What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Compatibility of Ipad with home PC's

justinthehull

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have two desktop pc's at home that use windows 7 and I also have an external hardrive. I know little about computers and less about Mac's, so I'm unsure how compatible an ipad will be with these devices. Will I be able to save and share files between them?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use a Windows 7 64-bit machine to run my iTunes and to keep up with my iPad. They work well together (knock on wood). The iPad is not going to be able to use the external hard drive (no way to hook it up). But, you can use it with the PCs just fine.

You can share files between the iPad and the PCs by using iTunes (note, however, you can have only ONE PC synced to the iPad as the primary iTunes computer. Try to use the both and you will cause yourself more trouble than it's worth). You can also share files between the PCs and the iPad using cloud software such as Dropbox or apps such as Goodreader. Many apps have [free] software that you load on your PC to make communicating between the PC and the iPad relatively easy and painless.

In short, they'll play just fine together! :D

Hope this reassures. Let us know if you have any more concerns.

Marilyn

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have two desktop pc's at home that use windows 7 and I also have an external hardrive. I know little about computers and less about Mac's, so I'm unsure how compatible an ipad will be with these devices. Will I be able to save and share files between them?
Besides Macs, millions of folks are using their iPads with Windows (and even the odd Linux) machines. It interfaces with the iTunes application on your computer (free from Apple). You should have no worries and no problems.

You should be aware though that the iPad is an Apple "gateway drug". Once you start using it, it will make you want more of their products...and eventually to switch. Fair warning. :)

Welcome to the forum and enjoy!

Last edited:

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
You should be aware though that the iPad is an Apple "gateway drug". Once you start using it, it will make you want more of their products...and eventually to switch. Fair warning. :)

You've got that right.

My iPad2 was my first Apple product, but now I have 27" iMac, Apple TV on the Christmas list and eagerly waiting for the next iPhone..... Cant justify the 4s :)

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
richsadams said:
Besides Macs, millions of folks are using their iPads with Windows (and even the odd Linux) machines. It interfaces with the iTunes application on your computer (free from Apple). You should have no worries and no problems.

Ha ha!!! It is a gateway drug (sounds like high school talking about the real thing) I want a Mac computer now. Hate windows but grateful to have something to use when I need to be on a desktop.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 IOS 5.0.1 Update using iPF

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ha ha!!! It is a gateway drug (sounds like high school talking about the real thing) I want a Mac computer now. Hate windows but grateful to have something to use when I need to be on a desktop.

You've been warned...once you go Mac... :D

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
richsadams said:
You've been warned...once you go Mac... :D

You never go BACK!!!! That's OK with me!!!

Most reactions

Latest posts