What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Critical iOS 8 News] Do NOT Upgrade to iCloud Drive During iOS 8 Installation!!!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
icloud-drive-optionB.jpg

We have a major warning to share with iOS users. Today is the day that Apple is making iOS 8 available to the public. There will be a number of reasons you will want to get iOS 8, but during the installation it is absolutely critical that you do NOT upgrade to iCloud Drive when the iOS 8 installation prompts you. This is especially important if you also use a Mac as your personal computer.

The reason for this is because iCloud Drive will only sync with devices running iOS 8 or OS X Yosemite (which hasn't been officially released yet). The full official version of Yosemite is expected in the next month or so. We are sure there are several of you who may be trying out the pre-release, but we must reiterate that iCloud Drive is NOT COMPATIBLE with iOS versions 7 and older, and it is NOT COMPATIBLE with OS X 10.9 Mavericks or older.

Additionally, if you mis-click this option, you will not be able to go back and undo this decision. This is why this article is so emphatic. Of course, if you are running the pre-release version of Yosemite, and you are able to upgrade all of your devices to iOS 8, then you can use the iCloud Drive option. You just need to weigh this carefully for your needs.

We have verified this with several sources. Here's a quote with more details from one of them,

But there’s a problem. Actually, there are three problems. Apple hasn’t officially released Yosemite yet, iCloud Drive doesn’t work in 10.9 Mavericks, and upgrading your iCloud account to use iCloud Drive in iOS 8 is a one-way street — once you upgrade, you can’t go back to the old document- and app-specific approach that’s compatible with Mavericks. So when iOS 8 asks you to upgrade to iCloud Drive, tap Not Now.

If you were to enable iCloud Drive, and use it for storing documents, you wouldn’t be able to see those documents on a Mac running Mavericks. Upgrading to iCloud Drive reportedly moves your data to different servers (and probably rearranges it to boot), so I’m guessing that Mavericks simply has no idea where to look for it.

Beyond the basic inability to access iCloud-stored documents on the Mac, this limitation also prevents you from working on iCloud-stored documents on both an iOS device and a Mac. So, if you’re a fan of switching back and forth between Pages on your iPad and on your iMac, you really want to postpone upgrading to iCloud Drive until Yosemite ships. ~ Tidbits

Above is a pic which shows you the precise step in the installation where you need to make this choice. During this step of the iOS 8 upgrade process you will see an option for iCloud Drive. You simply need to select "Not Now." After that, all of our iCloud data will still be accessible and all of your iCloud-enabled apps and content will continue to sync with all your iOS and OS X machines.

Thanks for the tip, @twerppoet!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you for post it where everyone is more likely to see it, and for doing a more thorough job of it.

Despite this, I expect we'll get a lot of help requests, and have to tell them they will need to wait a month and upgrade to Yosemite to fix it. I'm not sure what will happen with Windows. It might not even be an issue, since this is mostly about document storage. But even Windows users would be wise to wait a few days and see what happens.

Of course, real wisdom would be to wait a few days or weeks before upgrading at all. But on upgrade day many of us like to play the fool. I do. :D

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
Thanks again for being the first to share the intel! We are just happy to get the info out there so users won't get stuck.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for post it where everyone is more likely to see it, and for doing a more thorough job of it.

Despite this, I expect we'll get a lot of help requests, and have to tell them they will need to wait a month and upgrade to Yosemite to fix it. I'm not sure what will happen with Windows. It might not even be an issue, since this is mostly about document storage. But even Windows users would be wise to wait a few days and see what happens.

Of course, real wisdom would be to wait a few days or weeks before upgrading at all. But on upgrade day many of us like to play the fool. I do. :D

Before I updated my iPhone, I read this and re-read this 3 times before I did my update.

Thanks so much, Twerppoet for catching this. Really appreciate that! I have sent out emails to my friends about this so they know too. :)

Skimonkey ~

shadow4845

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again for being the first to share the intel! We are just happy to get the info out there so users won't get stuck.

Unfortunately, I was probably one of the iPad air users who upgraded from 7 to OS8. In the settings "iCloud Drive" section has been upgrading for the past several days. I'm was able to backup my iPad Air to to the Icloud. Howver, as stated above, there is a compatibility issue.

Anyway everything else seems to be working just fine.

Shadow4845

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is Yosemite? I upgraded both my ipads to ios8 and I am using the ipad mini since the upgrade and I am very unhappy since the upgrade as my mini is so so slow, and I liked it better before.:( Bad decision on my part, but I am tech challenged.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What is Yosemite? I upgraded both my ipads to ios8 and I am using the ipad mini since the upgrade and I am very unhappy since the upgrade as my mini is so so slow, and I liked it better before.:( Bad decision on my part, but I am tech challenged.
OSX Yosemite is the newest version of the Mac OS and will be publicly released later this month. Many new features of iOS 8 have been designed to work closely with Yosemite, such as Hand off and continuity.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just a heads up for everyone. I downloaded and installed Yosemite on my MacBook Pro last night and the iCloud Drive update works perfectly with my iPad now. Both devices can talk to the documents up there and make edits to them without an issue.

So, what I'm saying is that once you complete the update to Yosemite you can go ahead and update to iCloud drive on your iPad and everything will play nice together.

Nepheler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iphone 4s battery is dying after updating... too bad, time for an upgrade

Most reactions