What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Converted DVDs and iTunes Movies

LeeB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still in my (apparent) never-ending search for a simple conversion, straight from DVD to iTunes. Some of the programs I've tried do a real decent job of getting a movie fit for iPod or iTouch, but they don't do so well on iPad's larger screen.

I tried converting into an Apple TV format - but iTunes said it wasn't for iPad.

So I tried converting into Mpeg4, which plays *beautifully* in iTunes, but it says it's not for iPad.

I thought Mpeg4 *was* the iPad's format. Why will it play in iTunes, but tell me that it's not for iPad when I try to sync it? Any suggestions of how to make it "acceptable"?

katieB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been converting to .m4v which plays in iTunes and iPad. Unfortunately, the program I am using (Handbrake) has not yielded very good quality in any of the settings I tried. What program did you use?

-K

OP
L

LeeB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been converting to .m4v which plays in iTunes and iPad. Unfortunately, the program I am using (Handbrake) has not yielded very good quality in any of the settings I tried. What program did you use?

-K

I tried some of the freebies, but was unimpressed with the quality. They may have been OK on an iPhone or an iTouch with their smaller screens, but they were unacceptable for the larger screen of iPad.

I've been fooling around with two of the five programs I purchased (I've been looking for SIMPLE comversion). 123CopyDVD Gold would be perfect, except it doesn't have a setting for iPad; the conversion for iTouch isn't so good on the iPad. It has an option for Mpeg4 which is GREAT. It plays in iTunes, but says it isn't for iPad, so iTunes won't sync it. Same for an Apple TV conversion. If they would issue an option for iPad, it would be really, really good - especially since it has options for many types of conversion.

However, because I'm really only interested in converting for iPad, the other program is by Cucusoft called DVD to iPad - and that's all it does. It has a beautiful conversion output and is really simple, BUT (and there's always a "but", isn't there ;)?) it takes larger/longer movies and splits them into smaller files. For instance, it took one VERY popular Sci-Fi/Adventure movie and broke it into 3 pieces/installments, which I find unacceptable. Shorter movies (this one's 2 hrs 40+ minutes long) will convert flawlessly.

However, if Cucusoft can't (or won't) fix the flaw that breaks the conversion into pieces, it's a problem. But the conversion for shorter movies is great.

Or, 123CopyDVD needs to add iPad (specifically) to their repertoire of available conversions.

OR - someone needs to tell me why a Mpeg4 file that plays in iTunes is not acceptable for syncing purposes to iPad.

Picky, aren't I? ;)

OP
L

LeeB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use HandBrake to rip DVD's to iTunes and my iPad.

From what I understand, HandBrake is a 2-step process, yes? The ones I've been looking at (and for) are kinda like "DVD Conversion for Dummies": they're single step "rip and convert" programs. I don't have nearly the time I'd like to have to mess with program evaluation; one of the problems is the time it takes to convert them, anywhere from 1.5 to 3 hours.

Many here use HandBrake, and it's free. I should try it, but I need "ease and convenience", not techie-overload. How would you describe the ease of use for HandBrake?

katieB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, LeeB

I got my iPad specifically so I could transfer my DVD files onto it since I float back and forth between 2 cities for school. Being able to ditch the physical DVDs is a blessing! Believe me, I feel your pain with iTunes not adding a feature to import movies straight from DVD. (Given that you can import music straight from CD, and given that iPad was largely hyped for movies.)

An-y-way, I have to say I found the process with HandBrake to be pretty fast if the files are on the hard drive. I use the version for PC and it's taking about 3hrs for a 1 1/2hr movie. You CAN do the conversion straight from DVD, but it can take quite a bit longer. I like also that it has a feature to set up "Chapters" for playback, while still keeping the movie all in one file. (So you can jump around during playback just like you would on the real DVD.) You can also choose to leave out sections you don't want.

I tried Format Factory and Xilisoft as well and found them to be more intimidating. (Format Factory has a setting for iPad, BUT it outputs files as ".mp4" and you know how that story ends.) HandBrake's user interface is alot more straightforward to me. There's supposed to be a new setting for output to iPad, which you have to download, but I could not get it imported successfully :p. So for now I've just been using the setting for output to AppleTV and am happy with that.

