What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could you share some of the useful applications for ipad?

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here are the ones I've been using the most so far (got my iPad 2 last Tuesday)

Dropbox for getting files on the device easily.

Goodreader for reading and marking up PDFs

Atomic Web Browser--I love tabbed browsing and the private browsing feature

Evernote for organzing my notes from meetings etc. ( I take them in the Notes app) and synching them to all my PCs.

Kindle App for e-books (I have a Kindle and still mainly read on it) so prefer this to iBooks or the others as it's were my books are).

Netflix

DirecTV if you're a member. Fast way to check the guide, set up recordings if you have a DVR etc.

News Apps: NY Times (going to $20 a month--but Top News section will remain free), USA Today, Politico, NPR, BBC, CNN, Zite, Pulse, The Hill

Sports Apps: ESPN ScoreCenter, NBA Courtside Game Time, March Madness

Weather.com app

Games: Plants vs. Zombies, Angry Birds, Words With Friends, whatever free solitaire app you like best etc.

Skype--iPhone app only, but still looks good. Essential for me as I don't have any friends/family on facetime currently as like me they're all PC people.

Marvel and Comixology for comics

Zinio for magazines

Pandora for streaming music

OpenTable for making restaurant reservations if you live in a city

Epicurious--great free cookbook

Backgrounds--huge collection of wallpapers

Dictionary.com

ksmweb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sadly not, but I have frash.
Otherwise, for those times you need flash, try swifter. It's free and it does the trick

normanj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently downloaded a bunch of new apps. My favorite of the new ones is the NPR one .. You not only get shows on demand, but you can get the latest hourly update, and live streaming of any of their stations. I'm also playing with the CNN and several science related apps.

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Vocali05 said:
I hear the new ipad will have imovie and garage band!!!

Can anyone tell of their experiences with GarageBand? I am sure it is a fabulous & fun app and all that but can you learn anything about playing music on it? I've read conflicting things about this googling. I cannot play any instruments at all. I will probably still purchase it eventually for the fun factor anyway but I'd like to hear if it has a practically for someone like me.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
totemynote said:
Can anyone tell of their experiences with GarageBand? I am sure it is a fabulous & fun app and all that but can you learn anything about playing music on it? I've read conflicting things about this googling. I cannot play any instruments at all. I will probably still purchase it eventually for the fun factor anyway but I'd like to hear if it has a practically for someone like me.

I'm in the same boat as you but GarageBand is so well crafted that I'm sure you will enjoy the tinkering nature of it. The smart guitar is awesome and here is a huge choice of keyboards for differing sounds. I just need to learn more on how to construct a song now and see how far I get with it.

iPad Crazy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zite allows you to make your own custom magazine. It's great if you like the concept of personalized content.
The user interface is also well done.

DLCrouch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Overdrive - let's you check out and read ebooks from participating libraries.

lysolqn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
inTunes Radio - seriously one of the best apps out there and it's free(!). Gives you access to live streaming radio around the world and you can have it on in the background while you otherwise use your iPad. Have yet to recommend it to someone who doesn't think it's a winner.

iPad Crazy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
inTunes Radio? It didn't come up when I did a search. Are you sure that's the name ? Thanks.

Martlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad Crazy said:
inTunes Radio? It didn't come up when I did a search. Are you sure that's the name ? Thanks.

I think he means Tunein Radio. Great app.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - TuneIn has to be the best app - in the UK it's not totally free, but it's less than $1 and has so many really neat features. Plus you can stream audio via 3G, so it's great for listening to in the car.

Tim
Scotland

MadChef

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My favorites are

Flipboard : I tried Zite but it did not impress me at all.

Kindle

Zap To It

Zinio

Huffington Post

App Advice: This is the first App I use almost every day and through out the day. It is updated frequently.

ABC Player: I get caught up with shows I've missed.

Atomic Browser

Pandora

AppleAlias3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iBooks, ABC player, friendly for Facebook, twitterific for twitter, pages and keynote, time Warner cable viewer (if u have that), find my iphone, tune in radio, FLUD, macworld, dc comics, penultimate, and dozens more.

There is literally an app for everything. And most of those I listed are free. Some of the best apps are free. Don't forget about gaming! Good luck!

Most reactions

Latest posts