What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Copying a film from DVD to iPad2

BrendanChandler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just bought a film on DVD.
How can I copy it to my iPad in a format that the iPad can play?

Brendan

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Use handbrake, it's free software for the PC/Mac that has presets for the iPad. Then drag the resulting file into iTunes and sync your iPad.

The Archangel

OP
B

BrendanChandler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Use handbrake, it's free software for the PC/Mac that has presets for the iPad. Then drag the resulting file into iTunes and sync your iPad.

The Archangel

I tried that, and selected 'iPad'.
It process the film and produced a 5.5Gb 'm4v' file which I believe is a format that Windows Media player cannot open.

I then dragged and dropped the file into iTunes and synced my laptop.
I used iTunes to play it on my computer and the screen was all screwed-up.

I looked for it on the iPad but couldn't find it.

I connected the iPad and dragged and dropped the file from the film section of Library
When I tried to play it there, it also had a screwed up screen with rectangles of colour.

My guess is that the m4v file is screwed up.
Should I try a different program to make the m4v file and if so, any ideas which?

Brendan

kies99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can never get Handbrake to work by itself. I use DVD Shrink to rip the video file from the DVD. I then use Handbrake to process that ripped video file and it works fine for me.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
kies99 said:
I can never get Handbrake to work by itself. I use DVD Shrink to rip the video file from the DVD. I then use Handbrake to process that ripped video file and it works fine for me.

This is a better way to do it. The encoding time is reduced greatly if the DVD is on the HD.

OP, Sounds like the DVD in question is copy protected.

OP
B

BrendanChandler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
This is a better way to do it. The encoding time is reduced greatly if the DVD is on the HD.

OP, Sounds like the DVD in question is copy protected.

And it worked perfectly and produced a much smaller file which runs on iPad.

It all worked so well that I decided to do another of the DVD's that I own.
This was a Swedish DVD. When I ran it on my PC it worked perfectly in English but when I converted it as above and ran it on my iPad2 it ran in Swedish.
How can I get it to run in English on the iPad.

Thanks guys.

Brendan

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
BrendanChandler said:
And it worked perfectly and produced a much smaller file which runs on iPad.

It all worked so well that I decided to do another of the DVD's that I own.
This was a Swedish DVD. When I ran it on my PC it worked perfectly in English but when I converted it as above and ran it on my iPad2 it ran in Swedish.
How can I get it to run in English on the iPad.

Thanks guys.

Brendan

Either in DVD shrink or Handbrake you need to select the right language (for DVDs with multiple audio tracks/languages). More likely in Handbrake when setting up the job.

debradaley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you need video converter which can convert files into the ipad format i have been using a tool that convert videos into ipad videos with good quality as well the name of the converter is bialosoft i guess you can google it!

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
Either in DVD shrink or Handbrake you need to select the right language (for DVDs with multiple audio tracks/languages). More likely in Handbrake when setting up the job.

Just to update, add the file to Handbrake, select the iPad preset. Under Output Settings, click the Audio tab and select the correct audio/language from the pull-down. Obviously in your case Handbrake defaulted to the Swedish version because it was the primary language on the disc.

Most reactions