What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Configuring iPad for Wife's Use

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Now that I got the iPad configured just the way I like it, my wife decides she wants one too. Convinced her that she would be better off buying my iPad (at 50% original cost - it is only a month or so old) and I would get an iPad 2. So, got the new toy and have pretty much restored everything to the iPad 2 and am ready to tackle configuring the old iPad for her.

I have an iTunes account, but she does not. I am going to log into her XP account on her PC and create her an iTunes account. If I then sync "her" iPad on her computer will iTunes copy everything from the iPad to her iTunes? I will be removing a bunch of apps from her iPad since her interests are different than mine. Is that acceptable under the TOS?

Once that is resolved I will change to a family plan for MobileMe and get her an account there. The configuration of her Outlook items could be interesting.

Ditto for dropbox/dropdav. The rest of the conversion is pretty much housekeeping (I have already changed her LAN ip address) such as removing my email account info and adding hers, and so.

Are there any issues that might be troubling of which I should be aware?

Thanks.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Reaction score
Slight addition to your otherwise sound plan.

Activate your wife's iTunes with both, yours and her Apple ID, then connect the iPad to the PC and in iTunes select Purchase Transfers, it should copy all apps over into iTunes. You need both accounts, as apps are linked to the account from which they were purchased from, which in this case is yours, or if you wanted to, it would be possible to just use your account for both iPads.

And yes, the terms of service state that you can share apps/movies within your family, with every family member living in the same household, an exception being students studying abroad, they also count as part of the household, if they return home during semester vacation.

OP
M

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you very much! I was concerned about how I was going to make the move to her iTunes account.

Regards.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using iPF

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Neat trick? HA! Hopefully you are joking and actually gave it to her! :)

OP
M

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, she is such a nice lady - after 50 years we do those little things for each other. On the other hand, she gets an upgraded PC out of it because her's kept giving me blue screens when trying to get iTunes going. Old hardware, USB needed replacing, slow processor, and so on. Me thinks she still got the better of the deal. :confused:

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LOL. sound like you guys are nice to each other. I am spoiled. My husband is actually not interested in the whole iPad thing. Just updated his phone after 5 years and has an Android one-not interested in Apple. (was actually a present from me) He got me an iPad in November after months of me saying no, it's ridiculous with me having an iPhone (every version) and a tablet PC netbook and all sorts of computers. (he gets me everything-a real sweetheart, and I reciprocate too with things he likes, but he really goes to town!!!) He got me the iPad anyway, just said the heck with it-went and did it. Now he has talked about getting the 2 and I have to keep telling him please don't as I truly am delighted with my 1 and don't want the money spent on something that will do the same thing for me. Should I decide to become some mad video producer, LOL, maybe then! Seriously, glad you and your wife have one to enjoy and sounds like you got it all set up for her. Enjoy! :):)

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought one for myself last May but my husband "claimed" he didn't want/need one, that his desktop was fine. I sat down here in a comfortable chair, did all my work, surfed, read, lots more and felt guilty. He said he figured he'd eventually get mine when I upgraded (I'm by far the techy one in the family). To make a longer story shorter LOL I bought him one for his birthday last August. As I type, he's reading one of many books he's read in the Kindle app. He surfs, does mail, researches, and is increasing what he finds he can do but he does use it quite a lot. He's not as sure of dealing with workarounds, Dropbox, etc but he's learning and I suspect I wouldn't be able to pry it from his hands now. Neither of us use our laptops and don't often boot our desktops (I do more because I use Photoshop and Lightroom). I loved using the Ipad as a second window while I was doing compilations on a big spreadsheet several weeks ago. He saw the advantage too. Now two Ipads will be a given around here.

Most reactions

Latest posts