What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could Apple launch an iPad-laptop hybrid?

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
keyboard-ipad.jpg

Some of us are still hoping that Apple would release a MacBook-iPad hybrid device, to combine the versatility of a touchscreen and the productivity of a keyboard. When asked about this, during Apple's second quarter earnings call back in 2012, Apple CEO Tim Cook knocked the idea, saying the following:

"Anything can be forced to converge, but the problem is that products are about tradeoffs, and you begin to make tradeoffs to the point where what you have left doesn't please anyone. You can converge a toaster and a refrigerator, but those things are probably not going be pleasing to the user.â€

Now, more than one year later, things have changed and perhaps a hybrid iPad could be indeed on the cards behind closed door at Cupertino. The biggest concern for Apple comes from Mac sales, as the company saw a sharp drop (11%) as global PC shipments fell again in the third quarter, according to IDC. This means that consumers are increasingly looking toward tablets to replace personal computers and while Apple might benefit from this with the iPad, it is losing with the Mac. Thus, a beefed-up, hybrid iPad could be the right solution.

Besides this reason, Michael Endler with InformationWeek has 7 more signs that suggest one such device is on the way, or at least, it makes sense to have on in the market.
  • Apple has filed many patents related to an eventual laptop-tablet convergence
  • Reliable sources have claimed a 13-inch iPad is in the works
  • Apple is reportedly working on a new power adapter for mobile device that will be placed between iPads and MacBooks
  • The A7 processor and 64-bit architecture will bring desktop-class power to the iPad; allowing for PC-style apps to work flawlessly
  • The revamped iWork suite is actually meant for a productivity-minded iPad
  • There is a market for an iPad hybrid as information workers are interested in using tablets with keyboards
What do you think about this? Does a hybrid iPad makes sense to you?

Source: InformationWeek

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the Logitech thin keyboard as in your avatar and plan to get something similar for the iPad 5. Sure, a hybrid will have takers but all Apple needs to do is produce very slim keyboard cases that integrate even better with iPads.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I'd take a look - my travel 'computer' is no longer a laptop but an iPad w/ the Apple BT keyboard (KB) - but it would have to be not much larger than an iPad - maybe a slightly bigger screen and obviously a little thicker to accommodate a physical KB - I sometimes find that using the iPad w/ its 'touchscreen' and a KB awkward, so that would be a consideration for me, i.e. how to better integrate the combination? Another important issue is whether and 'how' the OSs would 'merge' - would iOS & OS X continue to evolve separately w/ a new intermediate OS or would the two be combined and operate on all Apple devices? Just some thoughts - Dave :)

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not sure how a hybrid fits into apples lineup though? The MacBook Air systems are super lightweight and have terrific battery performance which is what users need out of a portable system. A hybrid tablet is really just another name for a tablet with a detachable keyboard, isn't it? And, I don't see how a touch screen fits into a workhorse hybrid either. I dunno, nothing I'd be into but that's just me.

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Personally i'm happy with the iPad's soft keyboard... but I really wish Apple would add cursor arrow keys, end, delete keys, etc. There's plenty of room in that top bar containing the "prev/next" buttons. I struggle to understand why those keys aren't included. They're a must for power users who prefer to not carry round a bluetooth keyboard or fatter built-in-keyboard case.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Personally i'm happy with the iPad's soft keyboard... but I really wish Apple would add cursor arrow keys, end, delete keys, etc. There's plenty of room in that top bar containing the "prev/next" buttons. I struggle to understand why those keys aren't included. They're a must for power users who prefer to not carry round a bluetooth keyboard or fatter built-in-keyboard case.

Mega dittos. If they just tidied up the existing keyboard we'd be all set!

Most reactions

Latest posts