What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complaints on ios6

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use lots of maps, and find flaws in all of them, but they're not as terrible as Apple maps.

I'll be avoiding Apple maps until they're at least on par with others. Until they can do as well, I see no reason to switch.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Edit: podcast solution doesn't fully work - as you can't download new episodes from your device without using the podcast app, but if you have the podcast app you can't have playlists. Seems you have to make a choice. Looks like I'm still searching for a proper solution. Any tips appreciated.

For me, Apple ruined several music and podcast functions with iOS 5, so I resorted to alternatives. For podcasts, I bought the Downcast app, which I recommend.

Bummer that Apple breaks things as it tries to improve, forcing users to buy apps to replace what were existing features, but there it is.

susanlackey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It kind of reminds me of when Facebook makes changes and for the next week or so you see nothing but people complaining. Honestly, there is no way they can please everyone. It is inevitable there will be people who love it, people who hate it, people who love only a few things, people who hate only a few things, etc. I'm sure it wasn't Apple's intentions to piss people off. Again, it is impossible to please everyone.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It kind of reminds me of when Facebook makes changes and for the next week or so you see nothing but people complaining. Honestly, there is no way they can please everyone. It is inevitable there will be people who love it, people who hate it, people who love only a few things, people who hate only a few things, etc. I'm sure it wasn't Apple's intentions to piss people off. Again, it is impossible to please everyone.

It's true you can't please everyone. But there's a diff between can't please everyone and what's going with maps. They broke a key feature for many people on what are supposed to be mobile devices.

Diehard Apple fans will defend Apple no matter what and cut them all sorts of slack. There are plenty other users who buy for need, not because they have unending loyalty to Apple.

susanlackey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, I'm not diehard anything. My phone is Android and I just resigned my position as an administrator on an Android forum. But, if Google said maps aren't allowed to be included as a standard app anymore on Apple products, then that is just life. I use what works for me. My iPad does everything I need it to do. I started out with an Android phone, them went to iPhone and am now back to Android again. But, as soon as I am able, I am going back to iPhone because it just works, out of the box. No constant battery pulls, etc., is awesome. And, from what I have seen and based on Apples history, I am confident they will be improving their map app. When I get my iPhone, if I don't find the stock map to be what I need, I will just download another one from the App Store.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, I'm not diehard anything. My phone is Android and I just resigned my position as an administrator on an Android forum. But, if Google said maps aren't allowed to be included as a standard app anymore on Apple products, then that is just life. I use what works for me. My iPad does everything I need it to do. I started out with an Android phone, them went to iPhone and am now back to Android again. But, as soon as I am able, I am going back to iPhone because it just works, out of the box. No constant battery pulls, etc., is awesome. And, from what I have seen and based on Apples history, I am confident they will be improving their map app. When I get my iPhone, if I don't find the stock map to be what I need, I will just download another one from the App Store.

Actually, I was referring to the spectrum of iPad users, not you. I don't know anything about you specifically beyond this thread, on which you said you never used iPad's map app to begin with. In that case, whether the maps are broken now wouldn't matter to you anyway. For those who rely on maps, they matter.

I don't care if Facebook disappeared off the planet, but I know there are plenty of people who'd care, for instance. And I'd expect those users to be loudly disappointed if Apple broke the FB app.

Totlco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree completely! And, you no longer can sort by reviews. I hate the new Ap store interface!

TWR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
For me, Apple ruined several music and podcast functions with iOS 5, so I resorted to alternatives. For podcasts, I bought the Downcast app, which I recommend.

Bummer that Apple breaks things as it tries to improve, forcing users to buy apps to replace what were existing features, but there it is.
thanks, I downloaded Downcast. Is there a way to import the podcasts I've downloaded into iTunes, or do you have to download always directly into Downcast? I prefer to download into iTunes, because ITunes is in the freezone with my internet provider. Nothing I download from iTunes counts towards my data allowance.

