Thank you.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I never thought a dark or light background would affect the battery? only the brightness level?

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think the screen color matters with the iPad. As with your Incredible has a different type of screen "AMOLED" which can save battery power with a dark background.

OP
Mountainbikermark
Reaction score
Thank you. I know the Ipad isn't AMOLED and am not sure if it would be considered LCD, which prefers white is why I asked.
Thank you again.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless the pixels are off, they're powered, so you probably won't see any significant difference in battery life because of the wallpaper.

Keep the screen on low when you can and you'll be fine.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know the iPad gets very good battery life but I do a lot of reading and am wondering if the iPad gets better battery life with the light or dark background. I keep my brightness all the way down on either except when I go outside.
On my Incredible with AMOLED display the blacker the background the better the battery life on a very noticeable level and it's easier to read with a dark background.
I am wondering which background is better for battery life,if either, as either is comfortable to use.
Thank you

The technical side of iPad2 is identical. The only difference is the color of the bezel.

Specs from Apple.

9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)
Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating

AMOLED has nothing to do with Apple products at this time.

Last edited:
OP
Mountainbikermark
Reaction score
That's why I asked.I knew my Ipad isn't AMOLED. Ipad is lEd? Good to know for trying to view with sunglasses on. Skip my polarized Oakleys
Thank you

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Most reactions

Latest posts