What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

connecting iPad to projector

debs01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This has probably been asked a million times, but I'm not using the right search terms.

I am a teacher. I have an iPad 2, an iPhone4GS and a Windows computer/projector.

Is there something bluetooth that I can purchase to connect to my computer so that I can bluetooth my iPad to my computer and into the projector and therefore move around the room with my iPad? The computer and projector are not bluetooth.

Is there a better, different, easier, more difficult way to me to project my iPad (through the computer . .or not) and not be wired and/or standing right next to the computer. The projector is mounted to the ceiling and I can't reach it directly.

I understand, not quite why, but that apple TV does not work on our school district wireless system.

Thanks!
Debbie

D

Deleted member 247820

Hi Debs01.

If your PC is a laptop it probably has already installed a Bluetooth adapter.
If not you can buy a USB Bluetooth adapter and just plug it in.
Generally Windows finds it and installs the driver.
However you will have trouble convincing the iPad to "pair" with it.
It will "pair with a bit of luck.
However I have not been able to transfer any data via bluetooth as the iPad will still not accept the connection.
All it does is give a message:
"Do you want iPad to forget this device".

Better tech people than me may get a better result.
I hope you do and if you do, please explain.

Kricke

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi Debbie,

as I understand what you want to achieve - to mirror your iPad or present material on/from your iPad - the best and in my opinion optimal solution is to use the mentioned Apple TV.
As the Apple TV you have does not work with your school district wireless system my next step would be to setup my own wireless system (a portable one) and test the setting - iPad - Apple TV and projector.

There are several device on the market which will set up a wireless net. Of course, they require an additional investment of money and time. For short presentations - up to 3 hours I use Airstash (amazon link) with the additional benefit that I can store files on its internal SD card.
For all day trainings I use a pocket wireless route like this one (amazon link).

Both set up a wireless system which then connects to both the Apple TV and the iPad. The Apple TV connects via cable to the projector. In case your projector is not equipped with HDMI you need to convert the HDMI from Apple TV to VGA. And of course there is a device for it. I use this one. (amazon link)

All in all - it works perfectly for me but you need to be ready to invest money.

Hope this helps a bit.

Knut from good old Germany.

D

Deleted member 247820

Hi Debbie.

All good advice there from Kricke.

But my plan B would be get an ell cheapo laptop with windows OS.
Is that not how it is already set up?

Kricke

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi Debbie.

All good advice there from Kricke.

But my plan B would be get an ell cheapo laptop with windows OS.
Is that not how it is already set up?

Yes, that's Debbie's setup, as far as I can read it.
Except that there seems to be a need or wish to move around and to use the new technology, which I strictly and vehemmently support.
Otherwise PC with Windows and projector make quite good a team. I would agree with you on your plan B.

Knut

peterdowning

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure if you are connecting iPad to computer via Wifi? Maybe not as you are considering Bluetooth.

If you are able connect via Wifi, what about keeping your current PC/projector set up and just control it via a VNC app?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
debs01

debs01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok…not so new at playing on my iPad, just new at making it useful for teaching. Don't know for certain what a vnc is but it almost reads like Remote Desktop. I have that working.

Maybe I didn't explain it well. I very simply want to project my iPad on the projector. Because the computer is the only thing connected to the projector, mounted on the ceiling, I figured I'd have to go through the computer. It's not wireless and its not Bluetooth. I'll buy what I need, within reason.

Is there an app I could put on my phone to control my iPad? Then I could leave the iPad connected to the computer and walk around with my phone.

Thanks for your input. Please let there be an easy answer. :)

ssarmazi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need 3 things to make this happen: the right O/S on your computer, windows software called AppServer, and wifi in the room.

1) Your laptop needs to be running Vista or Windows 7. Won't work with XP.
2) You need to buy AppServer - google it, you'll find it no problem. It's $12 for teachers from what I see.
3) You need to have wifi to connect both your iPad and your computer to. If there's on in the room, great. If not, use the personal hotspot on your iPhone.

Then, you connect both the iPad and the computer to the same wifi network, double-tap on the iPad's home button, swipe to the right, and you'll see the AirPlay icon show up - choose your computer from that icon, set mirroring=On, and your iPad will now transmit to your computer screen. And since your computer is connected to the projector, the iPad screen will now appear on your screen.

Not simple (at least the way I've described it!) but I know it works - I do this at home. At work, however, the wireless is a little restrictive and it doesn't work - you may find the same issue, which is why personal hotspot on the iPhone is such a blessing.

The appserver website has good info on how to set this up - check it out. Good luck!

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another "low tech" option would be to buy the Apple VGA Adaptor and a very long VGA cable. Nearly all projectors have VGA input, and this is most likely the way the PC connects already. You may even have a wall plate with a VGA connection to the projector that your PC already uses.

Kricke

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Is there an app I could put on my phone to control my iPad? Then I could leave the iPad connected to the computer and walk around with my phone.

As far as I know there is only one app which lets an iPhone control an iPad and this is keynote remote and only for keynote presentations on the iPad.

The situation may be different for jailbroken devices.

Knut

ssarmazi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kricke said:
@ssarmazi

Very good alternative.
But I couldn't find appserver.
I know two other PC/Mac programs which have the functionality mentioned. AirServer and Reflection.

Could you please give a link to this software?

Thanks Knut.

Sorry, typo on my part. It's actually Airserver that I'm using which you've already found.

Most reactions

Latest posts