What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Has No Plans for Converged iPad and Mac, According to Tim Cook

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad pro and Mac convergence.JPG

In an interview with the Irish Independent, via MacRumors, Tim Cook has been talking about the possibility of a “converged Mac and iPad,” but don’t get too excited if that’s something that you’ve been waiting for, as he has very much thrown cold water over the whole idea.

“We feel strongly that customers are not really looking for a converged Mac and iPad,” said Cook. “Because what that would wind up doing, or what we’re worried would happen, is that neither experience would be as good as the customer wants. So we want to make the best tablet in the world and the best Mac in the world.”

Talk of a converged iPad and Mac has presumably arisen following the release of the iPad Pro, which sees iOS and OS X getting closer and closer, which Cook acknowledges.

“It’s true that the difference between the X86 [personal computer] and the A-series [Apple iPad architecture] is much less than it’s ever been. That said, what we’ve tried to do is to recognize that people use both iOS and Mac devices. So we’ve taken certain features and made them more seamless across the devices.”

Source: Tim Cook Says Apple Won't Create 'Converged' Mac and iPad

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not surprised. I really don't think they need to do this. I still prefer a device to have ONE purpose and to perform its task as best it can. Just don't like the idea of converging all of these devices. IMO, they work better as stand alone products.

Most reactions

Latest posts