What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps for converting instructional type DVDs?

KenB123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I originally posted in Ipad general Discussions, but did not get anything. I am just trying to understand and find an application that can convert a DVD with various titles into a single video file playable on the iPad. Can the video menus be retained and used on the iPad? Etc. Thanks.

I have the new iPad (iPad-3). Using Handbrake, I have successfully converted DVD/BluRay .iso files to .m4v format. My knowledge of Handbrake thus far is that when selecting 'iPad' as the output format, the entire DVD does not get converted. Instead, it picks the largest subfile in the .iso (assumed to be the actual movie) and converts that. I don't have a problem with that for movies as this omits stuff like the trailers and special features.

What I am concerned about though is regarding instructional type DVDs (e.g., learn to play guitar). When Handbrake does the conversion, it does the same and picks the largest subfile which is only a part of the overall instructional DVD chapters/titles. Checking the Handbrake forums, it appears that I would have to convert each subfile (title) separately and uniquely name the outputs as separate files for transfer to the iPad. Doable, but takes time and clutters the Video folder on the iPad (i.e., multiple files just to view one instructional DVD).

What I am seeking is any other conversion application that can convert the entire DVD as one output file (i.e., include all the DVD content, with the various chapters/titles). Is there any other application that will do this? Would the iPad be able to play the converted file in regards to chapter selections and such?​

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Are you trying to have the DVD menus in your mp4 video? If so, it is impossible to do. Handbrake can create a movie with chapters included, but you won't have the menus available. This is not a Handbrake limitation but a format limitation.

A DVD structure is composed of Titles and Chapters. One Title can be splitted into Chapters. Think of those DVDs that have multiples movies or episodes. Each movie/episode is a Title.

To have chapters using Handbrake, you have to go in the settings of the selected output settings (Normal, iPad, iPhone, etc...), one of the tab is for selected the chapters. If I remember well, it is disable by default.

To create a single file containing all titles, you will need a more advance tools and do some black magic voodoo to concatenate those titles together. VLC could be your friend to do that.

VicoPad addict!

OP
K

KenB123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks DrHouse. With Handbrake I do have it set to generate the Chapters within a Title. Therefore if I watch a movie or music concert, I can easily select a desired Chapter, or skip through to a desired Chapter.

With instructional videos, many appear to have topics separated (unfortunately for my transfer purposes) as Titles. For the original DVD, it makes sense because you can go to the main DVD menu and select a specific lesson of your choice. This is all captuired in an .iso image. Too bad .iso is not supported.

I will look into VLC and see what it does.

Most reactions