I have downloaded a few podcasts into Downcast, to test the smart playlist. It allows me to have a playlist with podcasts from various channels, which is better than than Apple's new podcast App. It still won't match what I could do in IOS5 (playlist with mix of podcasts, audiobook & music content). My original iPad was not eligible for ios6 upgrade, so at least in the car Or at home I can still use this feature. But I like to exercise listening to a playlist of mixed content type. Now the only way to do it is to listen to one podcast station, in order, then manually select what you want to listen to when that one is done. Or use Downcast, but so far I think Downcast only works for podcasts (can't include a mix with music and audiobook content too). Hopefully Apple can fix this or I can find an App that can help.

susanlackey said:
Agree, i know they cant please everyone, but when they break things that worked well, you can't expect pple not to complain. What if, without explaining this would happen, they broke Siri or any other Apple function or Apple App that you loved & used daily, as part of the next iOS upgrade? It was feature you had yesterday, but now you don't. The music and podcast playlists were a key feature for many users, so to many, this is a big deal. Someone mentioned it's like learning something new, like when we first got our iPads. It's not! I don't mind change and learning new ways, and if someone can teach me a workaround to get mixed content into a playlist, I will be very happy to learn new ways.

I am a loyal Apple user, but I won't cut them slack on this. There was no expiring Google agreement that forced their hand to separate podcasts from music and IMHO, they should not have done it without giving us the ability to create multi content playlists. If we don't complain, how will Apple know we miss it?

BTW, is there a way to get feedback direct to Apple?

Last edited:

roman1608

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cannot believe how much worse IOS 6 is!!!! All videos on other sites buffer consistently! What was apple thinking? i am disgusted! No YouTube app either? Everything worse! This is not an upgrade! It is a downgrade! Apple should be ashamed!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
roman1608 said:
I cannot believe how much worse IOS 6 is!!!! All videos on other sites buffer consistently! What was apple thinking? i am disgusted! No YouTube app either? Everything worse! This is not an upgrade! It is a downgrade! Apple should be ashamed!

There is in fact a free YouTube app available in the App Store. I've had no problems with streaming video.

Jamanic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IOS6 update does not allow user to listen only to a video's audio. I used to be able to exit out of watching YouTube (in the YouTube App, or through iCab browser, for example) and then select play from main iOS controls to play audio of a video without watching the video. This allowed me to multitask while playing the video audio. I can no longer get this to work with any App using iOS6.

I hope this is not intentional and will be fixed with the next release.

A
Also

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jamanic said:
IOS6 update does not allow user to listen only to a video's audio. I used to be able to exit out of watching YouTube (in the YouTube App, or through iCab browser, for example) and then select play from main iOS controls to play audio of a video without watching the video. This allowed me to multitask while playing the video audio. I can no longer get this to work with any App using iOS6.

I hope this is not intentional and will be fixed with the next release.

A
Also

I doubt it will be fixed. It is now a standalone app and is not part of the OS, so it behaves like any other app in suspension.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Any audio app can play in the background. Complain to Google. They can fix it.

adape2003

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum but after upgrading two iPad 2's to iOS 6 I wanted to post an issue I am having on them both. Before, when running on 5.1.1, both devices could receive incoming FaceTime calls while sitting with their covers closed and presumably locked. Last night my father made numerous attempts to call my iPad that was just next to me with the cover closed. I notice now that the WiFi is actually turned off or not active when the device is locked or asleep. Even now whilst typing this post I had to stop mid way through to attend to my daughter, just leaving the device on the table with the screen active, and when I returned and touched the screen I was presented with numerous server error messages that I I have lost connection. This phenomena is happening on both iPads and only sine upgrading to iOS6. Is this some unwanted power saving system Apple have decided we need, is it a bug or could it be something wrong with my specific updates? It's rendered FaceTime useless as a pre-session 'phone call is needed to tell me to wake up the iPad!

Anyone else experiencing similar issues?

Regards,

Adam.

Most reactions

Latest posts