Here is the tutorial link I used to get started:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-7TjpHjU5w"]YouTube - Convert Video Files to Sync With iPad[/ame]

Final note, I did have one DVD which was not the best quality to start with and it took some tinkering around to get it looking nice. But Handbrake did get the job done where others just failed. So I'm sticking with it for now. Also been converting some ".mpg's" to ".m4v" and it is really quick with those. Hope this helps.

Good Luck! ;)
-K

OP
L

LeeB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Just for grins and giggles, I'll have to look into that. However, I spent my weekend evaluating different programs for purchase, including a lot of the ones mentioned here on the forum. I finally laid down the $$ for a program from Wondershare, DVD to iPad. I has 3 types of iPad conversion, and I'll admit to ignorance of what the differences are. But I went for the first one, which outputs .mpeg4 ... but it *works*! It was designed for iPad, not iTouch or iPad, so the file is the right size ... no pixelating when expanded to iPad. I still haven't figured out how to file it directly into the iTunes movie directory (so it will be backed up without having to specify other files), but I can drop it into iTunes and have it work.

The output is crisp, clean, and fast. I did my favorite 2 hr. 40 min. movie in a little over 35 minutes on my laptop. The shadows and dark places are black, not "chunky". Granted, I don't think it's as sharp as watching on the original DVD, but it's pretty darn close.

This is important to me. In another thread, I explained that the reason I even have an iPad is because the boss's 10 year old daughter wanted one, so he figured HE had to have one, but being technologically challenged, he realized *I* had to have one to show him how to use theirs. And they want to watch movies on trips. So, I HAD to figure out how to get them onto the iPad for them. It's not exactly a "personal challenge": it became part of my job description :eek:. Please consider that I'm not IT; all I know about this stuff is what I've taught myself. I'm almost 62, so it's not like I grew up with all this techie stuff like most of the younger folk.

I'll check out your tutorial, and Handbrake. A lot of folks use it. But it seems that first, I'd have to copy the DVD to a folder on my hard drive, and then I'll have to convert it with Handbrake, and it seems like it takes a long time. But, it's popular, so there must be a reason.

fredz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what about copy protection?

I tried using handbrake to convert a commercial DVD movie for my iPad. It fails to read the DVD and I think that this is due to the copy protection. Here is part of the log file:

Opening I:\VIDEO_TS...
[21:14:40] hb_scan: path=I:\VIDEO_TS, title_index=0
[21:14:40] scan: trying to open with libdvdread
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 4.1.3
libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
libdvdread: Could not open input: Permission denied
libdvdread: Can't open I: for reading
libdvdread: Device (null) inaccessible, CSS authentication not available.
NAME OPEN FAILED
libdvdnav: Unable to find home directorylibdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00f60000. Regions: 1 4

I'm not going to distribute or sell the converted video, just use it myself on my iPad. Can anyone tell me how to get past this?

OP
L

LeeB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Copy protection is not a problem with the commercial programs; that's one of the things they're designed to do.

But that doesn't answer your Handbrake problem - and I can't answer that, so I'll leave it for someone else to handle. Good luck ... it's all very frustrating, isn't it?

katieB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not going to distribute or sell the converted video, just use it myself on my iPad. Can anyone tell me how to get past this?

So it may be copy protected and alot of dedicated ripping programs can handle that. The 2 I have experience with are DVDFab and DVD Decrypter. Both free to try.

-KB

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team

So it may be copy protected and alot of dedicated ripping programs can handle that. The 2 I have experience with are DVDFab and DVD Decrypter. Both free to try.

-KB
all DVD's have copy protection.

fredz
Just go into option and under the advanced tab check the box to disable LibDVDNav.

fredz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried disabling LibDVDNav and this is what I get:

Opening I:\VIDEO_TS...
[14:51:49] hb_scan: path=I:\VIDEO_TS, title_index=0
[14:51:49] scan: trying to open with libdvdread

iJeff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as getting them to sync with the iPad - I had this same issue. The iPhone Explorer allowed me to drag it into the DCIM folder, which then let me play it via iFile in the standard video player. I ended up buying the Cucusoft DVD to iPad cause it was the only method that seemed to work with any DVD I fed into it. It does break them into two files (which I would prefer did not happen), but I can live with it.

StrongPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For this task I think you need to copy your DVD with a tool that can copy DVD to your PC and your devices, for example, 1StepDVDCopy, and to convert from iTunes you can use a converting tool, for example, Soundtaxi.

Most reactions

Latest posts