What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cover or not

wingzfan61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For anyone debating this issue I highly recommend the ivisor screen protector. You literally cant tell its there and is so much better than any zagg or body armor. You can grab them from any at&t store and if you for some reason dont like it you can return it with no questions asked. I sold my ipad 2 for full value ($350) and transferred the visor to my ipad 3 with no issues. If you want a full body, the griffin survivor is bar none the best available.

Rlarson_mn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a Smart Cover for the glass front in addition to a Logitech Ultrathin keyboard cover. Got a slip case to store the whole set of covers. North covers have their use and both are great and do exactly what they are designed to do at least IMHO.

Infinite Jest

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was in the screen protector camp for a while until about 6 months ago. Going from using a plastic protector to the glass is so drastically different IMO that it's worth few hairline scratches after a year or two. When it comes down to it, unless you have any noticeable scratches, it doesn't affect the resale value that much.

idbvideo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting. I had an Iphone 4 for a couple of years before I upgraded to the 5. I gave the 4 to my brother and he commented on how scratch free the glass was. It never had a screen protector on it and I was never careful with it! I just used my shirt sleeves (yeah I know) to clean its face now and again. I do the same with my mini.

In truth these devices are made to take some punishment. Sand will scratch the glass as will keys etc., but in normal use that us careful folks give them, a clean cloth will usually suffice. I even breath on the glass to moisten it to get rid of stubborn finger marks ;-)

kingjust35

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Zagg HD screen protector on my Ipad 4 only because I love to keep all of my devices in mint condition

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
kingjust35 said:
I have the Zagg HD screen protector on my Ipad 4 only because I love to keep all of my devices in mint condition

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Yep, me too!!

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

Houdini5150

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What kind of glass is touch screen made of? My old droid has gorilla glass and its been scratch free. I have a zoogue case and a speck folio case that I plan to switch around. Screen protector? Ehh undecided yet

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Houdini5150 said:
What kind of glass is touch screen made of? My old droid has gorilla glass and its been scratch free. I have a zoogue case and a speck folio case that I plan to switch around. Screen protector? Ehh undecided yet

iPad, iPod, and iPhone screens are made from Gorilla glass.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IMHO if you use a good quality cover/case a screen protector is unnecessary.

In addition I like the feel of the bare glass under my fingers......
Plus, not a single one I've seen that doesn't affect the visual appearance of the retina screen display to some extent.

Aluminosilicate glass has a special mixture of materials like silicon dioxide, aluminum and oxygen that creates a particularly resilient type of glass. When properly prepared, this glass is scratch-resistant and difficult to break or shatter. Consumer electronics ranging from televisions to smartphones rely on aluminosilicate glass to withstand daily use.

If it's actual "Gorilla Glass" remains to be seen...

The basic answer is that only people at Apple and Corning know for sure if Gorilla Glass is part of the iPad line of products. While Corning lists several manufacturers as clients on its Gorilla Glass Web page, you won't find Apple among the names. But that doesn't mean Corning and Apple aren't doing business together.
Corning only shares information about its clients with their permission. Should a company wish to keep its components secret -- a practice for which Apple is famous -- Corning won't list its name on the Gorilla Glass site. Just because Apple is nowhere to be found on the site isn't enough evidence to draw conclusions.
Asking Apple or Corning doesn't seem to help, either. Inquiries tend to be ignored or, if you're lucky, answered with a simple "no comment." Getting an official, straight answer from either party appears to be a dead end.
To complicate matters, there are other companies that produce aluminosilicate glass. One candidate is a Japanese company called Asahi Glass Company. In 2011, Asahi introduced a new product it calls Dragontrail Glass. Said to be six times stronger than standard glass, this product resists scratches and breaks in a way similar to Corning's product.
Many of the parts you'll find in Apple products come from Asia. Could the glass for iPad screens be among them? Since neither Apple nor Corning will own up, the matter remains unresolved for the rest of us. We can only draw conclusions on circumstantial evidence while we wait for someone in charge to spill the beans.

HowStuffWorks "Is gorilla glass used in an iPad?"

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
buerkletucson said:
IMHO if you use a good quality cover/case a screen protector is unnecessary.

In addition I like the feel of the bare glass under my fingers......
Plus, not a single one I've seen that doesn't affect the visual appearance of the retina screen display to some extent.

If it's actual "Gorilla Glass" remains to be seen...

HowStuffWorks "Is gorilla glass used in an iPad?"

Have you seen this news report? http://m.9to5mac.com/9to5mac/#!/ent...ss-on-iphone-means,50b81198d7fc7b5670801c59/1 Apple has acknowledged the use of Gorilla glass.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
buerkletucson said:
Sorry but your link doesn't work.........
I've heard they admittted to Gorilla glass on the iPhone but not the iPad.

I'd like to read your link if it says so.
Thanks....

I just tried it, it works. I did it from the app, though. I just tried the link from the website version of the forum, the link worked there as well.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just tried it, it works. I did it from the app, though. I just tried the link from the website version of the forum, the link worked there as well.

The link works for me. I'm using iPad 4 and Safari.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score

OK, link working now but wasn't when I tried it earlier....

But as I said I see nowhere in the article that states the Gorilla glass is used on the iPad......only the iPhone is verified.

The article I posted above seems to be validated.......so far, until we hear more.

Most reactions