Pocket Tactics has some fantastic news for real-time strategy war gaming fans today, with the announcement that Commander: The Great War is finally coming to iPad on July 25. The release date has already been pushed back once, so fingers crossed that this one holds.
The turn-based strategy game is the creation of The Lordz Games Studio, which also makes Panzer Corps, and already has a massive following on PC and Mac.
With the storyline being set during the World War I, players get to control either the Entente Allies or the Central Powers, trying to defeat the opposition on the battlefield by commanding your troops, assigning production tasks, and directing research.
By all accounts, this could be the greatest combat game ever to grace the iPad, especially with publisher Slitherine saying that gameplay will be exactly the same ast the PC/Mac version. Here are some of the key features to feast your eyes on, courtesy of Slitherine.
- 5 Grand Campaigns: 1914 The Great War, 1915 Ypres – Artois, 1916 The Battle of Verdun, 1917 The Nivelle Offensive and 1918 The Kaiserschlacht.
- Over 40 unique historical and “what-if” events triggered by conditions on the campaign-map.
- 18 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains, Cruisers, Submarines and Battleships, Fighters, Bombers and Airships. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses, based on their historical performance in the various theatres throughout the war.
- Historical Commanders, each with their own specific strengths, so decide wisely which Commander is most suited to which front. Three types of Commanders are available: Generals for ground units, Admirals at sea and flying Aces to strengthen your air units.
- Research and technology to improve units. Aircraft evolve from fragile tools of aerial observation to deadly ground and air attack planes. Artillery barrages become ever more accurate and powerful. Armour technology unleashes a dreadful new weapon on the battlefield: the Tank.
- Detailed and realistic combat that models supply, morale, terrain, leadership, equipment, training and fog of war.
- Cross platform multiplayer via PBEM++ server system.