What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cydia stopped working

OP
A

acosta2269

iPF Noob
Reaction score
did your pkgbackup go smooth, you got everything back?

not yet...still trying. I re-loaded PKGBackup and it says "your previous backup is either corrupted or inexistent".

How can I get the backup file back from my PC? Can I copy it back into my contacts so PKGBackup can find it? If so, how?

I also tried copying that file (originally saved in contacts) into dropbox and restoring from dropbox...but its not finding it. Does it save in different formats (dropbox and contacts)?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only way PKGBackup will find/be able to use that Contacts file is if it was in the last backup you made with iTunes.

Did you "restore the iPad from backup"? That should put your Contacts back onto the iPad, in which case that file should be there for PKGBackup to find...

Hope that helps.

Marilyn

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, I told you wrong ... or didn't tell you enough. It might be possible to e-mail that contacts file to yourself.

[Here's the site address for later reading: PKGBACKUP - User Guide

The main part is - does that file you say you have end with a VCF extension? If it does, try this (from the site):

1. 1.Donald receives the email from Mickey with the PKGBackup data attached as a VCF file.
  2. 2.Donald 2x clicks to import the VCF file into his addressbook (either from the device or on his computer)
  3. 3.Donald launches PKGBackup & taps on ‘Restore’ context icon on the toolbar. Voilà, it’s there
Couldn't hurt to try, eh?

Marilyn

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had that same issue with pkgbackup, got pissed for a bit, and decided to give xbackup a try.....updated firmware and used xbackup to restore my cydia tweaks and settings, and is a happy camper with xbackup.

OP
A

acosta2269

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The main part is - does that file you say you have end with a VCF extension?

Marilyn

It actually has a .contact extension.

I re-synched all my apps in itunes and re-downloaded what i could think of from cydia. My capacity now has 11gb free. Before this all started i only had 6 gb left. My "other" category was over 5gb and now is only 0.36gb. I gained 5gb. Not sure what that was, since i've now reloaded most of the cydia apps i had before manually.

Honestly...i dont think i want to restore from the backup at this point....it may re-install whatever bloated the "other" category. I'll continue to reload what i need as i recall them....but this time keep a spreadsheet on them (thanks for the tip).

Thank you again for all the help.

OP
A

acosta2269

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone know why my 16gb ipad only came with a 14 gb capacity....and the capacity was reduced to 13.5 on the restore?

Is that normal? Is there a way to get that back?

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Anyone know why my 16gb ipad only came with a 14 gb capacity....and the capacity was reduced to 13.5 on the restore?

Is that normal? Is there a way to get that back?

Because hardware manufacturers (disk drives etc) quote capacity in one way whilst the operating systems do it another way. Go buy a 2TB drive and it will be reported as having only 1836GB when you put it in your computer.

(capacity is measured in 1000s by one lot and in 1024s by the other. Go figure!).

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
acosta2269: Glad to hear you've got things pretty much all sorted (and some space back at that!).

Now, if I may be so bold - do a backup! Run PKGBackup (putting it on Dropbox this time) and also do a backup through iTunes. That way, you've got your "stock" stuff saved plus your Cydia tweaks and settings.

That way, should this happen again ... you're good to go.

Just a suggestion ...

Marilyn

OP
A

acosta2269

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will do Marilyn. Im having trouble getting PKGBackup to work again. It keeps looking for the old backup files and says they dont exist. I may have to give xbackup a try.

OP
A

acosta2269

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because hardware manufacturers (disk drives etc) quote capacity in one way whilst the operating systems do it another way. Go buy a 2TB drive and it will be reported as having only 1836GB when you put it in your computer.

(capacity is measured in 1000s by one lot and in 1024s by the other. Go figure!).

Still...2.5gb missing is more than a 15% difference.

Why did it go from 14gb, pre-restore to 13.5gb after the restore?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Most reactions

Latest posts