What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

copy dvd to ipad- not digital?

OP
M

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK, Im keeping at this!
this is where I am at;
i downloaded following programs;
Dropbox
VLC
Handbrake

then... I used VLc to rip a DVD to the pc & saved it in a file
next I set handbrake to convert it to ipad format - MP4?
Next: I clicked " send to" - dropbox, the file now appears in dropbox ok (as .m4v file)
BTW, all this took several hours!
BUT.... when I open Dropbox on ipad ( which I also downloaded to) I see a completely different screen to what I see on my pc & cant see the video file. Have I downloaded a different version of dropbox or something? I was under the (mis)apprehension that anything I sent to dropbox would be saved on their website & therefore could be accessed anywhere anytime by any other machine?
Jeez, Apple really like to make things so difficult for folk dont they! i bet 90% of ipad owners will NEVER be able to use most of its functions!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know why you keep putting this on apple and the ipad. Dropbox is not an apple program and it works differently on a mobile device and on a pc. Anything you copy to Dropbox automatically is download to any pc that you have it installed on, but it only comes down to a mobile device if you force it to. And Dropbox on a PC is not the same as the Dropbox app on a tablet. It is simply a folder on the PC (assuming you don't go to the website), but it is an app on the iPad (and on any other tablet).

And of course it took several hours.....if you have a slow upload connection to the net then it will take forever to send the file to Dropbox and then wait for it to come down again to a tablet. The better way would have been to move it directly to the iPad and skip the Dropbox altogether unless you have really fast upload speeds from your ISP.

None of this is an apple issue.

If you want a pc, get a MS surface device. It's a PC tablet form and will work in a way that you might be more familiar with.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
BTW, once you get the mp4 file from vlc, you can send that file directly to iPad. There is no need to run it through Handbrake as iPad plays h.264 mp4s directly.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
BTW, once you get the mp4 file from vlc, you can send that file directly to iPad. There is no need to run it through Handbrake as iPad plays h.264 mp4s directly.

Yes, drag the file into iTunes on your computer, the drag it from iTunes into your iPad(in iTunes) then you can play it in the video app that comes with the iPad

OP
M

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, I've managed to get it into iTunes but when I try to sync it to ipad I get a message telling me I am not authorised to do this on this computer!

BTW, if I hadn't been given the ipad as an Xmas pressie I can assure you I WOULD get a windows tablet like you suggested! unfortunately I am stuck with this thing & so am attempting to find some uses for it! So I'm sorry about asking so many questions about seemingly simple things ( simple to you guys!)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, I've managed to get it into iTunes but when I try to sync it to ipad I get a message telling me I am not authorised to do this on this computer!

BTW, if I hadn't been given the ipad as an Xmas pressie I can assure you I WOULD get a windows tablet like you suggested! unfortunately I am stuck with this thing & so am attempting to find some uses for it! So I'm sorry about asking so many questions about seemingly simple things ( simple to you guys!)

Hmm....is that the same computer you used to setup your iPad? Do you back up to that PC? I only use one PC to interface with my iPad...it seems to work best that way. The last time I connected my iPad to another computer and opened iTunes it wreaked havoc on my iPad. It's ok until you open iTunes on a strange computer. Then, BANG!

Most reactions

Latest posts