What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confused on html5

OP
C

ChIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They never got back to me, guess we are just not important enough, the jerks lol

RussW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's worse is that AT&T U-Verse online is in FLASH!!! Kinda defeats the purpose of having a 3G iPad when your ISP's own content is not capable of being viewed...

Sgroves4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So is it possible to watch fox shows on iPad or do I have to go back to my laptop. This is annoying

Khenic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jayarski said:
Robertlc... Did Fox ever get back to you?
I tried to view a "House" video and got the error on my iPad, but it played without a problem on my iMac.

It works on your iMac because your iMac is using flash to show the video, remember the flash issue is only on Apple mobile devices..

Khenic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sgroves4 said:
So is it possible to watch fox shows on iPad or do I have to go back to my laptop. This is annoying

You'll have to stick to your laptop, unless you want to try one of the browsers that claims to play flash content. I would suggest in this order Skyfire, Puffin, iSwifter. I've used all 3 at different times on different sites with varying degrees of success.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
But I guess, as Mark states, Fox.com doesn't support it.

What is HTML5, anyways?:(

Html5 is a video programme which apple devices supports, unlike flash which as we all very well know are not supported by apple mobile devices, but ok on mac computers. For example with the youtube app, many videos are not viewable due to flash, however if you use safari to go to youtube.com, and sign in, the flash based videos are converted to html5 and be viewed without problem.

Sent from my iPad using iPF, using iOS 4.3.1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good karma said:
Html5 is a video programme which apple devices supports, unlike flash which as we all very well know are not supported by apple mobile devices, but ok on mac computers. For example with the youtube app, many videos are not viewable due to flash, however if you use safari to go to youtube.com, and sign in, the flash based videos are converted to html5 and be viewed without problem.

Actually html5 is not a video programme but a web standard, used for standardising the way web pages are designed/written, part of the html5 standard will be an agreed video codec, currently H.264 is favourite I think. The reason for these standards, such as html5, is that without them the whole internet would be a mess with many browsers and websites being incompatible

The Archangel

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel, thanks for the clarification, for whatever reason i wrongly assumed that html5 is somehow the alternative to flash for video related issues.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are two prime candidates to replace video watching on web sites. H.264 and WebM, both with their own pros and cons. H.264 is supported by Apple and others. WebM is supported by Google. There are two parts to any video system. The program used to write the video to the web site(HTML) and the program used to watch it. The user program, (player) is always given away, but the program to put the video on the web site can cost. H.264 support is built into the iOS, but an app is needed for WebM.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good karma said:
Gabriel, thanks for the clarification, for whatever reason i wrongly assumed that html5 is somehow the alternative to flash for video related issues.

Hey, if you only knew how little I actually know........I steal everyone else's knowledge then appear a gazillion times more clever than I really am!

The Archangel

k7lvo

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What identity have you got you browser set up for? If it's not set up to ID as an iPad, that could be your problem.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Hey, if you only knew how little I actually know........I steal everyone else's knowledge then appear a gazillion times more clever than I really am!

The Archangel

LOOOL, at least you doing a good job of appearing well informed :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF, using iOS 4.3.2

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good karma said:
LOOOL, at least you doing a good job of appearing well informed :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF, using iOS 4.3.2

Dazzle 'em with diamonds and baffle 'em with bulls#*t!

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts