What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Convert any text to epub for Apples iBooks app!

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
I was a little dissapointed when I didnt find Dan Browns The Lost Symbol in the iBook Store, I have it in pdf format on my laptop and in my quest to get it over to my iPad I found Calibre!

Calibre ebook converter is a free program for both Windows and Mac OS X and can be be downloaded for free from Calibre ebook.com. It converted The Lost Symbol in a lttle over 3 minutes. When the conversion was done I simply clicked Add to Library in iTunes 9.1 and there it was in my Books. The only catch seems to be that the cover gets a smaller format on your bookshelf on the iPad, but hey, I can live with that!

screenshot20100407at335.png

photohy.jpg

Happy reading!

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah Max i also use Calibre it’s really useful software i use for collect book in the Gutenberg project and from other place .. and he save it in their server so after i collect all my book in the iPad for read i use Stanza and everything work just fine …

Concerning the wifi i didn’t get any trouble at all

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sigil is a nice complement to Calibre. Sigil is a e-book authoring app. Depending on the original format, Calibre sometime doesn't do a real good job converting to ePub. That's when I use Sigil. It takes a lot more time, but some books are worth it.

Max, I don't know why your book cover doesn't match the store bought ones. All of the books below (except Winnie the Poo ;)) were created using Calibre and Sigil. Is it possible that the image you are using for the cover has a white border?
ibook.png

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can change the art from iTunes just you do with music.

I've been using calibre for years to convert books for my Sony reader. It is a wonderful tool that has joined me in my transition to the iPad.

-Greg

OP
Max

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
I tried to switch in itunes info section, it worked for itunes, but still doesnt change the cover on the ipad! Ill give Sigil a try! Thanks for the tip! :)

Last edited:

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[/B]

I tried to switch in itunes info section, it worked for itunes, but still doesnt change the cover on the ipad! Ill give Sigil a try! Thanks for the tip! :)

It works for me. You might want to delete and re-add the book.

-Greg

Last edited:
OP
Max

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
Im an idiot, the cover is in the original pdf file...lol
Tried out sigil, but couldnt get it to work. Ill look more into it at a later point.

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or, just read that pdf with goodreads. I've converted pdfs using a variety of programs over the years and the problem is that often times you end up with a garbled mess of text. The beauty of ipad is you can read the pdfs great in their current state no need to convert.

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thats great for HTML and Text, but elaborate PDF docs with tables and images get all messed up or removed or doesn't convert at all.

Any one suggest a good epub converter for PDF's such as service manuals with linkable items within included? The linking doesn't have to work, but at least the search function.

DNAML was one I found while looking about on the net a short while, but $149 is steep when I'm not even sure the outcome will be correct and I wasn't able to find a true MAC working version.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Max, Sigil isn't a converter. It's an editor/creator.

I only use it when I know I am going to end up reading the book a few times and I want it to look its best. I basically copy the text from the PDF, txt file, html, etc. into Sigil and then I edit it.

I edited The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings with Sigil because I wanted to insert the Alan Lee's artwork (like I have in my hardcover editions). Below is a sample of the artwork. BTW, it looks great on the iPad's screen :).
lotr.png

ncbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Changing Cover

I was a little dissapointed when I didnt find Dan Browns The Lost Symbol in the iBook Store, I have it in pdf format on my laptop and in my quest to get it over to my iPad I found Calibre!

Calibre ebook converter is a free program for both Windows and Mac OS X and can be be downloaded for free from Calibre ebook.com. It converted The Lost Symbol in a lttle over 3 minutes. When the conversion was done I simply clicked Add to Library in iTunes 9.1 and there it was in my Books. The only catch seems to be that the cover gets a smaller format on your bookshelf on the iPad, but hey, I can live with that!

screenshot20100407at335.png

photohy.jpg

Happy reading!

When converting in Calibre click on "Edit Meta information" and you can change the cover.

NCbrew

Spikey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just tried this program and it works great. Now I am wondering what settings you guys are using? Under conversion page setup, it dosen't have a setting for Ipad so do you just use the default???

thanks a bunch
Spikey

Most reactions

Latest posts