What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Copying apps/songs from a different library

Shamygirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm impatiently waiting for my ipad2 to arrive, but I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to sync everything I want to it.

I currently use iTunes for my ipod touch and my fiancé uses his own iTunes account on a separate computer for his ipad.

So here's my question: I want to take all of my songs/photos/videos from my library and then take select songs/apps from his library. I always get into the part where it asks me if I want to erase what's on my device and replace it with the current itunes library (would be no).

I would greatly appreciate the answer so I can do this right the first time--- and then have the apps and songs I want on my iTunes on my computer.

Thanks!

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The best way would be to grab the select tracks and Apps you want, put them on your computer, then have him authorize your computer with his iTunes Account. That should let you sync the content you want. However any updates to Apps from his account will require his password.

Apple allows you to authorize up to 5 computers at a time.

OP
S

Shamygirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So what's the easiest way to get the select songs and apps on my computer? I always find a way to mess this up! Thanks for your response!

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FMI (for my information) Are we talking Macs or Windows?

• insert a USB flash drive or external hard disk into your fiancé's computer.

• drag and drop the content you want from iTunes into the flash drive (this should copy it).

• repeat with all content you want, multiple items can be selected and dragged at once

• safely remove flash drive

• insert drive into your computer

• check iTunes Settings/Preferences > Advanced tab and make sure the "Copy Files to iTunes Media folder" is checked

• drag the content from the flash drive to your iTunes window, which should begin copying

• in the menu bar of iTunes go to Store > "Authorizer This Computer"

• have your fiancé enter his iTunes ID

• Bing (not the search engine), you're done! Sync what you want :D .

OP
S

Shamygirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm on windows.. Thank you for the advice, very helpful!

Most reactions

Latest posts